New Year Contest - Winners! (1/17/19)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Last week we asked the following question for our New Year Contest:
  • Which characters in each star rarity were played the most in 2018?
We had written down the characters at the time we announced the contest, and the correct answer is....
  • 5-Star: Thanos (The Mad Titan)
  • 4-Star: Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)
  • 3-Star: Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange)
  • 2-Star: Thor (Marvel NOW!)
  • 1-Star: Iron Man (Model 35)
It seems that no one was able to correctly guess all 5 characters, however, there were many players that were able to guess 4 out of 5 of them. Since we have so many players tied with 4 out of 5 correct, we will be going by the first two players to get the closest answer, and those two winners are...
  • 1st: @justsing with the following guess! (Posted at 1/7/19 4:44pm PT)
    • 2-Star: Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
  • 2nd: @HoundofShadow with the following guess! (Posted at 1/7/19 4:55pm PT)
    • 1-Star: Spider-Man (Original)
Congratulations to our 2 winners! Please send me a private forum message by 1/24/19 with your name, t-shirt size, and postal address to redeem your prize! (Please note that if you do not message me by then, we will consider you to have forfeited your prize, and it will go to the player with the next closest guess.)

Thank you so much to everyone that submitted guesses! Keep an eye out next month when we reveal our February forum contest!

Comments

• justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much!! Looking forward to donning some D3 swag ;)

(I had a feeling I’d be off by one... 2* tier is a tricky one. I’m really surprised that no one got 5/5 though.)
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, 1 for 5 ain't bad, lol. I can say though that with the exception of the 2* tier, those were probably all my second choice. 
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby I didn’t care about the contest I was just interested in the answers. Can you tell us which one is the most used character overall?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Lost by minutes (two posts after Hound)   :(

@Brigby, can I get a no-prize  :D

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm honestly surprised Juggernaut isn't the most commonly used 1*. But I guess Iron Man is easier to get and more likely to be used by newbies who might not stick it out.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Update: So in an unexpected turn of events, it would appear that @HoundofShadow was actually just playing for fun since they are unfortunately ineligible to receive the prize.

Due to this, the second place prize will be passed along to @Waddles_Pines as the next eligible winner with the following guess!
    • 5-Star: Thor (Gladiator)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Brigby I didn’t care about the contest I was just interested in the answers. Can you tell us which one is the most used character overall?
    Oh, that's definitely going to be 3-Star Doctor Strange by far. In just the last year alone, he was used in 155,925,091 battles. The next most used character that year was 4-Star Rocket & Groot at 65,404,929 battles.
    So... When does 3 Srange get nerfed?
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lost by minutes (two posts after Hound)   :(

@Brigby, can I get a no-prize  :D

no u can't

Brigby said:
    Update: So in an unexpected turn of events, it would appear that @HoundofShadow was actually just playing for fun since they are unfortunately ineligible to receive the prize.

Due to this, the second place prize will be passed along to @Waddles_Pines as the next eligible winner with the following guess!
    • 5-Star: Thor (Gladiator)
    get prized bro
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well this just goes to show that D3 does keep track of certain “STATS & CRITERIA”. I wonder what else they keep track of...hmmmm
    5 star pulls *cough*cough*
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, I think I got 1 right  :D
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint said:
    Brigby said:
    Brigby I didn’t care about the contest I was just interested in the answers. Can you tell us which one is the most used character overall?
    Oh, that's definitely going to be 3-Star Doctor Strange by far. In just the last year alone, he was used in 155,925,091 battles. The next most used character that year was 4-Star Rocket & Groot at 65,404,929 battles.
    Shhh! Don't give them any more bad ideas. As a 4* player 3* Dr. Strange is the only 3* I use outside of the ones that are essential. 3* Dr. Strange is still the best against Goons IMHO. I have him paired with the 5* Wong Support fully leveled and it's amazing. 
  • Ex_XMan_Man
    Ex_XMan_Man Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Shintok17 said:
    fmftint said:
    Brigby said:
    Shhh! Don't give them any more bad ideas. As a 4* player 3* Dr. Strange is the only 3* I use outside of the ones that are essential. 3* Dr. Strange is still the best against Goons IMHO. I have him paired with the 5* Wong Support fully leveled and it's amazing. 
    Yeah, that would put a ginormous dent in my gameplay.  I always find it difficult to not use him as I am in the end of 3*, just beginning my 4* play.

I think nearly everyone guessed that Strange was the king of 3* land.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That Thor AOE ruling the 2* land. Nice.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In hindsight I should've guessed 2-star Thor; although StormNeto is a well-known combo, Thor has the advantage of being the first 2-star cover most people will get. The true surprise, to me at least, was 5-star Thanos - are people really bringing him in to nuke low-level teams that much?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CNash said:
    In hindsight I should've guessed 2-star Thor; although StormNeto is a well-known combo, Thor has the advantage of being the first 2-star cover most people will get. The true surprise, to me at least, was 5-star Thanos - are people really bringing him in to nuke low-level teams that much?
    Every single easy node in PvE, and some of the early harder ones. Panthos is still a popular hopping team in PvP, especially on new release events. 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    CNash said:
    Yes, Yes I am. :smile:
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    CNash said:
    The true surprise, to me at least, was 5-star Thanos - are people really bringing him in to nuke low-level teams that much?
    Still using him for 90% or more of PvE nodes.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I suppose I don't miss what I don't have; to this day my Thanos is stuck without a single black cover...
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options

DAZ0273 said:
    That Thor AOE ruling the 2* land. Nice.
    I'd say 2* Thor is popular for the same reason 1* Iron Man is popular.  You get 2* Thor covers in Prologue.

For AOE Storm (fed by Magneto) and Ares are better imo.