Half-Thor's Green Cover for 250CP

Doragon
Doragon Posts: 55 Match Maker
edited January 2019 in Roster and Level Help
Pretty much what the title states. I'm currently in 3* land so I'm a little concerned over:
  1. Whether this affects my MMR; and
  2. If this is a good investment of 250CP.
Thank you to anyone that offers advice.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    That's 10 LTs and 12 Classic Legend tokens. It's not worth it. Just BH that guy if he's still the meta. If you play only PvE, then it won't affect your MMR. It might affect your MMR in PvP.

MMR in PvP is based on your top 3 to 5 characters after boosting. If you have a lot of 3* boosted, I don't think it will affect your MMR. I realized that my opponents are easier when I don't have a fully covered or champed PvP essential.

Background/context: I have every 3* champed and transitioning to 4* land.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2018
    Doragon said:
    Pretty much what the title states. I'm currently in 3* land so I'm a little concerned over how it affects my MMR, and also on whether it's a good investment of 250CP, that's 12 LTs.
    Simple answer, if you have to think about it, the answer is no.

If you're throwing your wallet at the screen to the point that the answer would be "yes" then you wouldn't need to ask the question.

(To provide perspective - yes 5* Thor / 5* Okoye is the PvP meta now.  But you'll only get there soon if you're throwing major money at the game.  And if you're not throwing money at the game, then by the time you're making a serious shift to 5* land, there may be a new 5* meta, what with new characters possibly making older characters better with synergistic combos, and nerfs or buffs.  So yeah.)

==

As to the MMR question - from what I've heard it's your top 8 or 9 characters that determine MMR, but boosts are not factored in.  So if you're a player with seven or eight championed 3*s probably you will not have a boosted 3* for an event, but you will probably face players with a full lineup of championed 3*s, and they may be using synergistic teams of boosted characters.  So sucks to be you, but yeah that's how it is.  Or so I hear.  I really don't know for sure myself.

As to whether it will affect your MMR, I think probably yeah.  I mean a base 5* is level 255, and your 3*s are going to be max level 166 so if the top eight or nine characters are factored in, then throwing a 255 in is going to increase your MMR right?  So yeah it should make a difference, and your matchups should be tougher.  Maybe not a LOT tougher but . . . tougher.

Again if you were really committed to 5* Thor then okay you could go that route and if it's tougher so be it.  But again, if you ask the question, then you're not so committed so the generic answer is - no, you shouldn't do it.

If you were a 4* player making the 4*-5* transition and if you already had a number of covers for 5* Thor it might be more an open question.  But as I read it, you're looking into just one cover for 5* Thor.  And though green is a good color for 5* Thor, having a usable 5* character that won't suck in PvP or even PvE is really about having *multiple* covers.  So again, I'd say in this situation, unless you already were *sure* the answer is "yes", the answer is probably "no".

==

FYI, 25 CP Latest Legends tokens pull any of a number of 4*s OR THE THREE LATEST 5*s.  Before Saved Covers, if you opened 300 Latest Legends Tokens or so, you had a pretty good chance of getting 39 or so 5* covers, then Customer Service would swap them around.  Now you don't get swaps, so I think for a 99% chance you want like 500 pulls.  I forget, I haven't done the math myself but I think that sounds about right.  And you want CP as backup.

If you only use 20 CP pulls then you get any number of 5*s possible.  Whatever it is, twenty-six?  I forget.  Anyways figure it out, one of twenty six characters or whatever, or one of three.  Clearly you have better odds of getting more covers on a *particular* character if it's one in three.  That's how it works.

So when you eventually make the transition to 5*s you want a bunch of Latest Legends tokens (the ones that cost 25 CP), and you want a load of CP stored to buy more Latest Legends tokens in case all the ones you open don't get you fully covered 5*s.

You also want to wait for some good 5*s to be in Latest Legends, and hopefully they're somewhat synergistic ones.

That's why you see some threads like "when does 5* Wasp leave Latest Legends".

So when you write stuff like "that's 12 LTs" - I'd say really.  You're going to pull 4* covers from PvE and PvP, and you could supplement that with 20 CP pulls, and that's going to help you cover a few key 4*s.

But once you *have* a few key 4*s that help you cut your times in PvE and/or PvP, those CPs don't represent "LTs" any more.  They represent "LL tokens" - that is, 25 CP pulls that help you make the 5* transition.
  • Doragon
    Thanks for the response guys, I take it the devs haven't released a conclusive statement on MMR and it's largely anedoctal evidence from people then? Because I have about 10 freshly champed 3*s and many of them rostered at 120 and I tend to see 350ish (boosted) characters in PVP.

Also, I'm assuming that LTs are meant for 4*s, while LL Tokens are meant to pull 5*s (because only most recent 3)?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doragon said:
    Thanks for the response guys, I take it the devs haven't released a conclusive statement on MMR and it's largely anedoctal evidence from people then? Because I have about 10 freshly champed 3*s and many of them rostered at 120 and I tend to see 350ish (boosted) characters in PVP.

Also, I'm assuming that LTs are meant for 4*s, while LL Tokens are meant to pull 5*s (because only most recent 3)?
    Yeah, no one's 100% sure how it works. I've heard statements that it averages your highest 3, 5, or more characters, that it does and does not include Boosts, all sorts of things. There are definitely times when it loosens up if there aren't enough people in your slice near your ranking, and it also broadens when you hit certain benchmarks (400 and 800 points, I believe, plus maybe like 650-ish and 900).
    Classic Legends are what you want to pull if all you're really hunting for is 4*, yeah. The only reasons to pull Latest are either because you got a Token, or you're trying to get one of the three current 5*, whether that's to Champ them or just to get at least one Cover so you have them to unlock the 5* Essential node in PvE. If you're just starting to Champ 3*, you don't really need to worry about that for a while yet. Poke around on the forum and read the more current threads on the topic when you've got a minute, and by the time you get to where you're really looking to pull Legends, you'll have an idea of what you're doing.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Doragon said:

It is anecdotal, and the devs haven't released a conclusive statement.  As it is, a lot of players try to min-max anyways.

If you see 350ish in PvP . . . do you have any level 5*s already?  Because that would explain it.  A championed 4* is in the 270 range; a one-cover 5* is at 255 (unless you iso'd it up to 270 which you can with only one cover, if I remember right).  Throw in boosts and poof, level 350s in PvP.

I'd say . . . if you're at the beginning of the 3*-4* transition then you do LTs (perhaps a little less if you're low on roster slots to field assorted 4*s, otherwise you end up having spent CP for stuff you have to sell for iso and that's a waste).

But if you don't have spare roster slots?  Or after you field your first few good 4*s?  Then you hoard CP for the LL pulls.

Opening a bunch of tokens for random 4*s helps pull random covers and favorited covers so you can get the first 13 covers on those few important 4*s.  And that can cut the real time you spend in-game a good bit, so it's a worthwhile pursuit to my mind.

But yeah going with LTs for long term - not so much in my opinion.  By the time you're looking at the next time improvement that involves boosted synergistic 4* teams, you have a broad roster of championed 4*s, and by that time you're looking into the 5* transition anyways.  Well that's how I see it.
  • Doragon
    edited December 2018
    Well, these are my current stats at Rank 40 - https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Doragon/spreadsheet/

Long story short, 10 champed 3*s between 166-176, with 14 3*s at 120. I'm basically trying to champ all my 3*s before I even touch 4*s, but in the recent Luke Cage PVP, I was facing 350 3x3*s (basically almost maxed champed 3*s before boost) at about 700-900pts. That's what got me wondering whether I need to buff up my roster. And also the odd roster with 2 5*s with 1-2 covers each.

MMR has got me really confused.

But yup, I'll take your advice on the 4*/5* tokens front.

EDIT: I mean I could still win the 350 3x3*s, but I need to 3x Health Pack immediately after.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    I have heard although I don’t 100% know, that MMR ignores buffs.

So when you talk about lvl 350 enemies, you don’t mean lvl 350 4*/5*, just boosted lvl 230ish 3*s.

Therefore you are rewarded if you have a diverse 3* roster as you can take advantage of all of the boosted lists to some degree.