This game DEFINITELY needs a SUSPEND SAVE feature NOW

arNero
arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
Three times this week alone have I been playing the game in a Coalition match, had to answer a phone call or something and thus switch window (and put the game in background process; Android phone btw), and when I finally got back to the game to continue the match, the game already forced closed itself and slapped me with a loss that just definitely is NOT my fault.

Seriously, this game isn't like Hearthstone where we play real-time PvP, why must me suffer a loss when the match is stopped, especially forcefully without our consent? Hell, even Hearthstone still gives us a minute of grace period to reconnect should the app crash or there's a disconnection, which, while still debilitating, is much better than instant loss (PS: Hearthstone's single-player modes, on the other hand, also suffer from the same problem as what I'm complaining about here, but there are already people screaming about that there).

So again I have to yell this at you, developers: this game, which doesn't run its matches in real-time, should not IMMEDIATELY penalize a player with instant loss from a disconnect or app crash, and thus you HAVE to add some Suspend Save or Save State feature so that in case the app crashes or we have to switch app and the app crashes in background, we can still continue our match because, hey, we never conceded.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    This has been an issue since the game first came out.

Its actually been fixed one or two times, but never seems to stick
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    @arNero Can I guess you are on iOS?  This has gotten SO much worse since iOS 12. It was annoying before, but now it's hitting unplayable. I've turned off my lock screen while coalition events are on for now. That is NOT sustainable.
  • arNero
    Kinesia said:
    @arNero Can I guess you are on iOS?  This has gotten SO much worse since iOS 12. It was annoying before, but now it's hitting unplayable. I've turned off my lock screen while coalition events are on for now. That is NOT sustainable.
    Oh, no, I'm on Android. But yeah, I can see why you did that; these bugs really make the most enthusiastic players afraid to not see the game screen, which is just wrong -_-
  • arNero
    I would like to double-post just to add something:

I've recently started playing a new game (for now I'm not mentioning the name, but it's a game available on Android) which is in technical sense similar to Puzzle Quest: PvE only, you build a battle team, then sic em on that game's Story Mode and such. That game uses a stamina system (in other words, unlike Puzzle Quest, you can only play a limited number of times per day unless you spend money), and if you lose or concede a battle, no stamina refund either so you can't play the game for up to hours.

Now here's the thing: That game has some connection and/or app problems too, in that sometimes after starting a battle, the game freezes up or fails to load resources properly and I have to force close the app. And surprise surprise: Once I restart the game, it immediately asks me if I want to continue my battle from where I leave off.

Generous, because it means that unlike Puzzle Quest where I can lose a match because the game and/or my phone decides to **** up mid-match, in that other game, I only lose if I actually am underleveled or deliberately concede.

Why can't Puzzle Quest do the same?
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Just because I expect that people start abuse such system be deliberate killing the app to enforce board state before their swap. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Szamsziel said:
    Just because I expect that people start abuse such system be deliberate killing the app to enforce board state before their swap. 
    Yes, There are ways around this potentially though, especially by not allowing any of the random parts to be done locally, only on the server, so if you swap the server knows exactly what happened and there's no such thing as rollback. Or possibly saving random number seeds rather than all the other information depending how things are done.

It probably _is_ very complicated to implement, but definitely way past time.