Guilds of Ravnica coming soon?

Options

Comments

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmmm. I temember the fuss about gilded lotu :)
    on the other hand - ixalan was spoiled shortly before release. There was big complains about costs of the cards (and development answer was - it's already set so we cannot modify it now) - which was decreased later. 
    Having discussion about cards is healthy so please, please - give use some info before it's to late too adjust if needed 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    It sounds to me like it's not a preview that players want (which implies that it's a sneak peek of finished content), but rather an entire beta period for card set design.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    It sounds to me like it's not a preview that players want (which implies that it's a sneak peek of finished content), but rather an entire beta period for card set design.

A mix of both? We want previews, like what we got with Ixalan, a couple of weeks prior to the release of the content. Through these previews we can offer feedback or discuss amongst the community what we like/dislike.

The idea of a beta period for the set likely arises from that same preview in which we the community noticed some glaring issues with the Ixalan card designs either in cost or effect and were very vocal that these designs were flawed and needed to be altered. Unfortunately, due to the short amount of time the preview was up for before the set was released and the patch having already been prepared, none of these changes were made until after the set was released and there was plenty of backlash for cards that we knew weren't going to hold muster.

So because of this, the desire to want to see the sets before release through a preview has been altered to wanting to test the set in order to prevent a similar situation from occurring.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that we're quite tired of not being informed of releases until the week of, and getting previews of that set until one or two days prior to it's release. Especially given that such announcements continue to be done on the forums only and not within the game itself.
  • Brigby
    Options
    @Brakkis Since being able to run a beta for a game feature is now a potential option, thanks to Duel Decks, I can see a world where having a short beta for card sets could also be plausible.

I can certainly bring it up to the team to see if there is any flexibility in development schedule to allow for something like that. 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Brakkis Since being able to run a beta for a game feature is now a potential option, thanks to Duel Decks, I can see a world where having a short beta for card sets could also be plausible.

I can certainly bring it up to the team to see if there is any flexibility in development schedule to allow for something like that. 
    What devs are calling beta was simply early access to the duels event. 

What we are asking for is indeed previews of cards and mechanics, the way paper magic does it.
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    khurram said:
    Brigby said:
    Brakkis Since being able to run a beta for a game feature is now a potential option, thanks to Duel Decks, I can see a world where having a short beta for card sets could also be plausible.

What we are asking for is indeed previews of cards and mechanics, the way paper magic does it.
    Ah I see. You're probably right that preview would be the more appropriate term, since players wouldn't necessarily be able to play those cards ahead of time. I guess technically providing feedback is independent of whether it's a preview or a beta, as it can be applicable to both.

Either way, it's an interesting idea, and I'll bring it up to the team to discuss further.
    Great involvement and interest in our concerns and ideas... much appreciated!!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    khurram said:
    Brigby said:
    Brakkis Since being able to run a beta for a game feature is now a potential option, thanks to Duel Decks, I can see a world where having a short beta for card sets could also be plausible.

Ah I see. You're probably right that preview would be the more appropriate term, since players wouldn't necessarily be able to play those cards ahead of time. I guess technically providing feedback is independent of whether it's a preview or a beta, as it can be applicable to both.

Either way, it's an interesting idea, and I'll bring it up to the team to discuss further.
    It would have a great positive influence on the community. Only seeing that this is finally up to discussion (after asking for it for ages) motivates me!

Plus : if a thousand eyes find problematic combos faster than.. 16? I don't know how many are involved there. Changing potentially broken cards before they make it into the game is way less likely to trigger angry reactions! 

But this would mean a lot of work for you. If you're actually interested, I'm certain we'd find people that would help to filter and compress the feedback!
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    khurram said:
    Gideon said:
    I remember when they used to release previews 2-4 weeks in advance like during the kaladesh block it was cool but they changed the cards at the last second. Everyone especially Noticed torrential gear hulk it was supposed to return the 2 spells back to your hand with full mana but of course that would have created an infinite loop with deploy the gatewatch. The issue is that the cards are in constant flux until release day so previews turn into bad feelings when the final version changes from the preview to release.
    That's just one example. And to be honest it was the players who cried out BROKEN and as a result they changed the gearhulk so badly that I doubt anyone has even touched it.

The preveiws for the zendiker block did the job of getting players excited. 
    I still can't believe they were going to print Gearhulk like that.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby any updates?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, you can tell us if it was planned for this weekend but got pushed back. We’re excited and hungry for content.
  • Brigby
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Brigby any updates?
    Apologies, but I'm afraid at this moment, I don't have any updates available to communicate.
  • NinjaE
    Options
    Brigby said in another thread that version 3.0 is coming early/mid November. Is that a reasonable time to expect this set to land?
  • NinjaE
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation!
  • NinjaE
    Options
    Could we maybe get a preview of some of the cards? Something to whet our appetites while we wait?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    NinjaE said:
    Could we maybe get a preview of some of the cards? Something to whet our appetites while we wait?
    Yeah @Brigby there has to be at least a couple cards that have been completed by now.

Maybe spoil 1 card from each guild with their special mechanic?  WoTC does this for the paper sets and its a great way to tease the set.  I would be really concerned if Oktagon doesn't have the mechanics of the new abilities set yet, so there must be something you can spoil.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agreed here, the devs have to have decided the mechanical implementation of the GRN guild mechanics by now.  Let's get a preview article on that!

• NinjaE
    Options
    Let's talk about sets, baby!
  • Mburn7
    Options
    @Brigby anything?