Guilds of Ravnica coming soon?

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
@Brigby once again we are being left in the dark about a major set release.  It must be coming in the next few weeks, but there has been absolutely no communication on the set and its details.

I know you don't like to give information until it is too late to matter, but come on.  By this stage in the design process you must have at least a couple spoiler cards to whet our appetite and a general release date in mind (doesn't have to be more specific than "Coming end of October")

Comments

• Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I enjoy wild speculation. 

I'm guessing late Oct / early Nov if not later. Only because we just got a big update and paper releases tomorrow. I'm usually wrong but I feel like getting a decent sized update and a whole new set within a 2-3 week timeframe isn't likely.
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Perhaps the short month counter in the daily reward is some indication of expected timeframes?
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Houdin said:
    Perhaps the short month counter in the daily reward is some indication of expected timeframes?
    It looks the same as always for me. 31 days with rewards and 21 days for the bonus superpack.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We’ve been speculating that GRN comes out this Thursday, October 11th.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It'll happen soon.  I just spent all my crystals and they usually release something I really want like right after.

Gamble on the wombat misfortune!
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We’ve been speculating that GRN comes out this Thursday, October 11th.
    God I hope not. I need time to save more.
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    We've not had Vivien yet so can't be this week.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We have had a couple of days heads up last releases with Pre-release notes.
    My guess is another two weeks.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    We have had a couple of days heads up last releases with Pre-release notes.
    My guess is another two weeks.
    Then what’s up with this weekend? Why is there nothing?
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Halloween event patch?

Dunno :s
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Brigby once again we are being left in the dark about a major set release.  It must be coming in the next few weeks, but there has been absolutely no communication on the set and its details.

I know you don't like to give information until it is too late to matter, but come on.  By this stage in the design process you must have at least a couple spoiler cards to whet our appetite and a general release date in mind (doesn't have to be more specific than "Coming end of October")
    Apologies, but I'm afraid at this moment I don't have any information to communicate regarding the next set release.

We usually only release information once the tabletop version of the set has been announced, and primarily once it gets close to the build release date. Guilds of Ravnica was only revealed less than a week ago, so there is still some time before the next build is released; enough time that renders it susceptible to major development changes still.

Once I have more definitive information to share, I'll be sure to inform everyone in the forum.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Brigby once again we are being left in the dark about a major set release.  It must be coming in the next few weeks, but there has been absolutely no communication on the set and its details.

Apologies, but I'm afraid at this moment I don't have any information to communicate regarding the next set release.

We usually only release information once the tabletop version of the set has been announced, and primarily once it gets close to the build release date. Guilds of Ravnica was only revealed less than a week ago, so there is still some time before the next build is released; enough time that renders it susceptible to major development changes still.

Once I have more definitive information to share, I'll be sure to inform everyone in the forum.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Until then, I'm sure we'll have the Q and A posted so we've got things to discuss about :)
  • Brigby
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Until then, I'm sure we'll have the Q and A posted so we've got things to discuss about :)
    Yup! Posting the Q&A is also on my to-do-list for this week, if not today. Just as a disclaimer though, the Q&A for September is on the lighter side, since the team was so focused on the Duel Decks event.

Having said that though, when I post the Q&A, I will also post the Question Submission thread, so players can immediately add their questions afterwards.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:

Wait, you're telling me Oktagon doesn't see the new paper cards until we do on release day (except for the spoilers)?

That is.......interesting.  Not what I would have assumed at all.  Might explain all the design bugs, if all the cards are being created from scratch in only a couple weeks
  • Brigby
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Brigby said:

Wait, you're telling me Oktagon doesn't see the new paper cards until we do on release day (except for the spoilers)?

That is.......interesting.  Not what I would have assumed at all.  Might explain all the design bugs, if all the cards are being created from scratch in only a couple weeks
    Ah. I was referencing when we are theoretically able to begin releasing information, not when our teams receive access to the tabletop card designs. The team begins design of MTGPQ cards before the tabletop versions are released to the public.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Brigby said:

Ah. I was referencing when we are theoretically able to begin releasing information, not when our teams receive access to the tabletop card designs. The team begins design of MTGPQ cards before the tabletop versions are released to the public.
    Whew.  I got scared for a minute there.  But WoTC releases spoilers starting a month or so before the set is released.  It helps build up hype and let people know when the set is being released.

The same thing here would go a long way to quelling the discontent, even if every spoiled card and event had the "subject to change before release" tag.  How you do it now means we are left randomly guessing until the release notes are posted the day before the update.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They need to start doing previews at least a couple of weeks in advance of announcing the patch.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember when they used to release previews 2-4 weeks in advance like during the kaladesh block it was cool but they changed the cards at the last second. Everyone especially Noticed torrential gear hulk it was supposed to return the 2 spells back to your hand with full mana but of course that would have created an infinite loop with deploy the gatewatch. The issue is that the cards are in constant flux until release day so previews turn into bad feelings when the final version changes from the preview to release.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gideon said:
    I remember when they used to release previews 2-4 weeks in advance like during the kaladesh block it was cool but they changed the cards at the last second. Everyone especially Noticed torrential gear hulk it was supposed to return the 2 spells back to your hand with full mana but of course that would have created an infinite loop with deploy the gatewatch. The issue is that the cards are in constant flux until release day so previews turn into bad feelings when the final version changes from the preview to release.
    That's just one example. And to be honest it was the players who cried out BROKEN and as a result they changed the gearhulk so badly that I doubt anyone has even touched it.

The preveiws for the zendiker block did the job of getting players excited. 
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Apply the following line to the previews

"All cards subject to change"

Now people can get butthurt because they can't read.