Thanos Boss Event - Whimpy?

13»

Comments

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    Sim Mayor said: by
    When 4* R&G are boosted for an event, that event is easy. Had they not been boosted I'd have seen Thanos fire a power more than twice.
    Indeed. The only time I saw him fire more than twice was at lvl 400 on literally the last node before the event ended. I placed all of my strike tiles, and then Thanos overwrote most of them with gems. I laughed my tinykitty off and fought him the old-fashioned way.
    Wait...Thanos had powers?
    I know, I was surprised too! :D
  • barrok
    barrok Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    My 2 cents, I think having the required characters is a big enough of a "challenge" for the early to mid players, that making the boss extremely difficult seems unnecessary. It allows people who don't have all the requireds to still be competitive (or play longer) to reach the goals and contribute towards defeating each rank.

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    Okay, first of all I didn't ever use G4mora, or Grocket, or JJ. Overall, my issue is that Thanos feels like a breeze, compared to the other event boss, and he shouldn't. They could nerf or introduce another boss event that's easy. Thanos shouldn't be. And the fact that he can't collect the stones is a huge failing for making the fight feel authentic. I think MPQ has done an amazing job at making the game feel like you are transplanted into the stories, as the fights often feel like the material. Apocalypse is my favorite example, as his mechanics fits his character. Thanos doesn't  feel right, because he's a total wimp, instead of a galactic terror.

As for the other comments I've seen, either you all like the break from the same gameplay, or you agree that this event doesn't feel in sync with either material sources, the comics or the movies. I feel like the first argument is from a passive, reactive stand point as y'all see it as a number of fights to complete. I enjoy the game for the context it makes, the way I can imagine teams interacting personally, as getting the feeling of being in the comics with the way the mechanics work. For example, using 4* Jean Grey, 4* Cyclops, and say 4* Wolverine. This team operates like a squad, their powers overlap wonderfully, and to top it off, they are from a single context. It's easy to imagine Jean lifting an enemy into the air for Cyclops to optic blast.

For this event, I can't even begin to build a scenario in my mind because the entire fight doesn't work the way it should. The stones' powers don't feel that big or interesting, and he's just so inactive. There are so many ways I can think of to improve it slightly. Easiest one? Give him the chance to make matches, and allow him to receive the powers of the stones he matches. The gauntlet making charge tiles is okay, but if giving up that mechanic meant he had more he could do, that would be a huge improvement without drastically increasing difficulty. Still easy to scale his strength down to the round and the player's Shield Rank.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,568 Chairperson of the Boards
    The strange thing for me is that Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet but we get all the perks. That is like the worst supervillain power ever. Maybe the answer is a countdown tile on the stones where if you don't match them in time, Thanos gets the benefit instead. It would need to be quite long but not too long...helpful from me there...
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    The strange thing for me is that Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet but we get all the perks. That is like the worst supervillain power ever. Maybe the answer is a countdown tile on the stones where if you don't match them in time, Thanos gets the benefit instead. It would need to be quite long but not too long...helpful from me there...
    Or have it so that when he destroys them with either row destruction or ensuing cascade, that he gets the benefit...
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alex502 said:

As for the other comments I've seen, either you all like the break from the same gameplay, or you agree that this event doesn't feel in sync with either material sources, the comics or the movies. I feel like the first argument is from a passive, reactive stand point as y'all see it as a number of fights to complete. I enjoy the game for the context it makes, the way I can imagine teams interacting personally, as getting the feeling of being in the comics with the way the mechanics work. 
    The game has jumped the shark in terms of source material.  Just look at Phoenix.  She is to be one of the most powerful mutants in Marvel yet because of power creep and one of the first released 5* she is near the bottom.   
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Alex502 said:

As for the other comments I've seen, either you all like the break from the same gameplay, or you agree that this event doesn't feel in sync with either material sources, the comics or the movies. I feel like the first argument is from a passive, reactive stand point as y'all see it as a number of fights to complete. I enjoy the game for the context it makes, the way I can imagine teams interacting personally, as getting the feeling of being in the comics with the way the mechanics work. 
    The game has jumped the shark in terms of source material.  Just look at Phoenix.  She is to be one of the most powerful mutants in Marvel yet because of power creep and one of the first released 5* she is near the bottom.   

God, the spazzing out of comic fans if they tried sorting the characters into tiers based on how powerful they actually are... it would be insufferable.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    Or have it so that when he destroys them with either row destruction or ensuing cascade, that he gets the benefit...
    He should get some sort of benefit! It is like he has thrown the best party ever with champagne and lobster and a band consisting of the ghosts of Jimmy Hendrix, John Lennon and Elvis and then he pops out to McDonald's with a Rick Astley album in his Walkman.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:
    Alex502 said:

God, the spazzing out of comic fans if they tried sorting the characters into tiers based on how powerful they actually are... it would be insufferable.
    LOL. I am not disagreeing but there are just some that are crazy.  They have the comics, MCU etc to balance but some just make you shake your head. 
  • DAZ0273
    NotBAMF said:
    Alex502 said:

LOL. I am not disagreeing but there are just some that are crazy.  They have the comics, MCU etc to balance but some just make you shake your head. 
    So are you trying to say that a cosmically powered dude who can fly through space and blast moons in to dust really isn't as powerful as a lady with a spear?
  • Alex502
    edited August 2018
    I'm saying that in balance of things, which is Thanos' obsession after all, is that he racks up weaker than his own 3* varient. I'm not trying to compare him to other excellently built characters, or naysay the ones that are similar in how they don't play the way they should feel. It's not about relative power, it's about creating the feeling of the character in the game. Drax, Strange, any Ironman, Invisible Woman after her update, Silver Surfer, Apocalypse, 4* Jean grey, Storm, Lady Thor, on and on FEEL like their characters from the source. This version of Thanos is a far cry from anything he has been portraited as, and I think offering up a weaker version to placate to the top few players is a shame. You're top rosters of all 5* champs can take anything this game has to offer, except PvP against each other. This fight is a huge opportunity to make you work, and really feel like the source material is popping out at you.

I really like the idea of the stones becoming countdown tiles. They might even get fortified as the rounds go, making it EVEN HARDER!!!!! The horror of a good challenge for once. Thanos should be a challenge.

PS the nodes for the boss should NEVER be harder than the boss itself.
  • Alex502
    Here's another idea to change the event. How about Thanos starts out with extra powers for all the stones. He takes no damage, or deals extra damage, etc etc. Point being that he has those extra powers until the player matches away the stones, and that's when we gain the bonus for collecting it ourselves. I think this would be an excellent change to make it feel like we have to steal the stones back to beat him.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alex502 said:
    Here's another idea to change the event. How about Thanos starts out with extra powers for all the stones. He takes no damage, or deals extra damage, etc etc. Point being that he has those extra powers until the player matches away the stones, and that's when we gain the bonus for collecting it ourselves. I think this would be an excellent change to make it feel like we have to steal the stones back to beat him.
    I totally appreciate all of your comments and your willingness to put it out there.  You want it to be more authentic, and still challenging, and fun... And know that I'm on your side of that discussion.

However, as I've found over time, authentic is not what the player base wants, or even craves.  They want something close enough, and plenty of easy ways to get resources.

But we can't blame them.  After all, it takes hundreds of thousands of iso to champ a 4* character, nevermind a 5* one.  1000 HP per slot.  CP is a chance to gamble for a good pull, and the odds are not in your favor.  ...and per fight, we get a couple hundred iso, or a standard token.  Real rewards take tons of grinding and hours of time, and all for what -- a little extra reward on our mobile phone game.

So, after hours and hours of grinding our real life hours away, people don't care about the content as much as the reward.  Some people will go so far to call for a nerf, but its a fleeting thought, when you know that the next over-powered character is right around the corner waiting for players to drop their resources and cash on.

Probably should stop there.  I think I've said enough.  Just keep in mind that while this rant is probably ill-received, I still appreciate Puzzle Quest.  I think it has the ability to be a lot of things.  But unfortunately, its a money-making game for the devs.  If you think they don't know how, or question their ability to make an actual puzzling match 3 game, go play the original Puzzle Quest, PQ2, or Puzzle Quest Galactrix.  They can do it.  Its a matter of wanting to, versus the never-ending paychecks they get with this model.  
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    He should get some sort of benefit! It is like he has thrown the best party ever with champagne and lobster and a band consisting of the ghosts of Jimmy Hendrix, John Lennon and Elvis and then he pops out to McDonald's with a Rick Astley album in his Walkman.
    Ummm...what's wrong with Rick Astley?
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    The solution to power creep is to have events that are more "puzzly" and less able to be brute forced.

It's never good when the player base can hit a high enough level that they can win with the tactic of: match anything, it doesn't matter

An ok example is the guy at the end of Strange Sights. At least you need to use heroes with tile moving/altering powers

Another solution would be that bosses fights deal % based damage. Making it more difficult for higher level rosters, and easier for lower level rosters. But I'm betting plenty of people just want easy cheese, and this would cause a riot
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    After reading this thread, all I have is this to say: Be careful what you wish for.
  • DAZ0273
    maltyo9 said:
    DAZ0273 said: by
    DAZ0273 said:
    Ummm...what's wrong with Rick Astley?
    Rick...is that you?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    DAZ0273 said:

Rick...is that you?
    I mean tell me Rickrolling wouldn't be the most OP power ever.  Now imagine they release Dazzler and she has a Rick Astley support... I cannot begin to fathom the sheer brilliance of her sound powers using the dulcet tones of Mr. Astley  B)  

I love these threads where they kind of go off the rails and then I have to scroll up to see what the original topic was  o:)