Balance out Gambit

13»

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    If you're going to rebalance the tier, it would be a shame to simply switch from Gambit as top of the heap to someone else.  Ideally there'd be no character that is obviously best, with each character being strong against some opponents and weak against others.

If most players end up gravitating towards one character, then that will make other characters appealing to take on those targets.  In turn, this might encourage use of a third character to take on the next set of targets.  In the end, it should encourage a diverse set of opponents to fight against rather than splitting the player base into haves and have nots.
    This is the reason the game should have regular rebalances.  It is unhealthy for one character to dominate the meta.  Now since 5* tier can take a while to champion a new 5* one character could be dominate for a period of time but then by balance changes buffs/nerfs and power creep new characters the meta will change.  Gambit has been at the top for too long because of his AP generation and AP destruction.  Since power creep and buffing an existing 5* would just make a new pair with gambit he should be nerfed in this situation.  
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Nerf him to the fullest extend of the law!
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    @Gold_Dragon

I play to 1200+ and I'm going to echo other players here. If you don't use Gambit, you get hit twice as much when hopping.

It's not that he has the maximum damage output or is invincible. It's just that you're guaranteed to need at least one healthpack, it'll be a slow fight due to the AP drain and your % of wipes will increase. Try beating any Gambit team with Phoenix+OML while hopping at 1200+ and see what happens. 

But regardless of all that, there's a matter of pure mathematics here.

Gambit generates 4AP/round and drains 2 random AP/round.

That boils down to a minimum of 7 AP for his team and 1 AP for the opposing team.

By round 6 he'll fire purple, overwriting any countdowns, by round 7 he'll hit you with red for 15-20k damage. This will happen as he accumulates otherwise a minimum of 21 AP, while you'll have only 7AP.

Literally the only way to catch up is via cascades or killing him with match damage.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I have a champed GladiaThor and a 4/3/4 Gambit. Is it worth spending CP to get the last 2 covers to champ him? I know it'd make PVP a hell of a lot easier, but 500 CP is quite an investment.

The biggest obstacle stopping me from it however, is the fear that I spend the CP (seeing as how RNG absolutely refuses to give me 5* covers anymore) and they need him immediately afterwards.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    I have a champed GladiaThor and a 4/3/4 Gambit. Is it worth spending CP to get the last 2 covers to champ him? I know it'd make PVP a hell of a lot easier, but 500 CP is quite an investment.

The biggest obstacle stopping me from it however, is the fear that I spend the CP (seeing as how RNG absolutely refuses to give me 5* covers anymore) and they need him immediately afterwards.
    I would say no.  If it was your 13th cover then maybe,  500 cp is just too valuable and since you don’t have 5 covers in any one cover you will not get a dead draw.  Just bonus hero him or wait till he goes in the HFH store where one cover will only cost 200 CP instead of 250
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Anon said:

5 star tier feels like it’s dying off at a scary rate , and Gambit is the number one complaint.  If you champ him now, I think you’re hoping to get two months of him, you pray to fet four, and you may only get two weeks.  I know it’s taking them forever, and the OML nerf came like nine months after they first floated it, but we’ve never seen a big drop in engagement before (if that’s what’s actually happening).  After this month, we’re six months out from Amazon digital day.  Shrug.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I don't play in the 5* tier, and I'm never likely to, but it strikes me that seeing Gambits all over the place, all the time, is not a good thing. He seems to be able to make AP far too quickly, so why not slow it down a bit? What about him making only one red and purple per round, and stealing one, rather than two? That would at least give non-Gambit teams a bit more of a chance to beat him and the other team.

Also, some of the other 5* characters are in bad need of a rebalance and an update, such as Banner and Phoenix. More variety in the top tier of the game would surely be a good thing.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    What about him making only one red and purple per round, and stealing one, rather than two?
    How do we spread those effects into 5 covers?
    Simply have no changes for some additional covers, such as going from 3 to 4 covers. There are several powers like this.
  • SlappyDingle
    SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
    He shouldn't have the ability to generate AP without making any matches. That's like some kind of crazy ability you'd give a boss in a boss event.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    BlackBoltRocks said:
    Simply have no changes for some additional covers, such as going from 3 to 4 covers. There are several powers like this.
    Really? I can’t think of any.
    I'm (pretty) sure there have been and they weren't well received.  I can't name any myself off hand, but certainly recall ones where the only improvement is in base powers rather than transformed or vice-versa.

But simple solution - start with giving a 50% chance of generating/destroying ap and ramp it up through the power levels.  Although tbh I find the ap steal more annoying these days than the ap generation, getting rid of that would be enough to balance him imo.