2.7 Release Notes *Updated (5/23/18)

Options

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If, at least for some events, they made the AI a lot smarter, that would be great.
    The other day, I was thinking that it would be great if some of the events said, "The AI will use its ult in this event.". Just something to mix things up and keep things fresh.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    khurram said:
    Will the cards from previous sets also be given the legendary status?
    Yes. The Legendary evergreen will be retroactively added to all applicable cards
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Added Balance Changes section
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It wasn’t worth it to me to play the other supports already (occasionally I would use Jousting Lance, but not much).  This cost increase guarantees I will never use them again until I ever feel the need to get mastery on every card.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Beyond the Gilded Lotus "balance change", why did the other three common cards need to have their "balance changed"? Has anyone even used any of those cards? Now they are even worse which makes them even less likely to be played.
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Those balancing changes are on balance terrible and unnecessary.  Why would you guys do this?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Brigby we hates this! We hates these "balancing" changes forever! 
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    khurram said:
    Again... I'd ask players to actually wait and see how Jaya's ult would work before going overboard with the nerf cries.

I agree, especially since Jaya is mono-red.  Red doesn't have that many spells worth copying, since the big creature damagers only really need to be cast once or twice and the rest are fairly small anyway.  Multiple HUFs won't do much, you're really only getting an extra spell or 2 because of how the hand setup works.  Multiple Inferno Jets will be annoying, but not really op.
    You guys are thinking too much about direct damage spells with this.

HUF + Magmatic Insight + Firebrand Archer. HUF will get copied but the Magmatic Insight's won't since they are fetched; however, they'll discard to open up spots and draw more spells to get copied. The whole time, Firebrand is just hammering the opponent.

Add Rile and Bloodwater Entity/Mage-Ring Bully to just make it worse.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Mburn7 said:
    khurram said:
    Again... I'd ask players to actually wait and see how Jaya's ult would work before going overboard with the nerf cries.

I agree, especially since Jaya is mono-red.  Red doesn't have that many spells worth copying, since the big creature damagers only really need to be cast once or twice and the rest are fairly small anyway.  Multiple HUFs won't do much, you're really only getting an extra spell or 2 because of how the hand setup works.  Multiple Inferno Jets will be annoying, but not really op.
    You guys are thinking too much about direct damage spells with this.

HUF + Magmatic Insight + Firebrand Archer. HUF will get copied but the Magmatic Insight's won't since they are fetched; however, they'll discard to open up spots and draw more spells to get copied. The whole time, Firebrand is just hammering the opponent.

Add Rile and Bloodwater Entity/Mage-Ring Bully to just make it worse.
    Good point, I didn't really think of that, especially since those guys only get +1/+1 on spells and generally aren't worth it (and I frequently forget the Archer exists, despite how useful it is).

Not sure if this would go infinite, though, so it isn't all bad.

An easy fix would to make it only trigger on the first spell drawn each turn (or the first 3 or something) to limit the possibility of insanity.  Although if it only has 2 or 3 shield it probably won't be a huge issue anyway.  That's why I always suggest waiting and seeing how it turns out
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the biggest determiner of whether Jaya will be overpowered is whether the copied spells also have full mana, or if you have to fill them separately. The latter would still be powerful, but so are most of the ultimates, as they should be. I also thought spell slots might be a mitigating factor, but she gets 8 by max level…
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DBJones said:
    I think the biggest determiner of whether Jaya will be overpowered is whether the copied spells also have full mana, or if you have to fill them separately. The latter would still be powerful, but so are most of the ultimates, as they should be. I also thought spell slots might be a mitigating factor, but she gets 8 by max level…
    The description clearly states that when you draw a spell that spell gains full Mana and then create a copy. There is no reason to believe that the copied spell will be given Mana.
  • khurram
    Options
    I also believe that the copied spells will clog up your hand and prevent you from drawing more cards via draw spells.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @LakeStone @Brigby @Oktagon_Daiane

I noticed there was no mention of Standard vs. Legacy TG or QB (whatever it will be called). Yet I distinctly recall a promise that this was coming out with the 2.7 release. Can we get some sort of confirmation of this?
  • khurram
    Options
    Froggy said:

I noticed there was no mention of Standard vs. Legacy TG or QB (whatever it will be called). Yet I distinctly recall a promise that this was coming out with the 2.7 release. Can we get some sort of confirmation of this?
    You distinctly recall wrong.

This is what they said:-

"Will there ever be both a Standard and Legacy version of Training Grounds?
    While this won’t be coupled with Dominaria’s release, we can confirm that there will be a Standard/Legacy version of the Training Grounds event within the relatively near future."
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    khurram said:
    Froggy said:

You distinctly recall wrong.

This is what they said:-

"Will there ever be both a Standard and Legacy version of Training Grounds?
    While this won’t be coupled with Dominaria’s release, we can confirm that there will be a Standard/Legacy version of the Training Grounds event within the relatively near future."
    My distinct memory has failed me!! 😜
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Enygma6 said:
    It wasn’t worth it to me to play the other supports already (occasionally I would use Jousting Lance, but not much).  This cost increase guarantees I will never use them again until I ever feel the need to get mastery on every card.

This is the thing, I can see the need to cut back Gilded Lotus once you take it _in context_ in the set, but the other cards aren't even usable by the look. jousting lance is pretty much automatically worse than the other supports in the same set that give first strike,.
    I suppose it's only benefit is that's colourless, the costing is still a problem.

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram said:
    I also believe that the copied spells will clog up your hand and prevent you from drawing more cards via draw spells.

This is what I believe will occur too. Despite the belief that she'll be an infinite loop. The copies are in fact a stop gap.

• Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    khurram said:

This is what I believe will occur too. Despite the belief that she'll be an infinite loop. The copies are in fact a stop gap.

Magmatic Insight comes with built in discard before it draws. It subverts the copy stop-gap by constantly making room.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    khurram said:

Magmatic Insight comes with built in discard before it draws. It subverts the copy stop-gap by constantly making room.
    Yeah, you're right. It would. Took a bit to write it out but you're absolutely right. It would loop until the end of the match.