Black Widow (Infinity War) (5/1/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited May 2018 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hi Everyone,

"Natasha Romanoff is one of the world's best spies, first serving as a Russian operative and then as an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D, but she finds herself on the run once more after the Avengers disband. Will her years of training be enough to protect the world from a cosmic threat?"

Check out the brand new 4-Star Black Widow (Infinity War), and find out how you can recruit her onto your team!

4-Star Rarity (Legendary)
Heroes, Avengers, Team Cap
blacktilepng purpletilepng yellowtilepng
(Abilities listed at level 270, Power Level 5)
Lights Out - 8 blacktilepng AP
Natasha uses covert weaponry to ensure no one gets past her stunning blows. Black Widow stuns the target for 3 turn(s) and deals 1,461 damage.
(PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, if the enemy is Stunned, Black Widow destroys 3 enemy AP in a random color.

Defilade - 7 purpletilepng AP
When things start to look dicey, Black Widow hacks the enemy's surveillance system to keep herself out of sight and the line of fire. Black Widow creates 4 Invisibility tile(s). While Black Widow's Invisibility tile(s) are on the board, this power becomes Enfilade.

Enfilade - 10 purpletilepng AP
The Black Widow emerges from the shadows and strikes out with her batons, surprising her enemy with a tactical strike. Black Widow destroys her Invisibility tile(s) and destroys 4 enemy special tiles, dealing damage and gaining AP. If there are no Invisibility tiles on the board, this power becomes Defilade.

Brush Pass - 10 yellowtilepng AP
Black Widow passes key intel to her teammate, giving them the upper hand. Black Widow gives a chosen ally a burst of 7,159 health and places a 4-turn Countdown tile on the board. While one of these tiles is on the board, ally powers cost 3 less AP to fire.

Recruit Black Widow!

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training - Heroes for Hire
  • Starts: 5/3/18 7am ET
  • Ends: 5/10/18 7am ET
  • Price: 7,000 Hero Points
  • Contents:
    • Venom (Eddie Brock) - Green
    • Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) - Black
    • 16 Elite Tokens
    • 6 Command Points
    • 20,000 Iso-8
Black Widow & Friends
  • Starts: 5/6/18 7am ET
  • Ends: 5/12/18 3am ET
  • 80 Item Vault:
    • 1 Legendary Token
    • 3x 4-Star covers
      • 1 Random Black Widow (Infinity War) cover
      • 2 Random 4-Star covers from the Call for Backup mission, with an option of the following characters:
        • Yondu (Awesome Mix Volume 2)
        • Venom (Eddie Brock)
        • Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
    • 22x 3-Star covers
      • 3 Featured
      • 19 Random
    • 54x 2-Star covers
      • 10 Featured
      • 44 Random
Special Power Ups
  • Starts: 5/4/18
  • Ends: 5/16/18
  • Type: Black Widow Damage
  • Earned as Progression rewards in Thick as Thieves, S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, and Strange Sights
  • Can be purchased with Hero Points in the Boosts screen before entering a battle
  • Each stack adds 20% damage

Event Schedule

Strange Sights
  • Ends: 5/7/18 2am ET
  • Black Widow (Infinity War) in Placement rewards
S.H.I.E.L.D. Training
  • Ends 5/10/18 7am ET
  • Rewards tokens to Strange Sights, random cover of Black Widow (Infinity War), and more!
Thick as Thieves
  • Starts: 5/6/18 7am ET
  • Ends: 5/11/18 2am ET
  • Black Widow (Infinity War) as a Progression reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Black Widow & Friends Vault
Web of Spies
  • Starts: 5/6/18 8am ET
  • Ends: 5/9/18 3pm ET
  • Black Widow (Infinity War) as a Progression reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Black Widow & Friends Vault

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait.  What?  Strange sights?  Well at least it is Doctor Strange.  Ties into Infinity Wars a bit.  Oooo. Does that mean it will be Thanos as the boss instead of Kaceilius?  @Brigby

Also nice to have a new release PvE and a PVP end within 1 hour of each other. Glad we are back to that. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Defilade - 7 purpletilepng AP
    When things start to look dicey, Black Widow hacks the enemy's surveillance system to keep herself out of sight and the line of fire. Black Widow creates 4 Invisibility tile(s). While Black Widow's Invisibility tile(s) are on the board, this power becomes Enfilade.
    @Brigby: Are the invisibility tiles for this random colours, or limited to the purple tiles on the board?
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018
    If we can't get Howard the Duck into the regular boosted cycle, 4* Widow should be the next best thing, considering the similarities in their powers. This version of Nat looks great, already excited to champ her one day!

And obviously, since we're in a bit of a Gambit centered world right now, it's nice that her stun is cheap and effective for freezing the Cajun, since her other two powers rely on CD tiles. Now if only we could've gotten a stun like THAT in 5* land! I'm looking at you, Warren Worthington III...
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    (Sarcasm) So excited to have a "NEW" character that we don't have in the 1*, 2*, 3*, and 5* tier. So original and very inventive. There were no more characters in the Infinity War movie that we don't have in the game.  :D
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only our fourth black/yellow/purple character, our first Widow a the 4* tier, a stun power with a passive AP drain, an Invisibility power, and a dual-buff with the yellow. Makes me want to pair her with the new Panther and Shuri.

Keeping the newer pattern for Shield Training, two old 4*s (Eddie and Spider-Gwen, the oldest four were Miles, Eddie, Nova, and Spider-Gwen), and the oldest Latest 4* (Yondu, means Mockingbird is next). Grateful for that. Making things accessible to the playerbase so more people have a chance of earning a cover from Shield Training is nice. (you know, the exact opposite of the Infinity Stone situation; it's baffling how this lesson is learned in some areas of the game, and then ignored the next time something is rolled out to the playerbase...)

I like the art, always down for Strange Sights, should be a fun time.

Except that there are no Support tokens of any type in the Black Widow & Friends Store. Not even one. No Red-ISO either. It's like you've set up your own t-ball equipment but still can't knock one out of the park because you won't swing the bat.

Ultimately there's more good than bad here, but there's not enough good stockpiled to let the piddly goofs slip through unnoticed.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Update: Black Widow's SHIELD Training event has Spider-Woman as the required character, not Spider-Gwen. Apologies for the confusion.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s hardly surprising that the new character vaults and store don’t have Support resources. I am sure that those stores have the most HP expenditures already.  No need to spur interest with Support items.

I mean, I ignore a lot of standard PVE stores myself - at most spending 100HP a day.  But I will chase the new character vaults more (usually a 10 pack or two).
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    *Update: Black Widow's SHIELD Training event has Spider-Woman as the required character, not Spider-Gwen. Apologies for the confusion.
    Whelp, there goes the reasonable pattern you guys had established. Tossed it out the window because people had some grasp on what was coming.

Gonna have to clean my desk so there's somewhere to bash my forehead in frustration.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually champed Spider-Woman on a drunken whim several months back and this is the first time I haven't regretted it.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    The damage on Lights Out seems wrong. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    This Black Widow looks REALLY good. Love that she has a stun on Black. Also always looking for Yellow/Purple actives and she seems better than MEH and Fury. 

Sad Strange Sights is the release event though. It’s the one PVE I usually score outside T10 for. Stupid doors!
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    I actually champed Spider-Woman on a drunken whim several months back and this is the first time I haven't regretted it.
    Give Spider-Woman a chance with a blue stunner--Iceman works great, or throw 3/5/5 Cyclops into the mix and have fun actually hitting System Shock consistently.

And speaking of lowering AP thresholds, Nat looks really cool as an accelerator for basically any color with her yellow. Compared with Shuri, she's got a similar ability with a high cost vs a passive with some setup, which I think compares well. I want to see her with someone like Thing (suddenly 7 AP for red/9 for green), or Iceman (2(!!) AP for Blue/9 AP green). I would even try a three-color stun team with Gamora,Sandman/Black Widow for tons of stun passives.
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Can we please very confirmation that the upcoming Iron Spider will be a 4star? And, please, not the third spidey in the 5star tier while we still don't have a 4star Peter Parker.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where was the confirmation you want verified? I was under the impression (and am hoping!) Spidey was the 5. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Would need to see final Power descriptions for all levels, but for now I am thinking a 5/3/5 build. Makes sense to have the two Powers that deal damage maxed out. But you never know, maybe Purple gains a lot in the last two covers...

Could be fun to pair up with 5* Daredevil and 4* Gamora to really go nuts with "if the enemy is stunned" passives and stun Powers in Three different colors. :) Some color overlap unfortunately but I Think I would rather use Daredevil's Purple and Widow's black most of the time.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

Would need to see final Power descriptions for all levels, but for now I am thinking a 5/3/5 build. Makes sense to have the two Powers that deal damage maxed out. But you never know, maybe Purple gains a lot in the last two covers...

Could be fun to pair up with 5* Daredevil and 4* Gamora to really go nuts with "if the enemy is stunned" passives and stun Powers in Three different colors. :) Some color overlap unfortunately but I Think I would rather use Daredevil's Purple and Widow's black most of the time.

Enfilade also does damage, the exact amount of which for some reason isnt listed. Granted, you effectively require 17AP for that

Another good thing about her is that we just need one Purple cover for her 4* DDQ crash

I assumed it would be straight tile damage since it doesn't say otherwise. I could be wrong though.

That could actually be among the upgrades to level 5 - it may not deal damage and/or gather AP at lower levels.

I guess we will see for ourselves as soon as the Strange Sights preview pops up in-game...

• AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    In 4* land, Gamora seems like an obvious partner. Since Gamora's tagging along, Rocket and Groot would of course be an excellent 3rd. Cloak and Dagger could be a nice battery for Widow or Sandman could be good for a 3rd stun option.  
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Interesting power set. Ap manipulator but doesn't really make ap, and her cost reduction is expensive and on a countdown, so it feels like it won't be reliable. Active yellow and black stun will pair well with my only 5* champ Daredevil, so I'm looking forward to getting her. Not a top tier 4* to me, but seems versatile enough to be pretty useful.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Since all powers in this format are listed at 5 Covers, I wonder which would need to be specced at 3 or 4.
    Perhaps yellow? Maybe 5/4/4 if the effects are not too diminished at 4?

(PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, if the enemy is Stunned, Black Widow destroys 3 enemy AP in a random color.
    Should this read: "if AN enemy is stunned", or is it: "if the TARGET enemy is stunned" ?  Because I often rotate a stunned enemy to the back. Otherwise you would need to keep the stunned enemy in front to reduce their AP.

I second the question about which color the invisibility tiles are placed on. Naturally we would assume all 4 are on purple (like Howard, as mentioned), but this could be the first time they are on random colors.   
    I was wondering why you would even spend the 10 purple AP on Enfilade when you could simply stay invisible. But, gaining the destroyed invisibility tile AP, along with the potential enemy-special-tile AP, makes this a very useful ability.

Good design on paper, looking forward to 4BW.