Boss Events Feel Like an ISO Punishment

Options

Comments

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just continue to farm the side nodes for 500 iso on the resets. That should provide the missing element of challenge for some as they scale up thru the event. I will use the extra time in game to farm iso from shield simulator and pvp matches. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not only is it iso punishment but my max covered unchamped quake now needs iso to apply those 4 covers.

Oh the irony...
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It wouod be cool if they had some bigger iso prizes that came after the legendary token in personal placement 

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boss events need a rework IMO
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    That said, I am in a position where I need ISO way more than I need 3* or 4* covers as rewards.
    Boss events are the sacrifice we veterans make for the players for whom the opposite applies. The players trying to transition up and improve. I watch the scores in my alliance and I see the 2-star and 3-star players breaking their backs into the later rounds and posting scores equal to or even higher than some of our vets. To some, those 4-star covers are like gold. For some, LT level tokens aren't as easily attained as they are for us vets, and those players punch waaay above what their roster normally handles to get them.

I love boss events. I love fighting for the betterment of my whole alliance. I'm glad they're running them more often.

I can earn some ISO next week.
    If I were in the 2*-4* position still, being in this boss event and getting three 4* covers basically for free would be a fantastic reward.

For you and me it's just three more champ levels, but I was after Quake for a looong time when she came out. This woulda been fantastic.

That said I do agree with the main post that a little more ISO wouldn't hurt =/
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Tiggida said:
    Jarvind said:
    I don't mind the ISO dearth so much as the fact that once you enter 5* territory they completely stop being a challenge. Even round 8 is a joke when a couple crits will kill the boss, and as always, it goes double if you have The Only Character That Matters (Gambit, if you're new here).

The masochist in me actually kind of enjoyed the original run of Galactus. The one that was wildly, cartoonishly unfair and ignited one of the great Forum Firestorms of our time. Yes, it was horribly unbalanced and clearly never tested, and we got the lamest excuse for it ever ("you're supposed to lose"), but man, when you actually managed to KO him inside three turns, it felt like an accomplishment.

Compare that to Thanos, who I now beat 95% of the time without taking any damage at all, and can sometimes beat before he even makes a move, if the black gem starts off matchable. I'm not saying they should all be as punishing as OG Galactus (or, god forbid, the forsaken Boss Rush), but a happy medium would be cool.
    If you’re using gambit in this particular boss event you’re doing it wrong lol. 
    Using Gambit is never wrong.
    The 4-star versions of both Rocket and Gamora are boosted for this event.  If you've got them champed, this is one of the few (maybe the only?) times where I'd have to say that Gambit isn't your top choice for the event.

I've been running through various teams (Matching the blue Infinity Stone for 30 red AP on the first turn with Hulkbuster ends the match VERY quickly!), but Grocket/Nico are just destroying poor Thanos.
    Grocket and Gambit hasn't been any problem either. I'm not even taking damage against Thanos. Dude is considered broken for a reason. 
  • Borstock
    Options
    Tony Foot said:
    Borstock said:
    Tiggida said:

It is for this event unless he's your highest 5* match damage. The longest level 8 boss match I have had it 4 turns making gambit next to useless. Most are over on turn 2.

I'm working this weekend so embracing the weekend off with this event but I said last year when I didn't even have a 5* that this event was far too easy and with a 5* it's auto pilot. But hey whatever, all these boss events are super easy and it's about 2 years since I lost a round but it's not taking up much time and it's not going to change.

I'd love CL bosses but I guess supports where more important.
    With him being a 5*, the match damage is the reason. 

I think you guys are using "wrong" wrong. Using Kraven would be wrong, because there are no enemy specials to counter. Using a character with an important stun would be wrong because Thanos is immune. Gambit is OPAF. It's never ever wrong to bring him ever. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Yeah, Gambit's not "wrong" but...he's not right either.
    He's just a guy doing extra damage. You'd be better off with 5* Spidey or OML for Thanos since they're boosted. Gambit likely won't get a single move off before Thanos is killed, so you might as well go ith the 5* with the greatest match damage.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still just wish they’d run Gauntlet side-by-side with boss events.  Add more iso rewards while also counteracting both the side nodes scaling out less developed rosters and gaps of story content between boss clears.   Sure it’s not the best so solution possible, but it requires no work for the devs beyond toggling the event “on”, so it might be the easiest one...
  • Borstock
    Options
    Yeah, Gambit's not "wrong" but...he's not right either.
    He's just a guy doing extra damage. You'd be better off with 5* Spidey or OML for Thanos since they're boosted. Gambit likely won't get a single move off before Thanos is killed, so you might as well go ith the 5* with the greatest match damage.
    I think optimal is the word you're looking for. 
  • Pollozz
    Pollozz Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    I really dislike people complaining for every little thing on this game, boss events are the best by far on rewards, and the difference with the iso u can get for a normal pve is not that much, if u really wanna play extra and make up for the loss iso, I have the perfect solution for you. Go and grind the pvp simulator.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Pollozz said:
    I really dislike people complaining for every little thing on this game, boss events are the best by far on rewards, and the difference with the iso u can get for a normal pve is not that much, if u really wanna play extra and make up for the loss iso, I have the perfect solution for you. Go and grind the pvp simulator.

Or they could make the ISO comparable to a PvE minus the extra covers so that's not necessary? Just a thought.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    That said, I am in a position where I need ISO way more than I need 3* or 4* covers as rewards.
    Boss events are the sacrifice we veterans make for the players for whom the opposite applies. The players trying to transition up and improve. I watch the scores in my alliance and I see the 2-star and 3-star players breaking their backs into the later rounds and posting scores equal to or even higher than some of our vets. To some, those 4-star covers are like gold. For some, LT level tokens aren't as easily attained as they are for us vets, and those players punch waaay above what their roster normally handles to get them.

I love boss events. I love fighting for the betterment of my whole alliance. I'm glad they're running them more often.

I can earn some ISO next week.

Yeah, this.  In this event, I got the three Quake and the Yondu covers for progression, and two tokens which gave me a Sandman and a fourth Quake.  Six 4* covers in one event!  The Iso will come in due course.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Borstock said:

With him being a 5*, the match damage is the reason. 

I think you guys are using "wrong" wrong. Using Kraven would be wrong, because there are no enemy specials to counter. Using a character with an important stun would be wrong because Thanos is immune. Gambit is OPAF. It's never ever wrong to bring him ever. 

Really depends. In this event, taking in 5Thor at half life + America meant I never had to make more than two matches (usually 1) to kill Thanos. Didn't matter if I took another 1* with me, or another 5*.

Bringing Gambit into that wouldn't have helped or sped things up any. Gambit is definitely powerful, definitely great in PvP, but he's not the greatest choice in all situations, depending on the rest of your roster.

As for iso... yeah. More would be nice, but eh. It's a short event and there's always Simulator to play in, so... whatever. Many a cover were gained instead. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I like Boss Battles generally despite the lower iso prizes.

This time around I would have preferred somebody else as the reward as it now means I have to champ Quake and save 3 covers ahead of schedule but other members of my Alliance wanted/needed those covers and so I was happy to help. I’ll just have to figure out the iso on my own.

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some day, maybe they will add in SCL to Boss Events. At SCL 9 and so forth, maybe they can provide more ISO.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options

I agree that Boss Events should give more Iso. For instance, why am I earning 250 Iso for beating the Boss when the side Node is always 500 iso or 140 Iso in progression. Regardless, its a tradeoff because we're receiving 3 4* covers as opposed to none. Boss events only hurt those that normally place T10 or their alliance cannot finish all 8 rounds. 

4 Stars are in progression for pve so you're getting 2 extra covers, not 3. With that you get less CP so it's close to a wash.  
  • Qubort
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Tiggida said:
    Jarvind said:
    I don't mind the ISO dearth so much as the fact that once you enter 5* territory they completely stop being a challenge. Even round 8 is a joke when a couple crits will kill the boss, and as always, it goes double if you have The Only Character That Matters (Gambit, if you're new here).

The masochist in me actually kind of enjoyed the original run of Galactus. The one that was wildly, cartoonishly unfair and ignited one of the great Forum Firestorms of our time. Yes, it was horribly unbalanced and clearly never tested, and we got the lamest excuse for it ever ("you're supposed to lose"), but man, when you actually managed to KO him inside three turns, it felt like an accomplishment.

Compare that to Thanos, who I now beat 95% of the time without taking any damage at all, and can sometimes beat before he even makes a move, if the black gem starts off matchable. I'm not saying they should all be as punishing as OG Galactus (or, god forbid, the forsaken Boss Rush), but a happy medium would be cool.

By the time he generates enough red, the match should already had been over. Also, his purple overwrites the infinity stones so you don't want to fire it.
  • Qubort
    Options
    Pollozz said:
    I wouldn't call ISO a "little thing" in this game.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes the iso payout may be poor but it is a nice break from the normal grind.  All the nodes and Thanos took less that 30 minutes.  I had time to start my climb in the simulator and grind a little in the pvp events.  I would be annoyed if all events were as iso poor as the boss events but they are always a nice change of pace and you get at minimum 2 4 stars if your are in a reasonable alliance and max your rewards.