Options
13»

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Wow, some of you guys are really mad that I mentioned Gambit, huh?  :*

If you actually read the original comment, all I said was that 5*s in general make bosses a joke, and it goes even more so for Gambit, because, as always, lolfreeAP.

As far as which character is "right," as long as you're clearing the nodes I don't really see how it matters.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Don't forget that R&G was boosted as well this was a crazy easy event if you had any levels in him as well :)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Qubort said:

I agree that Boss Events should give more Iso. For instance, why am I earning 250 Iso for beating the Boss when the side Node is always 500 iso or 140 Iso in progression. Regardless, its a tradeoff because we're receiving 3 4* covers as opposed to none. Boss events only hurt those that normally place T10 or their alliance cannot finish all 8 rounds. 

4 Stars are in progression for pve so you're getting 2 extra covers, not 3. With that you get less CP so it's close to a wash.  
    There was a 4-star in player progression (Yondu), don't forget, on top of the three in alliance progression. That's four more 4-star covers than usual for anyone SCL 6 or lower, and three extra for anyone SCL 7 or higher. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    There was a 4-star in player progression (Yondu), don't forget, on top of the three in alliance progression. That's four more 4-star covers than usual for anyone SCL 6 or lower, and three extra for anyone SCL 7 or higher. 
    Yes, but only for progression.  If I generally finish T5 or above in SCL8 or 9, then it is not three extra covers.  My placement gives me equal/more in PVE than in these Boss Events.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Qubort said:
    Borstock said:
    Tiggida said:
    Jarvind said:
    I don't mind the ISO dearth so much as the fact that once you enter 5* territory they completely stop being a challenge. Even round 8 is a joke when a couple crits will kill the boss, and as always, it goes double if you have The Only Character That Matters (Gambit, if you're new here).

The masochist in me actually kind of enjoyed the original run of Galactus. The one that was wildly, cartoonishly unfair and ignited one of the great Forum Firestorms of our time. Yes, it was horribly unbalanced and clearly never tested, and we got the lamest excuse for it ever ("you're supposed to lose"), but man, when you actually managed to KO him inside three turns, it felt like an accomplishment.

Compare that to Thanos, who I now beat 95% of the time without taking any damage at all, and can sometimes beat before he even makes a move, if the black gem starts off matchable. I'm not saying they should all be as punishing as OG Galactus (or, god forbid, the forsaken Boss Rush), but a happy medium would be cool.
    If you’re using gambit in this particular boss event you’re doing it wrong lol. 
    Using Gambit is never wrong.

By the time he generates enough red, the match should already had been over. Also, his purple overwrites the infinity stones so you don't want to fire it.
    I used Gambit the whole event and didn't use a single health pack. I never said he was the best option. But I object to anyone claiming it's "wrong" to bring Gambit. It's not wrong. He wins. He wins quickly. He wins easily. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punter1 said:

The difference between a Boss event iso and regular PVE iso is pretty much from the placement rewards.  The Boss event lacks any placement iso which in higher CLs even in T100 is still easily 5k+ daily and probably closer to 10k for forum regulars.  I think my regular daily iso is 40k+, boss events it's under 30k. 

I was thinking about this some more, and figure maybe they should just go for the median. Add enough ISO to Boss progression to be equivalent to what someone would get for t500 placement in a regular event. Still a lot less than what we on the forum are used to getting, but way better than nothing.
  • LavaManLee
    edited April 2018
    Options
    We are also forgetting other things with regular PVE that flow like water and are turned off, for the most part, in boss events : Random Rewards just for completing things, individual rewards for placement in each node, alliance rewards for placement in each node, individual rewards for final placement, alliance rewards for final placement.  It's not simple math but I agree with TPF Alexis that it is at least a 10,000 ISO deficit per day of boss event vs playing PVE.

For example, most days for a 24 hour sub, I can be guaranteed to receive about 6 elite tokens or so from my alliance and my work on the sub.  That doesn't happen with the Boss Events.

Yes, I know this sounds like complaining (and it probably is) but I really do need as much ISO as I can get at this point.  The Boss Events throw a bit of a monkey wrench in to my expiring cover plan and I wish there was some way to do both the Boss Events and not lose out on the needed ISO (short of paying for it).
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All they need to do is reintroduce the Gauntlet along with Boss Events.  The Gauntlet events were great for iso but bad for everything else if I remember.  In addition, the Gauntlet was a play at your own leisure type of event with no placement etc that would mesh well with Boss Events.  
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Yes, but only for progression.  If I generally finish T5 or above in SCL8 or 9, then it is not three extra covers.  My placement gives me equal/more in PVE than in these Boss Events.
    Then you are one of the elite few. For the other 99.9% of us, the cover rewards in Boss events are very welcome.
  • LavaManLee
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Then you are one of the elite few. For the other 99.9% of us, the cover rewards in Boss events are very welcome.
    Unsure if the "elite" remark is sarcasm or not.  Nothing "elite" about me.  Just play PVE optimally for about 45-50 minutes a day.  I am not a whale nor do I have a menagerie of champed 5*s.  Working on champing my 4s which is why the ISO crunch hurts during these Boss Events.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    @LavaManLee

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. If you can consistently place T5 I have nothing but respect for you. But keep in mind the 2-star players, and the 3-star players, for whom 4-star covers and LTs are much harder to come by. The players who hammer at the late rounds of boss events so they can get those (to them) elite prizes.

Boss events are for the whole alliance. They are special to many players because those progression covers mean something to them. Maybe you are in an alliance full of top-end players and all you got was less champ rewards than you normally get from PvE. Not me. I'm in an alliance who has a few players who haven't made the jump to 4-star territory yet. They're not in SCL 7 yet to get 4-star progression rewards. Boss events are special because we fight for them, not us
  • LavaManLee
    Options
    No worries, @Dormammu, I definitely understand your point.  I just wish maybe D3 would throw a bone and maybe either stop the countdown for covers that might be dying on the vine or just up the ISO so it's a wash.  Our alliance did max out the awards and am glad for those who may not have gotten DD/Quake otherwise.  Wish that the ISO, though, would be consistent with what we usually might get in events.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Unsure if the "elite" remark is sarcasm or not.  Nothing "elite" about me.  Just play PVE optimally for about 45-50 minutes a day.  I am not a whale nor do I have a menagerie of champed 5*s.  Working on champing my 4s which is why the ISO crunch hurts during these Boss Events.
    The other 99.5%, to be exact. By definition, T5 placement in 1000-person brackets is for an elite few. "Elite", in this case is defined by availability of playing time around sub flip times and ability to accurately estimate your final clear times rather than pretty much anything else.

Note that there's nothing accusatory about this. I'm T10-20 most of the time, so I'm in an only slightly larger elite group. But the simple fact of the way Placement Rewards work means that they cannot be an option for everyone. Boss Progression (at least theoretically) can.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    More iso + Boss Event Progression rewards are not mutually exclusive. It can be obtained through most of the suggestions above. Add my vote for Gauntlet or System Reboot! Shield Training even.

the argument isn't that we are getting less rewards for work or that 4*covers are not helpful but that there is less of a resource during these times. That fundamental resource that makes the whole thing run.

OP fully acknowledged positions of privilege but was sharing his experience with Boss Events. To a lesser extent I also notice less iso and I'm barely t100, it's a thing. less iso. 

If I post on the forum complaining about negative people; I'm doing it wrong