Vanilla creatures: Can we kick them out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Playing a low level alt with almost nothing is actually good for people who've been platinum for ages... b4t reminded me of older strategies I'd left behind like Gideon's "build a blocker" to deal with hexproof. When you have almost nothing and can't afford to look at the requirements the game is very different.
    We get too used to stuff...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Can we just make them a little more reasonably  costed since there is no need for a 24 mana vanilla 6/6. Even a newer player would be like let me just cast three vanilla 2/2 for 6 mana... it is really a waste of space.

Looking at the swine, a vanilla 6/6 should be double its power/toughness value, so minimum 12 mana to cast. But this is far too generous of a casting cost for a vanilla common. 

I mean even Colossal dreadmaw costs 16 with trample. And in green, a large number of common and uncommon 4/4s range from 8-12 mana to cast (or atleast there is a larger population of them) Therefore, you know it should prolly be over 12 mana but below 16 mana. This is all very rough estimates and done in a few minutes. 

When making vanilla cards, please look at other cards similar to it in the same format (standard vs legacy) and make reasonable cards. Just a thought.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jimpark said:
    Can we just make them a little more reasonably  costed since there is no need for a 24 mana vanilla 6/6. Even a newer player would be like let me just cast three vanilla 2/2 for 6 mana... it is really a waste of space.

Looking at the swine, a vanilla 6/6 should be double its power/toughness value, so minimum 12 mana to cast. But this is far too generous of a casting cost for a vanilla common. 

I mean even Colossal dreadmaw costs 16 with trample. And in green, a large number of common and uncommon 4/4s range from 8-12 mana to cast (or atleast there is a larger population of them) Therefore, you know it should prolly be over 12 mana but below 16 mana. This is all very rough estimates and done in a few minutes. 

When making vanilla cards, please look at other cards similar to it in the same format (standard vs legacy) and make reasonable cards. Just a thought.
    Actually, this all seems really reasonable. Maybe when they've got time it wouldn't be the worst for them to go through and alter P/T and casting cost to bring all the vanillas in line with the standard power level they're pushing?
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Playing a low level alt with almost nothing is actually good for people who've been platinum for ages... b4t reminded me of older strategies I'd left behind like Gideon's "build a blocker" to deal with hexproof. When you have almost nothing and can't afford to look at the requirements the game is very different.
    We get too used to stuff...
    This is a great idea.  It's a great way to learn more card strategies and get a partial idea of what it's like to be a new player again.  Note: even starting a new account doesn't give us the complete picture of being a beginner again, as even with a significantly reduced selection of cards we still have the advanced strategic skills and game knowledge that beginning players still have to learn.

on topic: vanilla creatures should be more affordable *nods head*
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @jimpark Costs of commons absolutely need to be looked at, not just creatures but they are a huge part of it.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I will agree that some vanilla creatures have much too high of a cost.
  • ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    @jimpark Costs of commons absolutely need to be looked at, not just creatures but they are a huge part of it.

The creatures are actually the worst offenders. Most common spells have fairly basic effects, but tend to be costed reasonably, same with supports. Looking through my cards, common spells and supports are mostly found in the lower end of the cost range. Many of them also have utility even in higher level decks. Common creatures, on the other hand, are generally superceded by their rarer counterparts.

• morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    true if they dont offer much for abilities they should at least be decent cost/power wise(not top end but at least decent)
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ard021 said: Common creatures, on the other hand, are generally superceded by their rarer counterparts.

That looks logical after all... The main reason we don't use vanillas is because we got better cards to play. Its very likely those cards won't find a place in high tiers competitive decks even if they get any kind of boost.
       As there is a diference beetween a "not to good because vanilla" and an unplayable card, some of those vanillas could see their mana lowered to remain worth playing ... However, none of them should be an option in front of a rare of mythic equivalent ... If it was so, then that would be a balance issue IMO.