Return to... Training Grounds... Again

Options
Froggy
Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
Okay, so with the arrival of Ixalan, obviously the first thing one would expect would be... right - trying out new decks.

So, I started tinkering and putting up decks that would seem like fun to play. I enter “Training” Grounds with it. Oh! What do you know?! I face nothing but OGW, Oyster Bacon with Olives, etc. So what’s the point of having training Grounds when all you face is Legacy?? Honestly - none if you’re trying to build in Standard. Of course my decks are FAR from perfect or even workable maybe. But if one does not even have a chance to play anything due to the massively OP Legacy cards (in comparison to Ixalan), there’s no proper comparison to make here. Believe me, I love Legacy - when I play Legacy...

Conclusion - Training Grounds is useless, except for rapidly getting your runes and crystals and then head over to story mode... just to cycle stale content and avoid Legacy. But then you face predictable decks all the same time and limited (stale) content.

@Brigby what do you say about this?

My suggestion: Creature TWO Training Grounds DAILY - one Legcy and one Standard. Let us enjoy double rewards (crystal packs went up anyways).

I doubt anyone in the game will complain about this MASSIVE upgrade in the game.

Thanks. Everyone is free to give their input.

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At this point, I'm almost thinking there ought to be a banned list for certain events/formats. In legitimate magic, especially in standard, if one card has been allowed to dominate a format for too long, it gets hit with a ban hammer. Taking down Olivia, Descimator, Skysovereign, Ulvenwald Hydra, and Part the Waterveil out of the equation would open up decks a bit so that it's not the same repetitive OP **** every match.

I know this will upset people, but seriously.... if you've been riding the same card to fast wins for over two years, then I have serious judgy face over your lack of innovation or creativity.
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Having a training for standard would be a very good idea.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    At this point, I'm almost thinking there ought to be a banned list for certain events/formats. In legitimate magic, especially in standard, if one card has been allowed to dominate a format for too long, it gets hit with a ban hammer. Taking down Olivia, Descimator, Skysovereign, Ulvenwald Hydra, and Part the Waterveil out of the equation would open up decks a bit so that it's not the same repetitive OP tinykitty every match.

I know this will upset people, but seriously.... if you've been riding the same card to fast wins for over two years, then I have serious judgy face over your lack of innovation or creativity.

You are not to judge another on their lack of creativity, everyone is free to play whatever  they want and noone has to conform to your standards.
    So put away your ban-hammer .

The OP makes a good point that there should be a legacy and standard trial grounds. Can we have that please?

• wereotter
    Options
    wereotter said:
    At this point, I'm almost thinking there ought to be a banned list for certain events/formats. In legitimate magic, especially in standard, if one card has been allowed to dominate a format for too long, it gets hit with a ban hammer. Taking down Olivia, Descimator, Skysovereign, Ulvenwald Hydra, and Part the Waterveil out of the equation would open up decks a bit so that it's not the same repetitive OP tinykitty every match.

You are not to judge another on their lack of creativity, everyone is free to play whatever  they want and noone has to conform to your standards.

The OP makes a good point that there should be a legacy and standard trial grounds. Can we have that please?

I'm free to judge anyone's choice of playstyle considering it effects me just as everyone else is free to play what they like. Goes both ways.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because of the demolish bug, when I first tried to play Training Grounds it wouldn't accept my deck and I originally thought Training Grounds had become Standard.

I was actually disappointed when that wasn't the case.

Make the training grounds with rewards Standard only.
    Have a legacy one up but with NO rewards, so people can only use it for testing but aren't rewarded for it in any other way, there is zero need to give people anything free for playing with their fastest easiest to play deck.

• Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Usually I do standard in TG to test them ready for the PvP events but yeah a seperate TG for standard only would be good
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree— 2 TG. I like to play my legacy decks without objectives or restrictions, but I would also like a better place to test Standard. 

I would love Standard TG with randomized objectives. Almost like deckbuilding boot camp. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    wereotter said:

I'm free to judge anyone's choice of playstyle considering it effects me just as everyone else is free to play what they like. Goes both ways.
    Judging a card how it affects the gameplay, fine.
    Judging a player because he always plays the same deck? Bloody arrogant...
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'd like to have tg limited only to Ixalan. Just to test new cards and have slower playground to have fun with them.
    Edit: or just consider Training element and rule out all mastered cards
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am totally up for two training grounds events, one for standard and one for legacy. I am in favor of having a place to grind runes with legacy decks, while also having another dedicated place to test and have fun with Standard builds. Totally up for this!
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The problem is that standard TG will not be very different from legacy TG with so many powerful sets in standard. 
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But it will still differentiate the different card sets. You’ll be able to predict what type of card synergy you are up against and cans build for that.
  • wereotter
    Options
    rafalele said:
    The problem is that standard TG will not be very different from legacy TG with so many powerful sets in standard. 
    considering the vast majority of decks I see in Training Grounds are Kothlivia into Decimator and Ulrich... standard training grounds would be different.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just not having to face Deploy every other game would be nice.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Across Ixalan being standard gives us a rough view of standard training grounds and it's so much nicer.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe Across Ixalan sort of delivered on this request?
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Across could almost be a standard training grounds except for a few small issues.

There would ideally be a no gimmick node somewhere.  And that node shouldn't have color restrictions.

If that were the case, then yes.

As is isn't not terrible as a proxy for a standard format TG replacement.  It's just not ideal for testing wacky standard builds (what if I don't want to be at disadvantage to the AI with something else occurring every turn?).

TG I usually find to be a total non-starter for wacky standard deck build testing/enjoyment.  I tried yesterday and had to give up on that.  Most drawn opponents gave zero breathing room and were generic highly-tuned legacy builds in unassailable winning position by turn 4 or so.  My build wasn't portable to Across that day due to the color.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 said:
    Across could almost be a standard training grounds except for a few small issues.

There would ideally be a no gimmick node somewhere.  And that node shouldn't have color restrictions.

If that were the case, then yes.

As is isn't not terrible as a proxy for a standard format TG replacement.  It's just not ideal for testing wacky standard builds (what if I don't want to be at disadvantage to the AI with something else occurring every turn?).

TG I usually find to be a total non-starter for wacky standard deck build testing/enjoyment.  I tried yesterday and had to give up on that.  Most drawn opponents gave zero breathing room and were generic highly-tuned legacy builds in unassailable winning position by turn 4 or so.  My build wasn't portable to Across that day due to the color.
    This goes back to a suggestion I made in a different thread of 2 different training grounds (1 standard, 1 legacy, same rewards for each but can only participate in 1 per day).  Players should have an area to play with their new cards against other real decks and not have to worry about a high probability being nuked on turn 2 (standard).  That being said, players also shouldn't have to worry about their earned/purchased cards eventually becoming entirely obsolete (legacy).