Champing Strategy

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know this is a little off topic, but how many covers do you have of OML?  What level is he?
    It's in my sig, I have 10 covers....but no yellow ones so he is basically useless.  I have not put any iso into 5* characters, so he is level 255.
  • Warbringa
    Ok so I bit the bullet and spent the CP on buying Carol's 13th cover since I had two wrong color covers sitting.  I leveled her up along with Elektra since I had one of her covers expiring as well.  I guess I will eat the Moon Knight cover as it only has two more days until expiration and I won't have the iso to champ him and don't want to spend an0ther 120 CP to buy his 13th cover.  

I have three 4* characters that I can champ (Nova, X-23, Nick Fury), so I will probably just hoard CP for the time being and get them champed.  At what point should I consider opening legendary tokens and using CP? Wait until a few more 4* that I have covered rotate out or use them sooner?  
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I let the token RNG determine who I champ next.  I've been hoarding CP for awhile, but I pull Legendary Tokens as soon as I get them.  Once I get a 14th cover for someone, that is my next champ. I have a few with 13 covers that I plan to champ if I ever clear out my queue.
    Doing it this way means I occasionally have to sell a 4* if I can't get enough ISO in time, or I get yet another blue for my 2/5/2 Iceman, but it keeps me steadily moving forward. 
  • Warbringa
    edited October 2017
    Anniversary event tokens questions - So I have around 600 CP saved up (plus 25 or so latest legends tokens).  I currently only have about 350k to 400k of iso, so not much of a buffer for champing a 4* as well.  My plan was to save CP and finish off the two remaining 4* that I can champ at this time (Nova and Nick Fury) while hoarding CP.  The anniversary event though offers the Fan Favorites store which has some pros and cons to it and is most likely, a once a year offer.  Here is where I am seeking advice:

Should I spend my CP on the Fan Favorites or keep hoarding it and finish my current plan?  

Pros of spending on Fan Favorites:
    • the 5* are more narrow and offer many that I like and have more covers for (being older)
    • the 4* with higher odds (for the most part) I have champed, there are many good ones and the covers for them won't be iso intensive since most of them are already champed
    • this chance may never be offered again
    Cons of spending on Fan Favorites:
    • I am still not close to putting iso or fully covering the 5* offered and they aren't very important at this time to my roster (plus my hoard is actually still pretty small in the larger scope of things)
    • I usually by classic tokens at 20 CP (vs. latest at 25 CP) so I will be getting less draws
    • I really think more covers for the newer characters, since I have been hoarding (Vulture, Mockingbird, etc.), would be more beneficial in the long run
    • If I am interested in specific 5*, waiting for the tokens that offer 3 specific ones may be the better chance of getting them covered (BlackBolt is the 5* I want covered the most)
    Edit: Update since this morning when first posted, I now have an additional 4* that I can champ, Moon Knight, received his last cover amazingly in the right color needed from a heroic token.  I also have 3 extra Devil Dinosaur covers waiting as I need one more red cover.  There is a decent shot I could still come across that as well before anniversary event is over.  
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I don't see that the Fan Favorites store will do all that much for you. It seems to me you have several choices:

1. As you said, continue to pull classics. You'll get more of the more recent characters champed faster, and many of them are very good.
    2. If you want to jump into 5 star land (which it doesn't sound like you do), then continue hoarding and wait until you get the store you want, or until you can do the "massive LT pull and champ", which requires 350-400 pulls.
    3. If you want to split the difference, then use the CP to pull Mes Amis tokens; for 400CP you should get 1-2 Gambit tokens which will help as he goes into Latest tokens soon.

To me, getting champ levels for 20 or 25 CP is a consequence of the way the RNG works, instead of something you should be increasing the probability of. You'll get the champ levels anyway; the question is what's the best way to move the rest of your roster.

I've  used about 500 CP on the Mes Amis store, but once that goes away I'm going to go back to classics. I got a head start on Gambit, 3 Pheonix and 3 OML covers (of course, I spent the first 400 when the store was bugged to give 25% 5*, but I've gotten 2 OMLs since). 

Your mileage may vary of course, and there's no Bolt in Mes Amis. 

• Warbringa
    I don't see that the Fan Favorites store will do all that much for you. It seems to me you have several choices:

1. As you said, continue to pull classics. You'll get more of the more recent characters champed faster, and many of them are very good.
    2. If you want to jump into 5 star land (which it doesn't sound like you do), then continue hoarding and wait until you get the store you want, or until you can do the "massive LT pull and champ", which requires 350-400 pulls.
    3. If you want to split the difference, then use the CP to pull Mes Amis tokens; for 400CP you should get 1-2 Gambit tokens which will help as he goes into Latest tokens soon.

To me, getting champ levels for 20 or 25 CP is a consequence of the way the RNG works, instead of something you should be increasing the probability of. You'll get the champ levels anyway; the question is what's the best way to move the rest of your roster.

I've  used about 500 CP on the Mes Amis store, but once that goes away I'm going to go back to classics. I got a head start on Gambit, 3 Pheonix and 3 OML covers (of course, I spent the first 400 when the store was bugged to give 25% 5*, but I've gotten 2 OMLs since). 

Your mileage may vary of course, and there's no Bolt in Mes Amis. 

I think that makes a lot of sense abominatrix.  Thanks for the advice.  I think my rational, logical part of my brain was thinking just as you pointed out but the irrational, I want to open tokens now, part of the brain was trying to convince me that I may be missing a nice opportunity.  I think will wait a bit longer and continue to hoard as I should be able to champ a couple of more 4* over the next month or two and then pull classics to try to get the newer 4* better covered.  
  • Warbringa
    Question on who to champ next as all are at 13 covers (or will be in the next few days)? I only have the iso to champ one atm and none of them have covers waiting. 

Moon Knight
    Mordo
    Nick Fury
    Nova
    Carnage
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa said:
    Question on who to champ next as all are at 13 covers (or will be in the next few days)? I only have the iso to champ one atm and none of them have covers waiting. 

Moon Knight
    Mordo
    Nick Fury
    Nova
    Carnage
    Mordo is essential in Deadpool vs MPQ, so you will get another cover for him soon enough. There are worse reasons to champ someone.
  • abominatrix
    If none of them have a cover on the vine, there is no rush.

I usually let the vine decide. If you have guys already at 13th covers, then see who you get a 14th one of first and champ him. You have several pretty good characters there (essentially everybody except Fury, and even he has his uses), so you can't go too far wrong. 

If I HAD to choose, I'd probably choose Mordo, but Nova and Moon Knight are pretty good too.

• Warbringa
    Quebbster said:
    Warbringa said:

Moon Knight
    Mordo
    Nick Fury
    Nova
    Carnage
    Mordo is essential in Deadpool vs MPQ, so you will get another cover for him soon enough. There are worse reasons to champ someone.
    Sorry should have clarified, I will get Mordo's 13th cover from this PvE.  Everyone else has 13 but he is at 12 and I know I will get his 13th in a few days.  
  • Warbringa
    Ok I have champed a number of 4* over the past few months.  I now around 130k in iso working towards enough to champ my next 4*.  I just pulled a 14th Sandman cover a few days ago and could reasonably get enough iso to champ him.  My other options are Carnage and Mr. Fantastic.  Both Carnage and Mr. F seem like much better 4* than Sandman, although I don't have the extra cover for either of them.  Carnage is my personal favorite of the three.  

I am ok with ditching the Sandman cover and instead focusing on Carnage or Mr. F.  What would you guys do in this particular scenario?
  • abominatrix
    I generally don't champ 4* at 13 covers unless the character is a complete game changer (like Vulture). None of these qualify, so I wouldn't champ either Carnage or Mr. F until another cover drops from the sky. I share your ambivalence about Sandman; I champed him just this morning (he's my 45th champ), and I probably wouldn't have bothered except I had 4 covers on the vine.

So, I would either do nothing, or champ Sandman and grab the legendary. Since he's not very good, I don't feel very strongly about it.

• lakanta
    lakanta Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    I find the game likes to repeatedly give you gaps in your current roster to the point that you need to roster them.

I went from 1 to 5 sandman dying covers in the 14 days of deciding what do to (so I did and still have not used him) and have just had the same thing happen with Lockjaw.

I feel your pain though.  I currently have 7 13 covers to level and back down to about 20k iso again...

For me the list is red hulk, xwolv, Jean grey, thing, drax, Kate bishop and x23 with a cover going to be on the vine for the last as soon as I cash a 13 days to daken champion level cover.

red hulk and thing both look really good to champ with the current meta 
  • Warbringa
    Yeah Red Hulk is really good when boosted and even unboosted in several situations.  Thing is popular with the Spidergwen/Gambit team.

One other option, I do have a SpiderGwen at 5/3/2 so I could level her up to level 209 and have the use of the autostun feature with her 5 purple with a 0/0/5 Gambit while that is still around.   
  • Warbringa
    Ok, so I have my first 5*, Daredevil, fully covered.  I have not invested any iso into 5* at this point as I am still champing 4* and have built up a nice 4* roster.  I am champing Mr. F today has I have 2 covers on the vine and I will have four 4* fully covered to champ right now (Carnage, Drax, Spider Woman, Winter Soldier) and four more at 12 covers (Mockingbird, Kingpin, Rogue, Ghost Rider).  My current plan is to whiddle away at the iso backlog and champ these 4* and let DD slide out of latest tokens so that I can hopefully make more pulls to get more Gambit and Thor covers.  I mainly play PvE.  

Does this strategy make sense for my roster or should I not focus on most of these 4* since I have the best 4* already champed and invest iso into DD at this point?  Since I don't play much PvP, my current thought is to continue to build the roster and try to max out 5* Gambit and 5* Thor as best I can and then go back to hoarding latest tokens and CP.  
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Without any covers on the vine, I would say spend some iso on Daredevil. I softcapped him at 360 before I pulled his 14th and champed him. Its a nice way to dip your toe into the 5* waters, and its cheaper than champing a 4*. The 4 you have covered should not be champed until you have covers on the vine, and even then I wouldn't worry about it too much. They are all vintage, so you probably won't be wasting much if you sell any extra covers you get for them. Mockingbird and Rogue are the only 2 that interest me at all. At 360 he will be lower than a high level boosted 3*, so it won't change pvp.

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Warbringa said:
    Ok, so I have my first 5*, Daredevil, fully covered.  I have not invested any iso into 5* at this point as I am still champing 4* and have built up a nice 4* roster.  I am champing Mr. F today has I have 2 covers on the vine and I will have four 4* fully covered to champ right now (Carnage, Drax, Spider Woman, Winter Soldier) and four more at 12 covers (Mockingbird, Kingpin, Rogue, Ghost Rider).  My current plan is to whiddle away at the iso backlog and champ these 4* and let DD slide out of latest tokens so that I can hopefully make more pulls to get more Gambit and Thor covers.  I mainly play PvE.  

Does this strategy make sense for my roster or should I not focus on most of these 4* since I have the best 4* already champed and invest iso into DD at this point?  Since I don't play much PvP, my current thought is to continue to build the roster and try to max out 5* Gambit and 5* Thor as best I can and then go back to hoarding latest tokens and CP.  
    I just got covers 12 and 13 for Daredevil yesterday. He is my 2nd fully covered 5* but the first was Silver Surfer so I didn’t raise him. Here is what I’m going to do. 

I will I’ll stop pulling lengendary tokens until he leaves Latest soon. I’m going to use spare Iso to level him to 360 and play with him there while I try to get more Gambit covers. If I get a 14th for any 4* that’s not champed I will champ them first. 
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    If you're pretty much strictly a PVE player then I say go ahead and champ DD.  From what I hear he's a game changer and a champed 5* will make PVE go MUCH quicker, especially when he's the essential 5*. 
  • Warbringa
    edited January 2018
    So I am close to the fabled land.  I recently max covered 5* Gambit and am working on champing him (still need about 200k in iso to do so).  I will update my roster to reflect recent changes tonight.  I have 5* DD max covered but have not put any iso into him.  I also have Thor at 11 covers, who I plan on getting to 13 but my focus will be on trying to get Black Bolt eventually to 13 (currently at 7 but will be at 8 soon and will have 5* bonus heroes set to him).  I am going to champ Gambit, my question now is, being mainly PvE but looking at possibly doing more PvP with a champed Gambit, would I be better off letting my other 5* stay at 255 (or 360) and using Gambit plus a champed 4* in PvP or put iso into DD and use them together?  I have heard PvP MMR really changes significantly once you have two 5* champed.  While DD is a good 5*, he doesn't really blend great with Gambit (who prevents you from using DD purple).  Since champing Gambit is a huge change to my roster and may get me playing more PvP, what would be the wise thing to do?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa said:
    So I am close to the fabled land.  I recently max covered 5* Gambit and am working on champing him (still need about 200k in iso to do so).  I will update my roster to reflect recent changes tonight.  I have 5* DD max covered but have not put any iso into him.  I also have Thor at 11 covers, who I plan on getting to 13 but my focus will be on trying to get Black Bolt eventually to 13 (currently at 7 but will be at 8 soon and will have 5* bonus heroes set to him).  I am going to champ Gambit, my question now is, being mainly PvE but looking at possibly doing more PvP with a champed Gambit, would I be better off letting my other 5* stay at 255 (or 360) and using Gambit plus a champed 4* in PvP or put iso into DD and use them together?  I have heard PvP MMR really changes significantly once you have two 5* champed.  While DD is a good 5*, he doesn't really blend great with Gambit (who prevents you from using DD purple).  Since champing Gambit is a huge change to my roster and may get me playing more PvP, what would be the wise thing to do?
    Best thing to do is probably to start slow and just champ Gambit. It is indeed a different world with two champed fivestars, so you really should wait until you have two that work well together.