Oh my god Banner is so bad.

Options
2»

Comments

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your right about the kick me sign.... I love seeing any team with Banner....
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,163 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    No, that's Matt Hardy.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    There's such a thing? I legit have never come across any Banner in PvP
    Few and far between, but they exist and it's an easy win. He really doesn't do anything on defense, especially if you deny green.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    I did a couple of times. Back when I was in 3* land. He was about right in those circumstances.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    I have, a couple of times. Back when I was in 3* land. Even then, he wasn't that impressive.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Quebbster said:

3* Hulk was pretty good when he was first released.

He was never stellar though, and he is showing his age.

Yep.  His red was always a consolation prize, only fired after all other skills were done and you completed a careful count of green tiles on the board, when no other red was available.  But his green and passive black were solid skills at the time, and I took particular joy in running him with 3* Daken: his passive generates green matches and strikes, gave strike-boosted AoE and cascades, and left Hulk with green AP for decent damage and huge board shake, on a green-heavy board that would then feed more green AP and replenish strikes.  It was my favorite combo for a few months back then in, what, 1924?  I remember that tying an onion to your belt was the style of the day...
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Update: the Gambit boost has made this far more bearable. I have him boosted roughly to where a freshly-champed unboosted 5* would be, and Gambit/Banner actually works. Machine gunning red gathers enough AP to compensate for Hulk stupidly wasting all the good matches, and Ragin' Cajun can overwrite the hostile attack tiles from Bannerform black.

Granted, the current PVP being Strange complicates this a bit, but I'll take what I can get.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bearable, but... actually better than just running a different 5*?
  • Jarvind
    Options
    Bearable, but... actually better than just running a different 5*?
    Well, no, but my only other option currently is Phoenix, who wouldn't be able to do anything since her actives are purple and red.
  • Deeznutz1234
    Deeznutz1234 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I can’t believe they haven’t fixed this garbage yet.  I guess they’re focused on releasing yet ANOTHER new hulk to have to waste hp to roster so he can sit there and do nothing the other banner hulks in the game. Hulk is one of the most popular and one of the most powerful characters ever in the marvel universe and his first 5* representation deserves much much better than this. 

There are a lot of simple and easy adjustments that would immediately make this toon much better but I would settle for just playable at this point and if it could maybe be useful every now and then, well that would be fantastic. At the very least, fix him so that hulk’s matches gain the ap from the matched tiles.  It’s one thing to not give a team ap from destroyed tiles (even though plenty of powers do that too - except for red hulk which seems to be a theme here) but to not get AP from tiles matched by your own team just seems to go against the most simple and most basic game mechanic logic there is. Especially considering the really good point the original poster made about how half the time, hulk’s tile matches can actually work against what’s in your team’s overall best interests as he often sacrifices more important strategic matches and gameplay for not that impressive match damage. It’s a **** compromise and a wasted opportunity.  If the designers think that allowing for hulk’s matches to gain AP also enables hulk teams to gather an unfair amount of AP too quickly then maybe try and balance this power out with other sort of game mechanic such as something like making all other active powers for your team cost an extra 2 ap to fire when hulk is active or something like that. I’m not the game designer here but I’m sure there’s a creative design balance out there that would allow for this power to be significant and useful and unique while not making banner OP.  As it is though, it’s definitely just not that impressive of a passive power, especially for a 5* - and double especially for a banner 5*. Right now, the down side of the power (forgoing strategic board control) more than outweighs the up side (extra match damage each turn). If you’re not going to allow banner teams to collect that AP, I agree with the other poster about his match damage needing to be much more significant then.   Something needs to be fixed here though.   It’s just not working as is. 

While im on the subject of brainstorming ways to make really crappily designed 5*s playable and worthy of the time, energy and effort it takes to chase and collect their ultra rare covers, let’s also take another look at doc oc. He’s definitely another totally wasted opportunity and one of the worst of the worse when it comes to the 5* tier.  Just like banner though, he’s almost playable and not horrible and could benefit greatly from just rethinking some of his current powers.  He doesn’t need a total redesign or anything too drastic but he does need something. Badly.  If it were me, I’d either significantly reduce the cost of his green or do way with level 1 entirely so that upon casting that initial 10 turn cd tile he starts healing immediately.  It’s not a lot of matches that one can save up the 13 AP required to cast his green in the first place but then having to wait another 10 turns for it to resolve and do anything at all is just completely unrealistic not to mention having to collect the amount of AP required for casting each of the others levels on the power from there on out.  That power was obviously not thought out from an actual gameplay stand point at all.  Otherwise, the tentacles power was almost cool but having them only make extra matches when oc is stunned basically just makes it so they never make any extra matches.  He should go ahead and get an extra match and gain AP for every tentacle tile on the board.  If that’s too much of a buff, then I’d suggest doing away with the damage caused by casting the tentacle power and just have each tentacle tile, up to 4, match tiles and gain ap.    It seems to me that this buff would actually make the toon something like an actual octopus on the board and make this toon something to reckon with. At least make him something like that could actually be useful in some situations at least and would make him
    much more fun to play and could actually give him a shot at competing with all the other much more effective and powerful big boys out there. 

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The boss rush version of him actually felt scary, because his green generation was actually something.  If the next Hulk is a 5*, I still think there's a possible way to buff Banner and have them coexist or at least have two separate roles.  
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    No, that's Matt Hardy.
    WONDERFUL!
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oh my god banner is OBSOLETE!
  • Dayv
    Options
    While im on the subject of brainstorming ways to make really crappily designed 5*s playable and worthy of the time, energy and effort it takes to chase and collect their ultra rare covers, let’s also take another look at doc oc. He’s definitely another totally wasted opportunity and one of the worst of the worse when it comes to the 5* tier.  Just like banner though, he’s almost playable and not horrible and could benefit greatly from just rethinking some of his current powers.  He doesn’t need a total redesign or anything too drastic but he does need something. Badly.  If it were me, I’d either significantly reduce the cost of his green or do way with level 1 entirely so that upon casting that initial 10 turn cd tile he starts healing immediately.  It’s not a lot of matches that one can save up the 13 AP required to cast his green in the first place but then having to wait another 10 turns for it to resolve and do anything at all is just completely unrealistic not to mention having to collect the amount of AP required for casting each of the others levels on the power from there on out.  That power was obviously not thought out from an actual gameplay stand point at all.  Otherwise, the tentacles power was almost cool but having them only make extra matches when oc is stunned basically just makes it so they never make any extra matches.  He should go ahead and get an extra match and gain AP for every tentacle tile on the board.  If that’s too much of a buff, then I’d suggest doing away with the damage caused by casting the tentacle power and just have each tentacle tile, up to 4, match tiles and gain ap.    It seems to me that this buff would actually make the toon something like an actual octopus on the board and make this toon something to reckon with. At least make him something like that could actually be useful in some situations at least and would make him
    much more fun to play and could actually give him a shot at competing with all the other much more effective and powerful big boys out there. 

Venturing off-topic here, but one simple idea I had for Doc Ock was that his tentacles could generate blue and green AP so he has some hint of a chance at the multiple green and blue skill activations that he requires to be viable.
  • Deeznutz1234
    Deeznutz1234 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dayv said:

Venturing off-topic here, but one simple idea I had for Doc Ock was that his tentacles could generate blue and green AP so he has some hint of a chance at the multiple green and blue skill activations that he requires to be viable.
    That would be a step in the right direction   I’d be happy with any sort of improvement on banner and doc oc. They’re both fantastic toons and deserve quality representations in the game as opposed to what we currently have.  Disappointed. 
  • Jarvind
    Options
    Really hope Banner gets a buff soon. And I'm only saying that because, after cashing in in the FFW store, my Banner is at 4/5/2 (from 3/3/1). What I would give to swap those four covers for Thor...
    I've actually switched his purple to 3 covers to delay his transformation and started using his black in conjunction with Daredevil or Gambit to overwrite the negative tiles. It's still not great, but the tiles he makes really are pretty strong.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Hilarious post. Very funny. Made my morning. Then I remembered I have a level 462 banner.

I was using him with Gladithor for a bit and didn't see too many attacks but I was purely using him for green gen for Thors aoe. He needs a rework. Generation of ap for his huik matches and more green gen would be good. It would make him a better pair for Thor then too.

I think that maybe some form of board smash would be better . So he changes. Then every turn he smashes the board up a bit. Doesn't deal damage but can generate ap from cascades. Every time he does it he looses health. So you get maybe 5 smashes out of it before he does himself in.

In that time he can be taken out earlier but also has the chance to really effect the board, generate ap for himself and his team and has basically gone atypically nutty. If he dies he can come back again and rinse and repeat.

the match damage from possible cascades would be either tasty or awful but that would be the 50/50 for using him.

• Dayv
    Options
    Yoik said:

I was using him with Gladithor for a bit and didn't see too many attacks but I was purely using him for green gen for Thors aoe. He needs a rework. Generation of ap for his huik matches and more green gen would be good. It would make him a better pair for Thor then too. 

I think that maybe some form of board smash would be better . So he changes. Then every turn he smashes the board up a bit. Doesn't deal damage but can generate ap from cascades. Every time he does it he looses health. So you get maybe 5 smashes out of it before he does himself in.

In that time he can be taken out earlier but also has the chance to really effect the board, generate ap for himself and his team and has basically gone atypically nutty. If he dies he can come back again and rinse and repeat.

Banner's green generation is one of the most limited passives in the game.  Using him for that reason only is mostly just wasting a slot in your team, sadly.

I don't think self-damage for his Hulk form is a good idea, though, unless his health pool were increased.  It's just too low for that to be the design without weakening him even more than he already is.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first response when I saw this (thinking it was a new thread) was that someone was preemptively complaining about Main Event Hulk before stats were even out.