Oh my god Banner is so bad.

Options
Jarvind
Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Disclaimer: This is a useless complaint thread. Go and and click Back now if you don't want to read one of those. Unless you're on the dev team, then PLEASE keep reading.

So I recently re-entered the 5* fray - the bugged Mes Amis tokens let me champion Phoenix, and shortly after I pulled a 14th Banner. Now, I had heard that Banner was bad, but I figured he was "bad" in the same way as post-nerf OML - not utterly gamebreaking like Thanos, but certainly not the worst character ever.

Oh my. So incorrect. So very incorrect.

Obviously, Bannerform is borderline useless. Gamma Ray Experiment is laughable, as the board is rarely so green-starved that it even triggers, and even then it only creates 1-2 tiles. The piddly amount of damage it does is negligible at the 5* level as well. So this might as well not even be there.

Smartest Guy in the Room's friendly attack tiles are actually pretty beastly - 1300ish per turn, each - except that the enemy attack tiles are a long way from negligible, so it's dangerous to fire unless the match is nearly over anyway. And of course, the friendly attacks always seem to land dead center, while the hostile ones tend to end up wedged in a cozy, unreachable corner.

But the true awfulness doesn't come out until he transforms. Oh no, dear reader.

His auto-matching. It's cleverly disguised as an extra match to let you capitalize on high 5* match damage. However, its failure to gain AP means it's actually a frigging sleeper agent of stupidity and awful designed to cost you matches and healthpacks and erode your very soul.

See, it's an auto-match. Controlled by the AI. You know, the same AI that we beat 98% of the time because it's really freaking dumb. So while Hulkform is ostensibly throwing out free punches, what he'll actually do is waste every good match on the board and happily gobble up all your friendly tiles.

There's a green match-5 that you could use to fire Smash? Nope, he's gonna match that for you.

Cage put out some handy protects to keep you out of harm's way? Ha! Nah, he's gonna match those for you.

You've got some of Banner's own freaking attack tiles munching enemy HP? HE'S GONNA MATCH THOSE FOR YOU.

Your damned Phoenix went down and will revive on the next turn? LET ME GO AHEAD AND ^$@%&! MATCH THAT FOR YA, GOOD BUDDY.

You thought you were getting free moves. What you actually got was a drunk toddler grabbing your phone every 20 seconds and shrieking I'M HALPING! I'M HALPING!

The year is 2106. I haven't won a single game in decades. 

His green is okay, I guess. It's nothing special but it gets the job done.

Comments

• Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jarvind said:

See, it's an auto-match. Controlled by the AI. You know, the same AI that we beat 98% of the time because it's really freaking dumb.

I feel you. It's the same with 4R&G, you have to put down the Nuke tile if, and only if, you can guarantee that he can't mess it up for you.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving him the moniker of Bag-Hulk, since he is the 5* Bagman.

I'm also thinking about saving 720CP to complete mine (2/5/5) because the recent changes have soured my experience in this game a lot and I'm thinking Hulk could be an answer to at least give me some laughs.

And I am hopeful that he gets a Ragnarok re-work/buff soon. He's close to being really fun (though maybe never competitive). I'm also scared that he doesn't get a buff, but they release another 5* Hulk with the gladiator garb and make Banner completely irrelevant (which isn't quite the case for Spidey, but 2 5*s of one character was a shock when it happened).
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pongie said:
    But rocket & groot gains the ap while banner doesn't. Big difference there

Yeah, and with some of his strikes usually still alive by that time, he tends to do more damage as well.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    jackstar0 said:
    I'm thinking of giving him the moniker of Bag-Hulk, since he is the 5* Bagman.

I'm also thinking about saving 720CP to complete mine (2/5/5) because the recent changes have soured my experience in this game a lot and I'm thinking Hulk could be an answer to at least give me some laughs.

And I am hopeful that he gets a Ragnarok re-work/buff soon. He's close to being really fun (though maybe never competitive). I'm also scared that he doesn't get a buff, but they release another 5* Hulk with the gladiator garb and make Banner completely irrelevant (which isn't quite the case for Spidey, but 2 5*s of one character was a shock when it happened).
    "Bagner" seems like the obvious portmanteau.
    Isn't that what we're going to call Nightcrawler?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah... I covered Phoenix and Banner on the bugged classic odds day. Since that day I've covered Thanos, Parker, Ock, and Daredevil. I champed Phoenix right away. I've champed Thanos, Parker, and Ock. Currently building the iso to champ Daredevil..... Banner..... Still sitting at 330 fully covered.... I'll get to him..... Eventually.....
  • ThePunishers
    ThePunishers Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Lol this post made my morning!
  • Jarvind
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Honestly, if they just:

- Make Gamma Ray Experiment either always generate 1-2 green tiles per turn, or else greatly increase the green threshold for it to trigger
    - Let the automatches gain AP

He'd be fine. I like all of these suggestions but I think it's unrealistic to hope for a rework on an old character to include brand-new mechanics they could use to sell a new one.

Here's hoping they rework BannerHulk at roughly the same time as the release of WhateverTheNewMovieIsHulk as an effort to improve Hulks overall. Hell, might as well fix 3* Hulk's awful red while they're at it.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Honestly, if they just:

- Make Gamma Ray Experiment either always generate 1-2 green tiles per turn, or else greatly increase the green threshold for it to trigger
    - Let the automatches gain AP

He'd be fine. I like all of these suggestions but I think it's unrealistic to hope for a rework on an old character to include brand-new mechanics they could use to sell a new one.

Here's hoping they rework BannerHulk at roughly the same time as the release of WhateverTheNewMovieIsHulk as an effort to improve Hulks overall. Hell, might as well fix 3* Hulk's awful red while they're at it.
    Completely agree.  All they need to do is have him gain AP like they do with a 4* character we all know and have him automatically generate green tiles every turn. He then becomes a quasi-green battery that is somewhat more scary since he could conceivably just keep turning into the Hulk with more green tiles out there on a reliable basis.  
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm just surprised that all the Hulks in game are trash. He seems to be an easy character to represent. He smashes stuff. Hard. Then he smashes more, and harder. He should be a tank, with a nuke, and he should smash harder when he takes damage (at certain thresholds). You can add that clap he likes to do if you want him to have an AOE. 
  • Jarvind
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm just surprised that all the Hulks in game are trash. He seems to be an easy character to represent. He smashes stuff. Hard. Then he smashes more, and harder. He should be a tank, with a nuke, and he should smash harder when he takes damage (at certain thresholds). You can add that clap he likes to do if you want him to have an AOE. 
    Well, Red Hulk and Cho are pretty good, though Cho was an embarassment too before his rework. But yeah, OG Bruce Banner can't catch a break.
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sorry, all Banners was my meaning. Rhulk, and to a lesser degree Cho deserve respect. Even She-Hulk has more utility than either Banner Hulk. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

3* Hulk was pretty good when he was first released.

He was never stellar though, and he is showing his age.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm hoping with the start of the next season and the release of the thor movie next week. Or next character fixes are

3-sentry
    4-Xforce
    5-Banner
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lol I use banner all the time in PVE.  I use him with OML and use his auto match to double dip on strike tiles.  Also if Hulk gets hit with a power I don’t use a health pack.  He is fun to use.  Is he great no but he is not awful
  • Jarvind
    edited October 2017
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Lol I use banner all the time in PVE.  I use him with OML and use his auto match to double dip on strike tiles.  Also if Hulk gets hit with a power I don’t use a health pack.  He is fun to use.  Is he great no but he is not awful
    Sure, in PVE any champed 5* is at least serviceable. In PVP he's hilariously ineffective on offense (I discovered today that Hulkform dying against Thanos counts as a "kill," what fun), and on defense is basically hanging a big "KICK ME PLZ" sign on your back.

Fortunately I fully covered Daredevil today so once I get him leveled, I can shelve Bruce until he gets reworked or I'm having a particularly masochistic kind of day.