A plea for the Hulk

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
As a founding member of the Avengers and one of Marvel's most popular characters for the last 55 years, the Hulk is a pillar of Marvel comics. He stands with Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and Wolverine as a logo for Marvel's brand.

His two most famous catchphrases are: Hulk Smash! and Hulk strongest one there is!

Except, it seems, in Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Now, among star levels, there is always going to be a 'bottom tier'. I accept that. What is unacceptable is when the Hulk is among them. His 3-star version isn't bad, it's flat-out broken. His black power is a brilliant mechanic for the character - the more you damage and anger the Hulk, the more dangerous he becomes (the madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets). Yet, as a player strengthens their Hulk by increasing his level (and thus his health) this power grows weaker and weaker because the damage required to trigger it is a percentage of Hulk's total health; if I'm not mistaken, characters should grow stronger as they increase in levels, not less effective. His red power is one of the most convoluted powers in the game, requiring a degree in mathematics to understand and a second degree in theoretical physics to actually utilize well. While other characters self-synergize, by using Hulk's red he handicaps himself by denying himself green. I'm fine with the damage to allies, when the Hulk gets smashy things tend to get messy, but this power needs to get rid of the green-draining mechanic and attack the enemy for AoE. It also needs to cost less AP than the ridiculous amount it currently does (14). I'm not going to get in-depth on his 5-star version because I've never used it, but the wide consensus among the player base is that the Hulk is tied with Doc Ock as being the worst 5-star.

This situation needs to be corrected. The developers have been doing a great job of re-balancing characters and the Hulk needs to be moved up the queue ahead of second-rate characters like Kingpin and Ghost Rider. 3-star Spider-Man was given the treatment when Homecoming was released and it was awesome. The Hulk plays a major role in the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok and it is a great opportunity to re-balance Hulk.

Please make this happen, so your loyal consumers can play one of the most important and popular characters in the Marvel Universe. We all want to.

Comments

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have used Smash a few times. But either because it was my only active red power and I could miss the green, or to finish an enemy before they could fire a power. (for clarity : this is not meant as a counter to Jaedenkaal's claim, I don't have a math or physics degree :wink: )

On topic though: I agree with this. Hulk could really use a rework. 
  • stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Banner, gets a bad rap..  how having an aoe attack as well as a free attack every turn as well as regeneration is bad I just dont understand.....his downside just got highlighted because when changes to hulk, he becomes an easy target for thanos...  That may be the only tweak required...killing hulk shouldn't count as a kill for thanos so it doesn't trigger his power .
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    stewbacca said:
    Banner, gets a bad rap..  how having an aoe attack as well as a free attack every turn as well as regeneration is bad I just dont understand.....his downside just got highlighted because when changes to hulk, he becomes an easy target for thanos...  That may be the only tweak required...killing hulk shouldn't count as a kill for thanos so it doesn't trigger his power .
    I just championed Banner and he just needs a slight buff to be really good.  Number one his green AOE is just too week for a 5*.  They can either bump up the damage to 10K or lower the cost to 6 AP so it does the damage OML yellow does.
    number 2 when he makes the match as Hulk it should generate AP.
    3rd his ability to place green on the board should trigger if there are more green AP.  Bump this up to if there is under 12 tiles generate 2.  
    Lastly when Hulk goes down I does not trigger Thanos court death.  This should be a big fix rather than a buff.
    overall these changes would not make him OP or meta but would make him  significantly better.