Neverending PvP

marshall
marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
Just want to add my voice to the ongoing chorus of the neverending grind. I've been playing the Cyclops PvP, fighting champed Cyclops, Star Lord and Riri over and over in the last 3 hours. Every two fights and I need health packs and I'm only at 31 fights. I've hit 900 ages ago.

Everyone I talk to complains about the exact same thing. The game has become a death march.

I was totally in favour of win-based progression, but 40 wins is a long, long, long time to be playing, with the additional 2 grinds on PvE, and the LRs, and Simulator 72 wins.

So many people quit in our family of alliances and I'm just halfway there in frustration.

Surely there's some middle ground where we can play without having to grind for 4-5 hours a day for full progression? Wasn't that the realm of placement?
Tagged:

Comments

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Oh, good. I was worried we were running out of new threads discussing PvP and 40 wins.

I fee like I need to create new accounts so I can "LIKE" this as many times as it deserves.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    This strat has been posted a couple times, but apparently not enough.

Beat seed teams with 1*/2* team (3-8 wins)
    Wait a day 
    Beat 2* retaliation nodes with 3* team (10-12 wins)
    Wait a day
    Beat 3* retaliation nodes  with 4* team (10-12 wins)
    Use the remaining wins to push/shield hop for placement. 

Takes maybe 2-3 hours of total play over 3 days for 40 wins. Almost no health packs used for the first 30 wins or so. 

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @NotBAMF it's funny.  I see you comment a lot. Now I see you are a 6 month to 1 year player. You wonder why people are talking about the 40 wins?  Please see the poll I posted and you voted on.  Look at the percentages.  That's why. The long term players know what this is doing.  It is destroying the vets and progression.  That's the bottom line. 
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but I like the grind of PVE, sort of relaxing while watching something on the tube.  Now that I think about it, the 40 wins is probably based off the 40 wins necessary in PVE to get the timers going (10 nodes 4 clears each).  Now, imagine if those 40 wins were mostly filled with 2 L450+ 5* characters and a 3* of varying levels and you get 2 days to do it.  You would say forget this crud...and yet that's now what PVP is
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    I just turned the corner on my quest for 40 wins to get my long lost last Ghost Rider black...

0/5/5 Gambit 3 plus 3/5/5 Professor X is insanely good.  Always have the purple for PX, mucho cheap abilities with Gambit red, always one of my favorite ways to play. Perfect with Ghost Rider.

I found an element of fun, and SNAP the job's a game!!!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone expect an immediate change? The sense I get is that people against the current state of PvP expect to login tomorrow and have their CP reward added back in and the total number of wins needed reduced to 16.5. And dangit, if that doesn't happen right now, they're starting a new post on the forums.

I don't like 40 wins. I'm not going to grind out 40 wins in PvP... ever. I'm going to get my CP at 16 and I'm done. I don't care if there's 13 5-star Gambit covers waiting for me at 40 wins - I have better things to do with my life.

Hopefully I'm not the only one. Hopefully the data shows that the player base at large has no interest in grinding to 40 wins. Then maybe it'll be reduced next season. And the season after. And the season after, until a number is reached that is more acceptable. GIVE IT TIME, people.

Or, maybe the developers just hate us. If that's the case, no amount of complaining here is going to change anything.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards

Here is the thing, we know it will not change now but us as commanders and trying to run alliances are trying to plan for next season already.  This has a MAJOR impact on a lot of us and how we are going to move forward.  

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Nobody expects a midseason change.  If we know changes are being evaluated, there's maybe light at the end of the tunnel for a lot of discouraged players. 

The worst thing that could happen would be for there to be continued radio silence on this, and the next season rolling out with the exact same format.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    What i can see from many many posts is that people who never were able to hit 900 points love the system, and are happy because they can hit it without using HP, which essentially enables them to be f2p , which is great for them i suppose. What i also know, and rockett said it himself, is that lots of vets, those people who had no issues hitting 1200 points before spent thousands of dollars and are treated with radio silence. In order for a game to be successful and last more, the game needs spenders, and once you chase them off the game will die. The point is that most of the vets just want to know that devs are considering the impact that this season has on entire player base. 
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker

The worst thing that could happen would be for there to be continued radio silence on this, and the next season rolling out with the exact same format.
    And given how our feedback on the tests was seemingly received and ignored, we can remain cynical and fully expect this to be the result.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    There's been heaps of these threads and I apologise for adding to the shouting, but thought it's important to keep  the conversation going.

I was in favour of the win system, since it removes the insane pressure for non-5* owning players to quickly make it to 900 for the cover before they are multihit back to 700s.

That said, 40 wins is a lot when you are constantly fighting 4* boosted nodes (can only imagine fighting Gambolt nonstop).

Like some mentioned, you can't really compare it to PvE since most of those fights are softballs where you have a huge level and power set advantage.

@Brigby
    Is there any ongoing conversation by devs based on vets' feedback on the new system? Perhaps a hybrid points/wins system? Total play time per day is incredibly high atm...
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Cyclops pvp was always one of the more health pack intensive versus events.  Red/Black AP is attracted to that donk like moths to a flame.  
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sandmaker said:
    This strat has been posted a couple times, but apparently not enough.

Beat seed teams with 1*/2* team (3-8 wins)
    Wait a day 
    Beat 2* retaliation nodes with 3* team (10-12 wins)
    Wait a day
    Beat 3* retaliation nodes  with 4* team (10-12 wins)
    Use the remaining wins to push/shield hop for placement. 

Takes maybe 2-3 hours of total play over 3 days for 40 wins. Almost no health packs used for the first 30 wins or so.
    Which is missing the point, since that's still 1-2 hours more than it was before
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    I played an hour yesterday lunchtime, got to 22 wins.

Played a while in the evening, watching TV, as I had health packs left from PVE, got up to 34 (I think).

Played while walking into work this morning and got to 40.  It was about 750 points I think, with 30 hours left in the event (knocked back to 509 as I type).

And, honestly, I havent played excessively.  Ive probably put less time in than I did under the old world, and got more reward (as I was always hit and miss on the 900).

Yesterday I played maybe 2 hours.  Today will be about 80 minutes.

It hasnt been a slog, it hasnt been arduous.  Its been quite fun, Im seeing and using a variety characters in matches - and the stress free nature of it makes it enjoyable.

This is such because of a few things:

Ive stopped playing PVE competitively, which means some 30+ matches less every day.  The few extra PVP matches still leave me playing less over all.

I am only interested in progression in PVP, and so points on matches are irrelevant, which means I dont struggle to find matches and I dont need to shield and loses are no issue at all.

I am a 4* player, so my MMR isnt as bad is it appears to be for higher level rosters.

For once I seem to have found myself in the sweet spot for the effect of changes, and so Ive had a massive QOL improvement.  And my enjoyment of the GAME has gone up, because, very simply, I just play.  

I dont stress about timings, about quick clears, about shields, about optimum strategies - I just play and its lovely.

It struck me a while back that to be competitive in PVE and trying to compete (at least for 900) in PVP as I was, was costing me in the region of 3+ hours a day.  Or, in other terms, basically one whole day of every week.

Its obvious when you think about it, but its something that just creeps up on you.  You invest more and more, and never really stop to think about it.

Now I see people here paying thousands of real world currency in as well.  I just cant believe it.

I would suggest just for your own potential benefit, you all to stop playing for a couple of nights, and just have a think about it.

I did, and I didnt miss playing.  I felt I could do more constructive things with my time, more enjoyable things, because ultimately:

Its a MATCH 3 MOBILE GAME BASED ON A COMIC BOOK LICENCE.

It should be fun.  It shouldnt cost you so much time, effort, money and stress.  Get some perspective - its just not worth it.

Now Im not trying to be preachy, Im just hoping to prompt some to sit back and question things.

"Fun" means different things to different people.  I appreciate that.  And that heavy investment might well be someones ideal scenario of fun.  Personally I found I was not enjoying the game, and having dialled back my "investment" I am actually having fun again.

So, food for thought, maybe.