**** Agent Coulson (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) ****

Comments

• shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Teaming Starlord with Coulson in the Hawkguy pvp is tons o' fun.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    IM40, Kingpin */5/*, Coulson gives silly levels of AP. If only the damage output was better!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    Mine is 3/5/3 with 2 purple covers in queue. Tempted to spend 240cp to finish him off. My hawkeye could use him as a partner and it's cheaper than pulling 10 classics and hoping 2 of them are him without being purple. 
    Got tired of wiping to hawkeye/coulson team last pvp. If you can't beat them, join them. Spent the command points and championed coulson. 
  • Chunga5836
    Chunga5836 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2017
    I saw one other person say it but Coulson and Hawk5 Clint Barton are crazy fun. After 3-4 turns they just start generating stupid amounts of AP. You can actually run out of blue tiles change into countdowns from Hawk5's blue and red abilities. He might have 2-4 arrows in flight a turn. Get someone with green and black in the other spot.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw one other person say it but Coulson and Hawk5 Clint Barton are crazy fun. After 3-4 turns they just start generating stupid amounts of AP. You can actually run out of blue tiles change into countdowns from Hawk5's blue and red abilities. He might have 2-4 arrows in flight a turn. Get someone with green and black in the other spot.
    Yeah, her name's C4rol. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Just champed him, and respeced from 5/3/5 to 4/5/4. Since my 5-star Hawkguy is a 0/2/0, I've been using him with 4-star Star-Lord and Drax. When a goon fires off a power, Star Lord triggers. When it expires, you get 5 random AP, and Drax does a fair amount of damage to the offending goon.  Against those Teisatsu ninjas that Turn to Smoke when they die, Drax's black can also get rid of some of those annoying attack tiles.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:
    Yeah, her name's C4rol. 
    I was using them with Ghost Rider before Hellfire stopped being a Countdown. Now it's Totally Awesome Hulk for the green/black and free countdown tile which Hawkeye protects so it will resolve. Mastermind Excello nowhere near as powerful as Photonic Barrage of course. Guess I can swap the two and see how much I prefer Energy Manipulation feeding into Best Laid Plans.
  • DarthDeVo
    zodiac339 said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Yeah, her name's C4rol. 
    I was using them with Ghost Rider before Hellfire stopped being a Countdown. Now it's Totally Awesome Hulk for the green/black and free countdown tile which Hawkeye protects so it will resolve. Mastermind Excello nowhere near as powerful as Photonic Barrage of course. Guess I can swap the two and see how much I prefer Energy Manipulation feeding into Best Laid Plans.
    I suppose it doesn't work if you're looking for an active on each of those colors, but the idea is to get Photonic Barrage out for the strike tiles. As CD tiles resolve, C4rol will buff them and Coulson gains AP and does damage, boosted by the buffed strike tiles. The only drawback is sometimes Coulson will accelerate Photonic Barrage, decreasing the number of strikes C4rol puts out. 
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    DarthDeVo said:
    I suppose it doesn't work if you're looking for an active on each of those colors, but the idea is to get Photonic Barrage out for the strike tiles. As CD tiles resolve, C4rol will buff them and Coulson gains AP and does damage, boosted by the buffed strike tiles. The only drawback is sometimes Coulson will accelerate Photonic Barrage, decreasing the number of strikes C4rol puts out. 
    Funny thing about CoulHawk Danvers, it pretty quickly turns into a race to see who can toss out strikes first. I run Coulson at 5/4/4 for the extra AP on blue, and the extra strike on yellow. Get the blue/red/CD train rolling, then see who gets to strikes first. Coulson yellow? Carol black? Hawkeye's Sonic Arrow @ #4? If you get any of those, and any kind of cd spam, you can take out just about anything. I myself have H5 at 4/3/2 lvl 341, Coulson @291, and C4arol @ ~273, And have taken out a champed Panthos with them.
  • DarthDeVo
    JablesMc said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Funny thing about CoulHawk Danvers, it pretty quickly turns into a race to see who can toss out strikes first. I run Coulson at 5/4/4 for the extra AP on blue, and the extra strike on yellow. Get the blue/red/CD train rolling, then see who gets to strikes first. Coulson yellow? Carol black? Hawkeye's Sonic Arrow @ #4? If you get any of those, and any kind of cd spam, you can take out just about anything. I myself have H5 at 4/3/2 lvl 341, Coulson @291, and C4arol @ ~273, And have taken out a champed Panthos with them.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the fact that Hawkey5 will fortify the CDs and pick up red and blue AP as CDs expire too, not to mention add to the fray with his blue and red. 

Clint is only 4/0/1 for me, so I'm kind of missing a crucial component, otherwise I would run this team way more often. As it stands, it's pretty much a Big Enchilada only team right now. 
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
     It's like watching the arrows fall at the beginning of gladiator >:)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Yeah, her name's C4rol. 
    I use Coulson, Carol, and Medusa, and have EM feed Call the Cavalry, which is a very powerful way to get some powerful boosted tiles out there. Medusa isn't strictly necessary here if Coulson already has the strongest match, but she's a good outlet for some Attack tiles that can be boosted as soon as any of the CtC tiles start expiring.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    That is a great team, with the only problem being, that the Call the Cavalry CD can only be generated once Carol or Medusa fires a power. Therefore, Carol's black is probably your only way to get that started (and, black should be your priority of course). It's just wasteful to play Carol's yellow on Medusa's CD just to get the boost to any attack tiles on the board. Thankfully though, Coulson's purple is a great way to line up blacks and make matches with those charged tiles (as stated). 
    With Coulson & Carol, I truly believe that Ant-Man is a faster win than Medusa. WHAT? True. For just 7 yellow, Ant-Man produces 5 CD's that do damage and then turn into strikes. If just 3+ of these survive, you'll have 3 to 5 strikes that are greatly boosted as each CD resolves. This quickly makes up the difference in time that Medusa's CD & attacks would have been hitting each turn.  Keep in mind, you'll still have the opportunity to play Carol's black, and Coulson's purple can still line up colors that you need (black, yellow, etc).  If things are going well, play Ant-Man's purple instead for attacks that will double dip damage on those huge strikes.
    This team has no red user. And that's OK, since Ant-Man's CD's spawn on red and ultimately takes them off the board (away from the enemy). 

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is a great team, with the only problem being, that the Call the Cavalry CD can only be generated once Carol or Medusa fires a power. Therefore, Carol's black is probably your only way to get that started (and, black should be your priority of course). It's just wasteful to play Carol's yellow on Medusa's CD just to get the boost to any attack tiles on the board. Thankfully though, Coulson's purple is a great way to line up blacks and make matches with those charged tiles (as stated). 

Super-Secret Tech CD, I assume you mean. Yes, that is a limitation. Usually once I've fired Call the Cavalry I'll be swimming in AP, and I can just use Executive Decision to finish off any CD out there, create a new one from S-ST, generate some AP, and strengthen all the tiles. 

I actually don't find that letting Medusa's CD expire is as much of a limitation as it seems. I do try to match it away at least once before the CDs start expiring, to get some attack tiles out, but after that, the tile strengthening from Carol tends to get out of hand pretty fast.

I'll definitely give Ant-Man a try, though.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I wish I had thought of Ant Man with 4Marvel (someone mentioned that pair a month or so again) and in extension Colson.  I have not tried all 3 together, I probably will at some point but he is really good with Carol, just get your 7 yellow and that team starts to roll whoever the third is.  I might go with C&D instead of Colson (something else to try) just to keep feeding his yellow  through C&D, but all the ap you will gain from Colson as Antman's yellow countdown is hard to ignore.  In the current meta I definitly think Antman needs to be reexamined.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Been using him a bunch, especially since he's essential in Strange Sights right now. I'm starting to find his countdown speeding passive super annoying. 5 purple is required since thats his only way to deal damage, and it does an ok amount boosted, little over 4k. But it burns thru my team up ap and gets rid of countdown I want to keep. Hate seeing Carols barrage going off before making a bunch of strikes. I also use team up powers to save me sometimes, depending on what is randomly chosen, and I never have enough to use one.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Agreed it can be a tricky thing to manage, while sometimes, it can totally save your behind. 
    With Carol, if you have her CD out, just be aware of how much TU you have. I stinks to think you need to avoid TU matches to ensure her CD gets each strike out, but, if you have 6 TU you can ensure the CD will be resolved to down a dangerous enemy (at the small expense of losing 1 or 2 additional strike tiles). 
    Usually I find his CD reduction very helpful, since it speeds up the damage from his own CD's, plus you get the random AP gen even faster - usually when firing powers that make matches, and it resolves them during the same turn.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Thats the other annoying thing about it. It resolves his tiles in the middle of a turn, which can mess up potential cascades.He's a lot more awkward to play than I thought. The 5* node with SCL9 scaling brought to my attention how random he can be
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    For Strange Sights, if you have Ant-Man, then I don't think that either Team-up AP or shutting down Carol's countdown is a big problem. Ant-man is so good at spamming countdowns that things get out of hand quickly (as the discussion from September. And, he's boosted, so if you have them both champed, it's pretty hard to beat even if it takes a little to get going.

I think that Coulson would play well in the 5E node with 5Bit, although since my 5Bit is 2/0/0 I don't get best use out of him, and Coulson/Antman/5Bit still mostly works (although the node with Kingpin is much worse than the other 2 5E nodes).
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I've been running Coulson (currently 2/4/5), C4rol and 3* Gambit in Strange Sights and things can get crazy fast with all those countdowns on the board. Especially if I can get a Carol black out early

Tried this combo for a few shield sim matches with good results too