Conspiracy Theories

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
(Disclaimer: I do not believe the developers are out to get me.)

Have you ever felt like...

...whatever your strongest color is, you get a board with none of it?

....whatever color is completely useless to you totally dominates the board?

...whenever you do the 'suggested' match-3 (the one the game will point out for you), it leads to an enemy match-4 or match-5?

...as soon as you gain enough AP to fire your most dangerous power, the AI suddenly 'lucks' into a massive cascade including several match-5s that generate critical tiles and enables them to fire several powers - all before your turn?

...whenever you fight against Daken the board is dominated by blue and green tiles?

...the AI holds its stuns until you gather enough AP to fire a power?

...whenever you play IM40, yellow tiles are rarer than a solar eclipse?

...whenever you play IM40, the AI prioritizes yellow matches even though they have absolutely zero need for yellow AP?

...whenever one your characters place a special tile, it's always on a tile that can be matched away the very next move?

...whenever the AI places a special tile, it's buried in the bottom right corner with no other like-colors on the entire board?

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ...whenever an enemy CD tile is about to hit zero for 5k+ damage, then suddenly there are no OML tanking moves and 5trange has to take it in the face?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    pheregas said:
    ...whenever an enemy CD tile is about to hit zero for 5k+ damage, then suddenly there are no OML tanking moves and 5trange has to take it in the face?
    YES!!! (Edit: well, Patch & 3Strange in my case, but same thing!)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Dormammu said:

...whatever your strongest color is, you get a board with none of it?
    ...Unless C4rol is on the other team and the strongest colours match.
    ...as soon as you gain enough AP to fire your most dangerous power, the AI suddenly 'lucks' into a massive cascade including several match-5s that generate critical tiles and enables them to fire several powers - all before your turn?

...the AI holds its stuns until you gather enough AP to fire a power?
    ...and these two tend to go together.
    ...whenever you play IM40, yellow tiles are rarer than a solar eclipse?
    ...Up until the point where you finally manage to fire it, when they're suddenly everywhere, so the countdowns all get matched away.
    ...whenever one your characters place a special tile, it's always on a tile that can be matched away the very next move?
    ...and if one of your characters places multiple tiles, they will be placed so that there's no move that will save all of them. And/or they will be placed so that literally all available moves for you will match at least one.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,552 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since Grocket, it definitely feels like the AI is a homing missile on those special tiles. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:

...whenever you play IM40, the AI prioritizes yellow matches even though they have absolutely zero need for yellow AP?

I am in total agreement it always feels like this the case but then I remind myself why.  I know the OP knows but for those who don't:

Several minions have yellow as their top match damage and the AI when matching, looks at all colors of characters,not just the active matching characters.  So when Daken matches a yellow for no apparent reason, then I remember oh yeah, he has a Maggia or Commander, etc. on his team.  Secondly, since yellow is the first power in the line of colors, if there is a tie in powers, I think (not 100% sure of this) it will default to matching the first color based on that as a tie breaker.  Just like when the AI fires powers, it always starts with yellow and then goes down the line.  

Here is my conspiracy: when I fire IM40 yellow when there are no yellow matches on the board and the AI then gets a huge cascade on their next turn, knocking out 2 of the 3 yellow countdown tiles through random cascades.  This happens way more than I would like!

• SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Venom will always have 6 purple when the character power i want to fire is one match away. But only if said character is tanking said color. 
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Dormammu said:

Except when they design a wave node comprised solely of Teisatsu.  I have an image of them sitting in a conference room laughing hysterically as they brainstormed that one.   ;)

Slight variation on one already in the OP

... when you have only one possible move on the board which will:
                       a) destroy a tile you really don't want to destroy and/or
                       b) will lead to a match 4 or match 5 for the AI.  

That's when I'm convinced the drops tilt slightly in the houses favour.

• JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The AI ignores your countdown tile until it's one turn away from going off. At that point either:
    you discover your only possible move is to match away your countdown tile, or;
    you're able to match around it only to see the AI match it away on its turn anyway.

• Mordee
    Mordee Posts: 53 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    When you need just 1 more AP for your skill, but the board never seems to fall in your favor.  You watch as AI keeps matching your color only for them to use it against you.

Or when you get enough AP, AI steals them away from a team up or widow's skill.

My favorite one is when you are one move away from beating a character or team (AOE), AI fires off 2-3 skills before they go down. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Enemy is about to die. I need one move to finish them off. They literally cannot beat me.

But hey, to send me on my way they're going to make sure at least one of my nearly-at-full-health party gets a faceful of nasty cascade, handful of moves thrown at me and then maybe an extra cascade for funsies.

Then I use the move I had just earned enough AP for and finish them off, knowing I now have to use a gosh darned med pack -.-
    So much this, constantly put the AI down to less than 100 health knowing I'm gonna win on the next turn. But suddenly they have the AP to fire all three powers and/or get a GIANT cascade..... That has to be the most frustrating, especially in Versus. Yes, no health pack this time!!!!.............. Wait.......... Wait.......... Wait.......... Wait........... I guess I'm using one after all............
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Dormammu said:

I originally starting to use IM40/4Thor/Mordo because of his ability to create black charged tiles.  Now, I use that team (even when I have Steve instead of 4Thor for PVE and the charged tiles mean nothing) so that Mordo's purple can take advantage of the AI stockpiling yellow they can't use (in the Doom sub of Strange Sights, Mordo basically one-shot much of the last wave of 1CP node because I was stockpiling purple and they had 30 yellow AP at that point)

Enemy is about to die. I need one move to finish them off. They literally cannot beat me.

But hey, to send me on my way they're going to make sure at least one of my nearly-at-full-health party gets a faceful of nasty cascade, handful of moves thrown at me and then maybe an extra cascade for funsies.

Then I use the move I had just earned enough AP for and finish them off, knowing I now have to use a gosh darned med pack -.-

Mordee said:
    My favorite one is when you are one move away from beating a character or team (AOE), AI fires off 2-3 skills before they go down. 

You know, you could have just called out Ares by name.  He must have a passive that makes his skills cost 2AP less the turn before he dies...

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Beneficial bug (to some) fixed in 12 hours. Detrimental bug to all never fixed.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That D3 are part of the White House press department. They certainly have the news dump down to a fine art. 
  • Supravenbull
    Supravenbull Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    evade420 said:
    when ever you are fighting against teen jean, the first board has a match 5 on it
    This... pvp match against Professor X and Jean with 2 different 5 matches on the board. Nothing could be done 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    evade420 said:
    when ever you are fighting against teen jean, the first board has a match 5 on it
    This... pvp match against Professor X and Jean with 2 different 5 matches on the board. Nothing could be done 
    Playing against Loki? You WILL get cascades that include plenty of match 4s, even if you try not to.

I like threads like this. It's like a support group, because I think I've identified with almost all of these on some level so far.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    evade420 said:
    I hear that.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    - When you start a new board with R4G and the only matches are ones that have your strikes so you and the AI take turns matching them away.

- Two matches on the board. The one on the left has two of your tiles and the one on the right is teamups. You really need your tiles so you go with the one on the right. The AI matches away your tiles which sets off a massive cascade which naturally fuels their strongest powers.

- You only need one AP. Just one. You spend the match just matching away everything. After what feels like an hour you do one last match to kill them off and that match sets off a huge cascade for you giving tons and tons of now completely useless AP. Yay.

- New fight against Bl4de. Heavy red board for him but all of his reds are placed just out of reach from each other and can't be matched away.

- R4G's nuke tile is down to 1. Just one more turn and it'll go boom on the other team. Just one more.... nope, Groot matches it away.
  • 10_EFX_01
    10_EFX_01 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    -When you're about to down the enemy and win the match by your next turn and the enemy somehow fires a power they had little AP of and massively damages you before the win.

-Scarlet Witch produces her blue tile at the VERY edge of the board.

p.s. Thanks for plagiarizing my Daken theory(credit me next time)