Loyalty effects on cards

Options
Rhasget
Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
Loyalty is a big thing in MTGPQ but there is nothing except the orbs on the board that effects it. 
Why not add cards that give you extra, reduces opponents loyalty or such. 
Some PWs have very useful 3rd tier bonuses but never use them since the matches are over too quickly to make it useful to save for it (if you even get enough).
It would mean another way to build decks also so that you could focus on a PW, say Kiora, to spawn Octopi as it's strength.

HOR has alot of trashcards transfered from paper. If D3 looked outside the mechanics of it's origins and made cards and effects that are more built for PQ it could be great.

Perhaps an introduction of such would imbalance the game but just a thought.

Comments

• mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I totally second this. Loyalty points are a completely under utilized mechanic, but make the game very interesting. I think any card that has a proliferate type ability (Quarry Hauler, Winding Constrictor, Skyship Plunderer to name a few) could totally have given some amount of LP. Heck, even Heart of Kiran could have done something to that effect, maybe granting a large amount of LP. 

Another option is to switch out a mechanic. Scry is a evergreen mechanic in paper, but doesn't hardly exist in MTGPQ. There are only a couple of blue cards with Scry like effects, so it's totally possible but curiously ignored. Instead of Scrying we could get a LP bump.

To your last point, I personally hate it when MTGPQ cards stray too far from their paper counterparts. I am totally in favor of making them work within MTGPQ, but complete rewritings bother me like nothing else. I think there is room for LP mechanics, but I don't want to see it slapped on cards arbitrarily. 
  • Rhasget
    Options
    mrixl2520 said:
    I totally second this. Loyalty points are a completely under utilized mechanic, but make the game very interesting. I think any card that has a proliferate type ability (Quarry Hauler, Winding Constrictor, Skyship Plunderer to name a few) could totally have given some amount of LP. Heck, even Heart of Kiran could have done something to that effect, maybe granting a large amount of LP. 

Another option is to switch out a mechanic. Scry is a evergreen mechanic in paper, but doesn't hardly exist in MTGPQ. There are only a couple of blue cards with Scry like effects, so it's totally possible but curiously ignored. Instead of Scrying we could get a LP bump.

To your last point, I personally hate it when MTGPQ cards stray too far from their paper counterparts. I am totally in favor of making them work within MTGPQ, but complete rewritings bother me like nothing else. I think there is room for LP mechanics, but I don't want to see it slapped on cards arbitrarily. 
    Well, maybe not new mechanics but revise old ones.
    Use Ally as a loyalty booster. I remember hating playing against white ally decks (this is back in '96 though :wink: ).

Make new bonus ribbons with 'Gather x loyalty' to add to the events could also be am option.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Gonna have to disagree with you there. I think the only way to implement this is to create a new mechanic in a future set. Ret-conning old cards to keep them relevant seems like a bad idea to me.

I could see an event objective to gather loyalty though. Or even better, how about an event similar to "Enraged" where players gain bonus loyalty? 

Also, how where you playing against Allies in '96?!? Zendikar came out in 2009. 
  • Rhasget
    Options
    mrixl2520 said:
    Gonna have to disagree with you there. I think the only way to implement this is to create a new mechanic in a future set. Ret-conning old cards to keep them relevant seems like a bad idea to me.

I could see an event objective to gather loyalty though. Or even better, how about an event similar to "Enraged" where players gain bonus loyalty? 

Also, how where you playing against Allies in '96?!? Zendikar came out in 2009. 
    My bad then. Must have mixed up my memories of playing the digital games. Never played much IRL.

And the Enraged substitute is a good idea.