Can somebody make a 5* Ranking?

Options
bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
If it already exists on this forum, I haven't seen it yet.  But I was hoping that someone in 5* land with the majority of the 5*s champed could rank them based on their usefulness in PVE and PVP.  I know everyone loves Thanos, and he would probably be #1.  Everyone also likes Bolt, Panther and Strange too, but who's the most useful?  Isn't Goblin in the top 5?  Hawkeye looks pretty awesome, especially with Coulson, but are 4*s irrelevant when you have champed 5*s?  Is Star Lord really that bad?  Are the Surfer's anti-stun, healing or AP generation abilities useful?  Why is Phoenix used so much?  She seems meh to me. 

I was hoping that some whale out there could make this ranking with notes on how to use them.  I suppose the usefulness of this list could be in determining where to put your ISO and 5* Bonus favorite.

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not there yet but I think I can answer a couple of these:

- Star-Lord is absolutely that bad. His self-acceleration costs a sizable amount of yellow to make charged green, which you may or may not actually be able to collect. Even if you do, his green does unreliable board shake and the damage is pitiful for a 5*. His best ability might actually be his tile steal.

- Surfer's AP gen and stun immunity are handy, but seemingly not handy enough to compensate for the fact that he does way less damage than other 5*s. Personally I kinda like him post-rework, but he definitely seems geared towards PVE.

- Phoenix is used a lot because she was one of the earliest releases, so lots of people have her - same reason the game is lousy with Logans Who May Or May Not Be Old Men. Also, she's still a strong middle-of-the-road contender; red doesn't do a ton of damage but it makes cheap strikes, and her cascade potential with 5 purple covers is strong. She also has decent health pack saving capability if you can get her to die and resurrect.

All that said, I will only just be entering 5* territory soonish with OML and Thanos (good lord the ISO struggle is real), so I wouldn't be confident enough in my overall assessment to make a full-blown ranking.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would recommend this thread to you:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/43297/xenodragons-mpq-character-tier-list
    This list has helped me a lot to build up my roster properly.
  • bbigler
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    I'm not there yet but I think I can answer a couple of these:

- Star-Lord is absolutely that bad. His self-acceleration costs a sizable amount of yellow to make charged green, which you may or may not actually be able to collect. Even if you do, his green does unreliable board shake and the damage is pitiful for a 5*. His best ability might actually be his tile steal.

- Surfer's AP gen and stun immunity are handy, but seemingly not handy enough to compensate for the fact that he does way less damage than other 5*s. Personally I kinda like him post-rework, but he definitely seems geared towards PVE.

- Phoenix is used a lot because she was one of the earliest releases, so lots of people have her - same reason the game is lousy with Logans Who May Or May Not Be Old Men. Also, she's still a strong middle-of-the-road contender; red doesn't do a ton of damage but it makes cheap strikes, and her cascade potential with 5 purple covers is strong. She also has decent health pack saving capability if you can get her to die and resurrect.

All that said, I will only just be entering 5* territory soonish with OML and Thanos (good lord the ISO struggle is real), so I wouldn't be confident enough in my overall assessment to make a full-blown ranking.
    Thanks Jarvind.  You are one of the more level headed people on this forum.  My dilemma is that I spend way too much time in this game and I would like to quit, but I also want to have closure as well.  I'll admit that I'm in the sunken cost fallacy, but it's hard to shake.  I want to "finish" what I've started, so my exit strategy for this game is to enter 5* land, enjoy it for a bit, then call it quits (plus it probably isn't as great as I think it will be). 

Because of general ISO deficiency in this game, I've been hoarding LT and some CP since November, which is my gateway to 5* land.  I'm up to 160 pulls now, with 260 being the goal.  I figure I can get there in about 10 weeks, which is around the time Hawkeye leaves the pool.  The problem is that I really like 5* Hawkeye, but I don't want Star Lord and Doc Ock.  Even if the next 5* is amazing, there will still be 2 lame characters in the LL pool.  My other 5*s only have a few covers, with Surfer having the most at 9 (3/4/2).  So, I guess these are my options:

1. Play hard to hoard quickly and open it before Hawkeye leaves the pool (8/15?), then have fun experimenting with new teams.  Once I've gotten bored with this (a month?), I'll quit the game.
    2. Play more casually to slowly hoard and then open it after Star Lord leaves the pool (10/10?), then have some fun with new teams and eventually quit the game.
    3. Play hard, get burned out, quit and then come back in a few months when Star Lord and Doc Ock are out of the pool. 
    4. Just quit now and save myself all the trouble. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    From another thread this morning:

(1) Thanos (eats healthpacks like nothing else, but current fastest)
    (2) BB (with 5 black he gets to pretty substantial passive damage very fast)
    --small gap (next group is all sort bunched up as usable and very solid with the right partners)--
    (3) hawkeye (not enough instant damage to be a #1 tank, but a great secondary damage character. Almost impossible to deny)
    (4) BP (plays up with thanos, a bit hard to use otherwise)
    (5) BW (hits very hard, could use a battery)
    (6) strange (great stun, owns goons, very squishy)
    (7) GG (good all around, especially with the new CD-based characters)
    (8) im46 (excellent 4* teammates, pretty self reliant)
    (9) phoenix (5* cascades are still good, and so are cheap strike tiles)
    (10) cap (so much better after the fix, but still not great)
    (11) BSS (not bad per se, but less useful in the current 5* meta which doesn not care about strike tiles)
    (12) SS (immune to stun is awesome, otherwise a bit outclassed by newer characrers)
    (13) OML (still great way to save health on trivial nodes. But noticebly underpowered against real opponents)
    --gap (this is the current 5* trash tier)--
    (14) star lord (not enough offense or self accel)
    (15) banner (fun to play, but noticeably worse than the rest of 5* land)

(Note: doc oc will likely fit into the botton of the list.  Question is proabably: "is he lower middle class, or trash tier?" his blue takes too much time/ap/board luck to be really good, and his green is way too complex for its own good.  Black seems like a slightly worse version of strange's stun)

Some will argue that OML should be higher, and others that HE is too high.  It's debatable; but the bottom line is that the middle class of 5* land is pretty flat.  So the gap between 3 and 13 is fairly small.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. My issue is that I'd really like to cover Panther before he leaves packs, but I don't have enough pulls stashed (about 75 right now, give or take) to reasonably expect 5 more covers on him, plus Starlord sucks and I'm lukewarm on Hawkeye. 

I've stopped spending except to renew VIP, and I haven't been playing nearly as hard as I once did. For all of our complaints about ISO, it does flow much more freely than it used to, so I can still clear 30k a day easily while doing my alliance PVP minimums and halfassing PVE. I used to shoot for t10 or t20 on new releases - I barely even play them anymore because covering them is easy with vaulting and I don't feel the need to compete with psycho grinders.

Once I finish champing Thanos and OML I plan to start drawing classics and hope to finish off a couple that are close - Banner needs one cover, Phoenix needs two, and Widow needs three. Depending on how frustrating that ends up being I might just call it quits.
  • bbigler
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. My issue is that I'd really like to cover Panther before he leaves packs, but I don't have enough pulls stashed (about 75 right now, give or take) to reasonably expect 5 more covers on him, plus Starlord sucks and I'm lukewarm on Hawkeye. 

I've stopped spending except to renew VIP, and I haven't been playing nearly as hard as I once did. For all of our complaints about ISO, it does flow much more freely than it used to, so I can still clear 30k a day easily while doing my alliance PVP minimums and halfassing PVE. I used to shoot for t10 or t20 on new releases - I barely even play them anymore because covering them is easy with vaulting and I don't feel the need to compete with psycho grinders.

Once I finish champing Thanos and OML I plan to start drawing classics and hope to finish off a couple that are close - Banner needs one cover, Phoenix needs two, and Widow needs three. Depending on how frustrating that ends up being I might just call it quits.
    Oh, I can make a lot more ISO now than ever before, but..............it's still not enough to keep up with all the covers I get.  If I play hard, then I can get about 45K to 50K ISO per day (after cashing in all tokens/covers).  That amount of play per week would net me about 10 LL pulls, plus other 4* cover rewards.  Getting that many 4* covers per week would give me a large ISO deficiency.  Theoretically, I should be able to "catch up" as most of the latest 4*s get champed, but that hasn't happened yet.

If I play casually, then I get about 30K to 35K ISO per day and fewer 4* covers, but it still ends with an ISO deficiency.  The only way to catch up, is to hoard, otherwise I'd be wasting a lot of covers. 
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    ..... and I'm lukewarm on Hawkeye. 

@Jarvind HE is really really good and a ton of fun to play. Going forward as more and more 5*'s are released that create countdown tiles he will only increase in utility.