Xenodragon's MPQ Character Tier List

Options
aeiouous
aeiouous Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
edited December 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
MPQ Tier List - Public Release (Xenodragon)

So I saw a post about a tier list and decided to make one and update it regularly.

This tier list is completely community powered so any changes will be made based on what the general community consensus is for the topic. Rarely the team will have to try out a character first-hand and we'd like to keep it that way. Please share the list with anyone who might need this and keep the list alive! This list can't exist unless the people want it to!

If you have any complaints, concerns, or corrections please comment on this forum or on the sheet itself. With that being said, from Xenodragon, masashi23 and I..

We Hope you like it, Cheers.

Comments

• geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Looks good for the page that is done. Thanks for actually giving elektra credit as she is one of the few characters that can be better on defense than offense sometimes, i try to avoid fighting her or i take her down first cuz when she starts moving it gets pretty damn annoying, unless you shake things up icon_e_smile.gif . Can't wait to see your analysis for each character
  • Hoho69
    Hoho69 Posts: 48
    Options
    Yep as for recent stuff, noticed Punisher Max works really well with Prof X and Nova.

Punisher Max is so crazy I remember doing 25K damage in one blow, a 370 lvl buffed Punisher max vs. a 370 lvl buffed Hulk Buster. Killed Hulkbuster with the use of army of one black. there were like ten strike tiles on the board. many enhanced by a buffed 375 lvl prof X. Crazy.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Assuming you are putting the characters in classes based on their tier?

If so I would suggest Juggs goes to S class, as with two matches on green he can sometimes keep going for 4 to 5 turns taking chunks out of the enemy team.

I also argue that IM40 (due to recharge and his red damage being so high) goes up in ranking to at least solid. He makes matches go so fast when teamed up with a decent green or purple AOE.

Lastly Quicksilver is incredible after his buff and should easily be B, if not A class. I use him unboosted all the time as he slows enemies down with locked tiles. His powers get cheaper and help detonate his passive AOE and he can manipulate the board with his black power. Team him up with a Blue user such as IM40 and you can do 7k damage AOE before the enemy gets more than a basic power out.

Board manipulation when you are in control greatly increases any characters use for example Steve Rogers is brilliant for stomping over enemy countdown tiles and this makes him great for offensive teams.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just checked the 4s 'review' and after I saw cyclops and rhulk are not even A, I stopped reading ( iceman just B+ for PvE, why ?!?!?! and B+ for red hulk in PvP in what universe?!?!?!?! He is probably the best char for PVP !!!!). ProfX is also worse than those because he is just good for PvE, and I think Punisher is also a little bit worse than those two.

As an example, Red hulk should be S, A, S, S, A+

I think you are clearly misjudging the value of self-acceleration in PvP, this is why cyclops, iceman and rhulk are the best chars for PvP in 4 land.

PS: Everybody can have their own opinion, but you are clearly wrong icon_e_wink.gif
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This looks really "off" to me tbh. How many of 4* you have actually championed and experienced playing with/against?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Besides some iffy placements, there are just too many separate tiers when the reality is all that you need are:

S - Best characters (doesn't imply one per tier), usable all the time.
    A - Good characters, still worth building, very usable when boosted.
    B - Mediocre characters, not a priority to level, usable when boosted.
    C - Trash, do not spend iso on these and probably don't even use them when boosted.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I really like this especially the tables. My only feedback is move IM40 to S tier for 3 stars. His yellow wins rounds sooo quick. Put him in with jean grey and lady thor and the game is over on turn 4
  • aeiouous
    Options
    About time I responded right? Here we go.

@geno685 Thanks! Late response technically but thanks for the early support, you single-handedly made me look over Elektra again and yeah her changes have been nice to her.

@Hoho69 Punisher MAX is really crazy and I ranked him high for that, he used to be top 5 but community votes Rulk and Classic Cyclops higher and you can't argue with that much :3

@Azoth658 I know I know IM40 is crazy good, geez everyone is going crazy about that, I'll have it fixed! Your feedback on Quicksilver made look over him and place him higher than I had originally. Thank you!

@Polares I hear you! I added in an A+ tier just for you because yeah that letter is more satisfactory to look at but it signifies how close the abilities of the characters are. You and some other people let me to raise Rulk and Classic Cyclops higher, thanks for that icon_e_smile.gif

@Bulls I got a sandbox account I don't really use much, the community matters more when it comes to evaluating this list so I look over the character pages and rank them, Xenodragon looks it over and polishes it, and masashi23 writes the description. If I need to get my hands dirty I can find out for myself how good a character is but I avoid doing that.

@Crowl I believe these tiers are necessary, each character individually are very good at different things and I wanted to show how close or how far their abilities are in each category, for example Prof X., not very good at PvP but a PvE god and his rankings reflect that.

@elwhiteninja IM40 again! Man I need to get this 3 star list out already haha, I won't weigh teams very heavily but they are a factor. IM40 is an S tier, that's guaranteed from the community feedback the team has been getting.

Wow, thanks for that guys, keep the feedback coming! The list shall live on! (If you want it to that is icon_razz.gif)
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aeiouous wrote:
    @Crowl I believe these tiers are necessary, each character individually are very good at different things and I wanted to show how close or how far their abilities are in each category, for example Prof X., not very good at PvP but a PvE god and his rankings reflect that.

Your extra categories prior to the overall ranking provide that information in enough detail for those who want it.

However, splitting up the overall values into the smaller slices does not do that, if anything it obscures the lopsided star as his great half gets dragged down by his rubbish half, perhaps the simplest approach would be a double value e.g. OML gets S-S whereas a hypothetical pve god who was utterly useless in pvp would be a S-C.

The situation is that all these rankings are somewhat subjective rather than being purely objective, so the easiest way to minimise disagreements on placement is to keep the categories broader as the difference between trash and really trash is irrelevant.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just read the analysis for the 3*s, and I feel a sudden need to contest 3* Bullseye's position at 31st. In a tier of 40 characters he's in no way in the bottom 10 for me. Sure he's situational, but he's literally a god in survival nodes, especially if he manages to tank 3 colours + team ups. Pair him up with a passive special tile generator and he starts going crazy really early.

That's how I actually roll for The Big Enchilada every day. I pair him up with Cage and Panther, he tanks all 3 of his colours + team ups, while Cage's shield provides an outlet for his purple. Add in a couple shots of green to remove those pesky team up tiles. With some smart play half the board can be filled with strike tiles by the end of the first wave. Rinse and repeat on the following waves. On the last wave, ROTP for some insane damage boosted by a whole board of strikes.

The effect will probably be smaller in normal nodes, but if he gets the first kill the match also ends just that bit faster. Still pretty excellent. He sucks on defense though, can't deny that.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can I suggest a different kind of perspective on ranking? I don't necessarily disagree with your actual order, but I think it would be more helpful to talk about the ranks in terms of what it means you actually want to invest in each character.

S-This character deserves Iso investment as a priority, even if it messes up your scaling.
    A-This character deserves Iso investment, but not if it messes up your scaling.
    B-This character deserves priority placement on your roster, but doesn't need to be leveled unless you don't have better options.
    C-This character is okay to sell off if you don't have roster space, but will occasionally make your life easier if you're willing to spend money/time on the game to get slots.
    D-This character's main use is for required nodes, holding one cover for them is okay if you have the space but don't really bother leveling them (or in the case of 4*s, finding a level adequate for winning their required DDQ).
    F- This character is trash/a joke/a vanity trophy and should only be on rosters that think it's funny to fill roster slots with useless junk.
  • Obitim
    Obitim Posts: 4
    Options
    I'd ask the same thing, I've been focussing on leveling my 3* characters, however, looking at this list, maybe I should be putting points into my S list first to get them to their max level then working my way through the others?

Would this be feasible, or should I focus on 3* to champ them to make the most of deadpool dailies and the rewards with champing them, and also not to upset my scaling? (I've got OML with 3 covers at the mo)
  • aeiouous
    Options
    Can I suggest a different kind of perspective on ranking? I don't necessarily disagree with your actual order, but I think it would be more helpful to talk about the ranks in terms of what it means you actually want to invest in each character.
    Obitim wrote:
    I'd ask the same thing, I've been focussing on leveling my 3* characters, however, looking at this list, maybe I should be putting points into my S list first to get them to their max level then working my way through the others?

Would this be feasible, or should I focus on 3* to champ them to make the most of deadpool dailies and the rewards with champing them, and also not to upset my scaling? (I've got OML with 3 covers at the mo)

The team will look into this now that we know it's affecting one than one person. I think we'll add carrion pigeon's ISO descriptions on top of our own current tier descriptions. As for you Obitim, that's technically not our field to help you with how to level your characters, I think you should go through each character transition smoothly, don't skip any transitions like 2 -> 4 or something like that with characters having priority per transition. 5 stars are completely up to you because they are so rare. Some people decide to let them go, some don't. You can use this list to find out who to invest in, not just based on a single rating, but based on multiple ratings thoroughly showing what the character is good at. On top of all of this there is a small description for each. Please let me know, would you guys like us to add ISO descriptions?
  • Obitim
    Obitim Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi aeiouous,

I think that would be a good idea, this has really made me think how I'm going to work on my characters and who I keep and who I sell to be honest as I feel I've wasted a load of ISO on some characters who don't have a lot of function and I wish I'd found this earlier so I could have levelled more intelligently.

Cheers for doing this, it's much appreciated!
  • Hoho69
    Options
    Great list Xeno, any updates?

So far looking at War machine I dont think he is hard to use, wont be putting him in my roster unless needed then later sold.
  • aeiouous
    Options
    Hoho69 wrote:
    Great list Xeno, any updates?

So far looking at War machine I dont think he is hard to use, wont be putting him in my roster unless needed then later sold.

Usually we add in the new character on the day of the new PvP for that character. The list is long gone on Reddit and was on page 2 of this forum for a while so no changes to the rankings have been made only because there haven't been any community feedback. It's going to be like this for a while until this gets sticky-ed. Thank you for bumping the list.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Excuse me but how come Venom 4* is bad? I understand it is very situational, but it's also crazy powerful and with kind a low cost (imagine him vs bullseye or other protect tile creators)

Otherwise a nice list, thumbs up
  • Hoho69
    Options
    well Quake is just excellent.

I use her very much in the latest PVE, been kicking ****, very effective when buffed at 370 level plus. Paired up with 284 lvl XF deadpool and 168 lvl IM 40.

I can attest it has taken out a 405 lvl 2 star Wolverine with 2 other Ninja goons. with some difficulty(Quake would take the brunt of the attacks then when the IM 40 yellow activates, Quake green is devastating. ). Then XF deadpool reds followed by XF deadpool purple bombs then Quake blues. end of story.in 1-2 turns.
  • Hoho69
    Options
    Punisher 3 star should be higher,

currently enjoying my 198 lvl Punisher 3 star, Iceman 270 & IM 40 170 combo.

Punisher can shine if played carefully with the right combos. He is a great coup de grace weapon. So IM40 yellows fire up, Iceman freezes enemies iwth blues, group damage with greens, Punisher can also use black as group damage , and also Iceman can use punch a snowman blue to heavy damage , so when the enemies go down below 40 percent, use the red, and we know the IM40 yellow produces mucho red.

Target strongest characters first or characters with strong chance of firing a power. your call.

This combo took down a 280 lvl Hulkbuster, 185 lvl Khan, 170 lvl Iron fist combo. in the shield simulator my combo got little damaged. Hulkbuster got freezed while iceman used his green to heavy damage the group, by 4th round, Punisher red killed both Iron fist and khan critical damage HB with punch a snowman, and 5th regular attack killed HB. 1000 damage on Iceman total.
  • Hoho69
    Options
    he also good with Quake , Red Hulk + Punisher 3 star & IM 40.

Same strategy, get the IM 40 yellow going, do group damage with Quake and red Hulk then punisher 3 star Red coup de grace.