Amonkhet Card Gallery *Updated (6/26/17)

Comments

• nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I'm not fully sure how cycling will work but I'm pretty sure New Perspectives is probably broken.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    nexus13 said:
    I'm not fully sure how cycling will work but I'm pretty sure New Perspectives is probably broken.
    If this was a WOTC spoiler, I'd just have some confidence that they wouldn't break the game so obviously.

There MUST be something I'm missing. Surely????
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I think that I am most excited for the cycle lands. 
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    For  now here are my top likes of the set (due to power but also neat design, interesting gameplay or necessity in color):
    - Anointed Procession - it's great to see tokens getting some more love. This looks great with embalm as well as stuff like Sram's Expertise (literally doubling tokens) or Thopter Spy Network (bffs). I expect it to surpass people's expectations.
    - Cast Out - I expect it to be really good actually. A targeted suppression bonds that is slightly expensive. Will play really well WITH suppression bonds and Starfield of Nyx.
    - Combat Celebrant - the loss of disabled is quite original and I expect it will combat some disgusting strategies (a la Hixus...). I would watch out for this though - looks seriously undercosted and will be a VIP in zoo Nahiri decks.
    - Dissenter's Deliverance - finally cheap support removal in green. It's about time!
    - Glorious End - I am curious to see decks using this. At first glance, original design, looks like a card that I expect to surprise people in the good way.
    - Sandwurm Convergence - you kept the original feel, and this actually encourages people to play non-fliers too. It can get pretty nasty in an Ajani 2 deck with Starfield of Nyx and other disablers but the cost seems fair.
    - Gideon's Intervention - same as above. I'm curious how this card can be broken - smells more like a mythic than a rare to me but hey, maybe this way I can actually get my hands on it ;)
    - Shefet Monitor - actually interesting decision between cycling and playing upfront. Love the design.
    - Violent Impact - highly relevant that it has cycling. I end up with unused copies of demolish in hand and it's frustrating. It will be an interesting alternative.
    - Vizier of Tumbling Sands - already mentioned the loss of disabled as great. Looking forward to see how it works.

Now onto the disappointments:
    - Angel of Sanctions - I expected it to disable rather than destroy to keep it closer to the real magic card. It's a shame the original design was not respected, but alas the embalm was kept. It's comparable to Noxious Gearhulk and in white (funny how white has targeted removal - color pie?).
    - Anointer Priest - 11 mana for that? You have got to be kidding me. I can see an obscure combo with Sram's Expertise and Defiant Bloodlord, it's quite gimmicky and takes lots of effort to put in place. Way overpriced compared to original magic card and the effect is similar.
    -- Embalm - keep in mind in paper magic you can have more than 3 creatures onto the battlefield. An embalm creature literally takes two spots - one for the creature, one for the token. It's kind of as annoying as transform creatures (reason why I stopped using Lone Rider). So... although many of the embalm creatures are similar to their paper equivalent remember you have limited the battlefield to 3 slots/player.
    - Archfiend of Ifnir - disappointing as compared to how great the paper magic card is. I would be surprised if it saw relevant play (maybe some Tezz2 cycling deck I guess...)
    -- Triggers to cycling in general - parasitic. If you look at the magic cards, they triggered on discard too. Tone down the effects a bit but leave the cards relevant outside Amonkhet too. Instead, opting only for trigger on cycling leaves the card's usefulness inside the block. Quite a shame...
    -  Aven Mindcensor - I have no idea what this card does and why it's so great it "exiles the next card on top of the opponent's library". Maybe I'm missing something, but in a vacuum, the effect is useless.
    - Final Reward - you introduced the exile zone. Why not take advantage of it?
    - Hapatra - overpriced much? Paper magic card was not only gazillions of levels cheaper, but the 1/1 deathtouch snakes are much more relevant since they can block. Here since they don't have defender... meh.
    - The gods - they look overrated. I have a feeling they will be weaker than people give them credit for, but I guess time will tell. I might be seriously wrong. I'm glad they are not indestructible though.
    - Prowling Serpopard - you took a very interesting card and turned it into a boring vanilla. At least you oculd have made it so mana can't be drained from it...
    -  Trials - what's with the "no reinforce"? Does this mean you cannot play secondary copies as long as the support is already onto the board? Weird and counterintuitive. People will hate this and it will actually cost the cards' potential. Trial of Ambition actually looked like a decent replacement for Oath of Liliana.
    - Honored Hydra - very boring vanilla card. Seems like green is drawing the short straw here... The whole point of the original card was cheating it into play earlier. Unless I am missing something and embalm works via discard too.
    - Regal Caracal - good luck seeing this as a competitive card. While I love cat tribal, in MTGPQ there simply isn't enough support for it, so it will probably end up being a junk rare.
    - Cancel - super overpriced given that it affects spells only

Finally, you should get someone to verify the text of the cards. If paper magic presented such mistakes it would be a disaster. Tabak and MaRo would probably burn their eyes out would they see the level of inconsistency here. Namely:
    - Forsake the Worldly - how is it different from Dissenter's Deliverance or Violent Impact? Why the different wording?
    - Certain wording could better respect the traditional paper magic wording. For example, Supernatural Stamina misses a gains. In paper magic it would be "Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains 'When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield' until end of turn". There are many inconsistencies in this direction - I guess the years I've been on and off MTG Salvation designing custom cards have given me a much more critical eye in this direction. 
    Similarly you should make a difference between when you use numbers vs. words. For example, Stir the Sands should be "Summon three 2/2 Zombie tokens" (actually I would use the MTG "Create three 2/2 black Zombie tokens" (color is relevant). Same for Compelling Argument and the "top two cards..."
    - No reason not to allow Limits of Solidarity from targetting your own creatures. You can do that in paper magic to grant haste to one of your creatures and it's actually a neat trick. Plus it helps the AI with not getting stuck with these cards in their hand.
    - Cards anywhere else but onto the battlefield are referred to as cards. Sometimes you respect that, sometimes you don't.
    - Creature types should be capitalized. Plague Belcher refers to "zombie" creature type.
    - Censor improperly refers to the first card as "it's mana" instead of "its mana"
    - It's funny how you prefer the verbose "While this creature is on the battlefield", which generally is self-implied. Hence it can be stripped from the cards. I don't see this mention done on Aven Mindcensor or Anointer Priest for instance (but it's obvious the effect is there only if the creature card is on the battlefield)
    - New Preparations lines can be interchanged. First it's ETB effects (enter the battlefield), then continuous effects as long as the support is on the board. Monuments for instance follow this correct pattern.
    - Winds of Rebuke incorrectly refers to opponent as "their (hand)" instead of "his or her (hand)"
    - Glyph Keeper mentions "a spell on this creature", while there is already a precedent in this direction via Silverfur Partisan as "When this creature becomes the target of a spell your opponent controls, ..."

Gonna stop here for now.
    As a bottom line, I might have had a rather critic point of view, but I am actually excited about the new set and looking forward to start opening Amonkhet boosters ;)
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    First Impressions - Rares:

Archfiend of Ifnir - I don't know enough about how Cycling will work yet to know if this card will be good or not, but I don't think I like it.
    Aven Mindcensor - Could be good, I think. Hard to tell if you're hurting them as much as you hope you are.
    Canyon Slough, Fetid Pools Irrigated Farmlands, Scattered Groves, Sheltered Thicket - Glad that they are giving us gem changers to replace what we lose in BFZ for PvP.
    Bounty of The Luxa - Decent. 
    Channeler Initiate - I kinda like it. Support disguised as creature. Relatively strong on casting.
    Deem Worthy - Again, red burn stays underwhelming in this set too. I don't know if I'll play it, most likely not.
    Drake Haven - This could be a decent poor man's "Metallurgic Summonings".
    Dread Wanderer - I'd like it more if I could keep using Prized Amalgam in PvP but I'd still like to mess with it.
    Gideon's Intervention - Could either be amazing or very underwhelming, depending on the amount of shields it has.
    Glyph Keeper - Fantastic ability that it has on itself. Combined with one of those cards that remove disable, and you have a nice de facto-hexproof creature.
    Hazoret's Favor - Nice, it's like a cheap Flameshadow Conjuring. I'll be using it.
    Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons - Solid. I like its secondary effects. Could be very fun to combo those deathtouch snakes with Berserker. Arlinn?
    Heart Piercer Manticore - I think I like it. Depending on how much I want to destroy my first creature, I guess.
    Honored Hydra - It's ok, a little pricey, but I like that it has Embalm.
    New Perspectives - This will be a must-have to take advantage of Cycling. It will be a solid piece when building a good AKH deck.
    Plague Belcher - It's ok, decent power/cost ratio, its drawback is not awful, but its secondary ability is not amazing either.
    Prowling Serpopard - It's a nice solid vanilla card, but I mostly want it because I love the card art :)
    Regal Caracal - I haven't looked up how many Cats we have, but it's pretty solid as is. A 6/6 plus 4/4 lifelink for 18? Hi, Sorin!
    Shefet Monitor - Probably the best rare in the set, and I would say best rare creature... 9 green gems for 6? Yes please!
    Shadow of The Grave - Might be a little too pricey, but I like the effect, I think...
    Sweltering Suns - I don't like it. 
    Trial of Knowledge - Seems overcosted for what it does. Why is it a support? Should just be a spell.
    Trial of Solidarity - Seems decent, but again, why are trials supports and not spells?
    Trial of Strength - See above
    Trial of Zeal - Way too expensive. The worst one.

• Rpowers 3000
    Rpowers 3000 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Looks cool, I'm excited to play with this new set.

Can someone better explain how Cycling works? 
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Tilwin90 Well, targeted removal has been a mainstay of white since Alpha. Smite the monstrous, swords to ploughshares, path to exile, oblivion ring, and so on. It has always been the second best colour for removal, so the angel completely conforms with the colour pie. However the card is, funny enough, a LOT better than the paper version :) 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    First Impressions - Rares:
    Deem Worthy - Again, red burn stays underwhelming in this set too. I don't know if I'll play it, most likely not.

Just pointing out that in an environment with only Firecraft and Disintegration as red removal, this card isn't necessarily terrible (though, interestingly, Firecraft becomes more viable as creature toughness drops).
  • MrMoustache
    MrMoustache Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Tilwin90 said:
    -  Trials - what's with the "no reinforce"? Does this mean you cannot play secondary copies as long as the support is already onto the board? 
    I think it's more likely that these function like Clue or Servo supports - ie you can have more than one of them on the board at the same time. That way you can play 3 of them, play a single Cartouche, and have all 3 bounce back to your hand.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Still have 7 cards not spoiled yet, with only 3 exclusives revealed
    based on the paper amonkhet mythics, 3 of those cards will be: As foretold, Cruel reality, Samut, voice of dissent

as foretold: free spells
    cruel reality: opponent sacrifices a creature each turn, loses life if he cant
    samut: haste, vigilance, double strike, flash. Other creatures have haste. W: Untap another target creature

Since no aftermath cards will be in the set, other rares not yet spoiled, so possible exclusives are:
    Harvest season (ramp)
    harsh mentor (damage whenever a player activates an ability)
    Champion of Rhonas (exert: cast a creature for free)
    lilianas master (zombie anthem)
    glory-bound initiate (huge and cheap lifelinker)
    soul-scar mage (-1-1 counters instead of damage)
    Throne of the god-pharao (end step, each opponent loses life equal to amount of tapped creatures you control), Pyramid of the pantheon (mana)
    disposses (name an artifact, remove all copies of that artifact from deck), pull from tomorrow (card draw, a LOT of card draw).

Did i miss any?

Champion of Rhonas is almost certainly going to be a 39,99$ card
    anyway, those should be 9 rares not yet spoiled, meaning we can be pretty sure we will see 4 of them
    my guesses: Champion, Throne, Pyramid, pull from tomorrow, and lilianas mastery, purely based on which cards seem like they would be exciting for the set.

disposses really seems unlikely, harsh mentor seems hard to translate well, and harvest season would just be another rishkar's expertise. Also not sure how soul scar would work
    throne could be a no-go, but flavourwise it seems hard to leave out

thoughts and guesses?
  • mixed bag
    mixed bag Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Sphinx's Tutelage + Cycling = Ouch.  :#
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    mixed bag said:
    Might not be so bad. Depends on if they count cycling as draw or as fetch. Also I suspect the AI is unlikely to cycle cards rather than play them. 
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know why, but I can't see the 2 exclusive cards.

Can someone post their names? Thanks!
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Vizier of many Faces and Glorybringer @AngelForge
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    I like that there are some good commons in the set. A decent common bounce spell (finally), black targeted removal, and cycling support killers in three colors. Now if only they'd make halfway decent common creatures somewhere.

Thanks @Tilwin90 for the list of gripes, saves me having to write them out :P I'll add that it is strange and aesthetically unappealing that the black Trial is uncommon while the others are rare. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    wereotter said:
    mixed bag said:
    Might not be so bad. Depends on if they count cycling as draw or as fetch. Also I suspect the AI is unlikely to cycle cards rather than play them. 
    When WOTC release card lists, they tell their players how the cards work.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    shteev said:
    wereotter said:
    mixed bag said:
    I thought that we'd have established by now that these guys really arent like WotC. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    shteev said:
    Well, the card game does need more explications since the game will use the cards correctly.
    Cycling is the most interesting thing for me.. The ai will either cycle every card always, or no card never.

Will cycling trigger madness? Will the cycling about ability trigger if you have enough mana and for example Lili forces you to discard a card with cycling? Or are cycling cards immune like madness ones? @LakeStone
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    shteev said:
    Well, the card game does need more explications since the game will use the cards correctly.
    Cycling is the most interesting thing for me.. The ai will either cycle every card always, or no card never.

Will cycling trigger madness? Will the cycling about ability trigger if you have enough mana and for example Lili forces you to discard a card with cycling? Or are cycling cards immune like madness ones? @LakeStone
    Cycling exiles the card, so I'm guessing that it will not trigger madness. I'd also expect since it's not going to the graveyard, it likely can be forced to discard.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    I have to say I'm really intrigued by the set but the uncertainty how exactly everything will work, makes it hard to judge it. Two questions though:

- Why don't we see all the cards at once?
    - When we have all the cards, will the solve the color imbalance? (atm, 2 black mythics vs. 5 red mythics, 7 black uncommons vs. 2 green uncommons, 12 common in every color but red which has only 10)
    - While the introduction of standard explains why there are new commons that we normally wouldn't play, why don't they start some kind of draft format that would force us to build decks with certain cards?