Thanos Boss Event: Come and Get Me * Updated (4/27/17)

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 965 Critical Contributor
    smkspy said:
    Hardcore alliance people will just never understand the frustrates that more casual alliances have with boss events. The "I got mine" mentality is far too strong.

Hell, it's not even really about getting the rewards for me. I just want a fun event that I and my alliance WANT play the ENTIRETY of. 

But yeah, let's sunshine pump harder nodes because this boss is fun to play against. I've seen all now.
    Despite the fact that I'll just be labeled a sunshine pumper isn't that how it should work?  

Hardcore alliances put in the hardcore scores early so that everyone can get max rewards.  

Casual alliances put in casual scores and get lesser rewards due to putting in lesser work.  If you really want the better rewards it is super easy to merc out for just the alliance events.  There are always competitive groups who can use that one extra committed member.  Or alternately if you absolutely must be in your casual alliance be cool with the more casual rewards you will gain.  
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Yep exactly Revskip, I am in a super casual alliance 300-575 pvp. I merc out for PVE and I merced out to a top alliance for Thanos based on the fact I go full on through the event and can prove I hit progression in the last X boss events. Casual alliances seem to make the mistake thinking  they can lazy play through these, when they should be going full bore until the scaling runs out and then have a day or two off!

If you're in a casual alliance and you are carrying people, find a new home even if just for the event. Nothing against people playing like that but you need to find people with similar goals in these events.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    I will say though, I love the boss mechanics. That part at least is great. And the scaling is appropriate for the boss. Lots of roster levels can compete
    Yeah on round 8, so many fully covered 5s and champed 4 rosters can compete, not much else.
  • Tony_Foot
    I will say though, I love the boss mechanics. That part at least is great. And the scaling is appropriate for the boss. Lots of roster levels can compete
    Yeah on round 8, so many fully covered 5s and champed 4 rosters can compete, not much else.
    Which is perfect is it not? I have a dozen or so 4*s and I have eaten through this. At 1.1m personal progression and will keep going until we finish R8 in an hour or so. Yet 3* rosters should have gotten the rewards they are targetting, 3 Nova covers. They might not get the Purple token but nor should they be expected to and still make it remotely a challenge. TBH I don't know why that matters so much, It's one of the latest and I got Mordo. In 3* land it's not worth busting your **** for a chance at a single 5* SL or one of the latest 4's. You may as well get the Nova covers and go and enjoy your weekend.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    Side mission Venom...
    A greater threat than R8 Thanos 
    Yeah, he caught me off guard. In one shot with his green he took out Strang3, then with his yellow he took out the required character (can't remember who it was). Thankfully I had Bl4de's Bloodlust going, which was good for about 3K damage each turn. Probably would have lost if not for that. 

The scaling jump of 150 levels was a bit of a shock at first, but was still manageable. Still not looking forward to what it will settle on with the next jump. 

I've been using Thano5, Medusa and 5* Black Panther to fight Thanos. My Panther has four red covers, so if I make him take the hit when the Gauntlet tile resolves, he dodges and usually takes less than 2K damage and hits for about 3K. Or if I get my own Infinite Power tile out, the Gauntlet does nothing. Medusa's passive damage helps too. And with two 5*s if I can get the black Gem tile matched, the two critical tiles tend to be especially effective. All in all, I really like this event so far. 
  • MpqTron
    MpqTron Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Wiped once on lvl 8 thanos, but apart from that had a decent time. 4 star transition roster with 7 champed 4's. This has been the easiest of boss events for me, but each time fighting thanos I lost one if not two of my chars. Sometimes needed 3 health packs after a match. 

I think they got it right here, but it worked out for me so maybe I'm just biased 
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Very fun event. Sneaky Venom was a great surprise.

I can't be 100% sure, but it definitely seems like someone with a decent 3* roster would be able to clear this event. Maybe they would wipe on the thanos node once or twice, but it seems utterly doable. 
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    i think this will be the only boss battle i make final reward
  • Wumpushunter
    Tony Foot said:
    Which is perfect is it not? I have a dozen or so 4*s and I have eaten through this. At 1.1m personal progression and will keep going until we finish R8 in an hour or so. Yet 3* rosters should have gotten the rewards they are targetting, 3 Nova covers. They might not get the Purple token but nor should they be expected to and still make it remotely a challenge. TBH I don't know why that matters so much, It's one of the latest and I got Mordo. In 3* land it's not worth busting your **** for a chance at a single 5* SL or one of the latest 4's. You may as well get the Nova covers and go and enjoy your weekend.

So in other words,  us 3 star surfs should be happy with our thin gruel and be appreciative. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony Foot said:

So in other words,  us 3 star surfs should be happy with our thin gruel and be appreciative. 
    You seem to have a sense of entitlement that you think you should get the top reward even though you think you can't do it. You should get 3x Novas which is perfect for your 3* position. Missing out on RNG on another token is not the end of the world. That you think 3x 4*s is thin gruel probably is the first area were you need to re-address your game expectations.

Anyway with a 3* roster you should have got personal progression. Perhaps rather than complain about not being given an easy ride you should look at why you didn't make it to 900k when people with 2*s are able to take down Thanos or chip away enough to have scored well.

Enjoy your gruel!
  • Wumpushunter
    Or maybe you can stop being elitist, everyone being able to participate is not entitlement.
  • Tony_Foot
    And for the record, my family of alliances are having a fun competition now the event is over to do thanos with the lowest team. Lot's are doing it with 2 star teams so there is zero excuse to not get it done with 3*.

Even if you lose the damage you deal can be high. (With thanks to the L&L member for the pic)

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 965 Critical Contributor
    Tony Foot said:

More like enjoy the journey don't sweat the destination.  You'll get there, just not overnight.  Every 4* player now went through exactly what you are going through now in the past.  

Same goes for Gauntlet.  Took me over a year before I could complete it.  Now it isn't hard to even farm for extra rewards.  
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot said:

It may sound harsh, but everyone has to start somewhere. I started playing about a year ago, right before the first run of Civil War. As you can imagine, I couldn't play very many nodes, and got next to nothing for rewards (wasn't in a very strong alliance either).

I can't remember what the next alliance event was after that (a rerun of Ultron maybe?), but I did a little better on that one. When they reran Civil War again, a little better.  At the Galactus event over Christmas, I almost got personal progression for the first time, and would have if we hadn't been on the road so much.

I've hit it the last event or two they've had. It takes time and roster development. You can pay your way to the top to accelerate that progress, but understand that otherwise it will take time. If you don't get it this time, there's always the next event. I know that's not much consolation right now, but it's the best advice I have. 

You can also try to find a better alliance that will help you get those 4*covers. My alliance happens to be a more casual public alliance. We'll get the first cover, maaaayyyybe the second, but probably not the third. I really, REALLY could have used all three, but it's my fault and mine alone for not finding a different alliance before this event started. It's mostly apathy on my part, so I try not to complain about it. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as @DarthDeVo, even starting around the same time. My first alliance was super casual, to the extent that my 2-3* roster got me top spot in Boss Rush (some people did stop trying, and I actually wanted that Mohawk cover). It was around that time that I started looking for a new alliance and I lucked into one that suits me perfectly (Go, Team Emerald!), where pretty much the sole criterion for membership is trying in alliance events.

I've enjoyed watching the alliance as a whole advance as my roster has. With each event we do a little better, as individuals and as a whole. We should get the third Nova cover on the next refresh, and a bunch of us will hit max. personal progression. I did just now.

Alliance events aren't like regular PvE; you can't necessarily brute force your way to maximum progression. If you're missing essential characters, you'll miss a lot of points. If you get don't have good synergy in your boss node team, or you get a bad board, and your characters don't have the health to withstand the hits, you'll miss a lot of points. Every point you do get, though, helps your whole alliance.

Hard play will get you so far, and next time it will get you further.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    so gotta say despite my fears this event went pretty well.

my more casual alliance managed to get full progression already thanks to the massive damage gems on the board. Sure a number of our members wiped but they got a good chunk of points while doing so which is better than a number of other bosses.

So... I guess, I would give this event a positive review in general.

still need to fix unlock scaling as that just gets stupid fast.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Or maybe you can stop being elitist, everyone being able to participate is not entitlement.
    You're confusing "participation" with "easily coasting to the last progression reward". You certainly can do the former. You want the latter. That does sort of seem like a sense of entitlement.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    As someone still working on champing three stars, the highlight for me has been using Agent Venom who I have a load of covers for but is still level 70.

He has absolutely been my MVP against Thanos, hitting that blue stone early has been great fun.

Wasn't expecting to hit full progression, don't have Drax or AntMan, but cruised it in the end
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    My alliance is fairly casual - most members have been playing a long time but we have no particular participation requirements so the roster strength is fairly varierar. In previous boss battles only the strongest rosters were able to participate in round 8, but this time we're already done with round 8 and 13 members have made max progression.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    So I just got 4* Deadpool's Countdown for What CD tiles to line up with the row destroyed by Infinity Gauntlet - and IG neutralises them by turning them into charged tiles before destroying the row. I was hoping for some Tetris Ultron self-destruction antics...