Champion Reward Update for Select 3-Stars (4/21/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

With the previous couple of character releases, we've heard several requests to re-visit the Champion rewards for 3-Star characters, so the development team took some time during the start of the off-season to re-evaluate and adjust some of them!

These changes will go live next Friday (4/28), and there will be an official MOTD announcement this coming Monday (4/24). Having said that though, I wanted to give the forum community a bit of an exclusive sneak peek at the adjustments.

Enjoy!

Comments

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Good changes, and they give people a reason to actually level up Psylocke.

Oh, and I guess the next question is if 2* Hawkeye is ever going to get updated to give Hawkguy covers or will he keep giving IM40?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I just missed out on that yellow Peggy with my 190 Psylocke.

I'm a little murdery right now.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good changes, and they give people a reason to actually level up Psylocke.

Oh, and I guess the next question is if 2* Hawkeye is ever going to get updated to give Hawkguy covers or will he keep giving IM40?
    Quite clever link a low tier 3 to one of the best 4s..... 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    So glad I was able to get my Iron Fist and Blade up to 223 before these changes. Kinda makes me want to use the Kamala 223 cover I have coming to champ LThor now...decisions, decisions.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    While I have no problem with this change, I find it weird She-Hulk give Gwenpool and not Spider-Woman. I suppose they both broke the 4th wall.
  • Ryudoz
    Ryudoz Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    I literally just got a 4Cyke red cover I can't use for my 5/3/1 Scott from Visions champ level when I could have used the Wasp cover instead, particularly now. Ugh, timing!
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. Please keep in mind that these changes are not live yet. You have until next Friday to get these characters leveled up in order to acquire any of their current Champion rewards.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

The first three make perfect sense, and Vision to another Avenger instead of an X-Men, great.  All well done.

Questions:

1. I echo Hodayathink, and wonder when 2* Hawkeye will feed 3* Hawkguy.

2. I'm not complaining, because I really don't mind, but just curious if you would explain the other changes?

• Thanos to Rulk made no sense and neither does going to Spider-Woman.
    • KK to Lady Thor again, no sense, but what's her connection to Medusa?
    • At least Psylocke to XPool was one X-character to another.  What's her relation to Peggy?
    • Likewise Shulk to TAHulk was Hulk to Hulk, at least.  What's She Hulk's connection to GPool?

Or are these latter four just arbitrary changes to get some of the new toons in place?  That's cool...

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos to Spider Woman? Well, okay. Would have made more sense (logically) for him to stay Red Hulk, move Thor to Thor, and have Storm lead to Spider Woman (both heroines at least). I wonder what the plan is for Daken and Ragnarok?
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Felonius said:
    Can't speak for the other ones, but KK is an Inhuman and does have an arc involving Medusa in the Ms. Marvel comics
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm more annoyed with these changes because my psylocke is already over 190 so I missed the chance to earn the last color I need to get my Peggy Carter to max. Any chance that we can earn the cover retroactively??? 
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Felonius said:

The first three make perfect sense, and Vision to another Avenger instead of an X-Men, great.  All well done.

Questions:

1. I echo Hodayathink, and wonder when 2* Hawkeye will feed 3* Hawkguy.

2. I'm not complaining, because I really don't mind, but just curious if you would explain the other changes?

• Thanos to Rulk made no sense and neither does going to Spider-Woman.
    • At least Psylocke to XPool was one X-character to another.  What's her relation to Peggy?
    • Likewise Shulk to TAHulk was Hulk to Hulk, at least.  What's She Hulk's connection to GPool?

Or are these latter four just arbitrary changes to get some of the new toons in place?  That's cool...

KK to Medusa: KK is an Inhuman
    She-Hulk to Gwenpool: Both break the 4th Wall and are aware that they're characters in comic books.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    zodiac339 said:
    Thanos to Spider Woman? Well, okay. Would have made more sense (logically) for him to stay Red Hulk, move Thor to Thor, and have Storm lead to Spider Woman (both heroines at least). I wonder what the plan is for Daken and Ragnarok?

New 4* Daken with the exact same powers, except now his purple passive makes 3 red strikes when green is matched. It's LazyLazyDaken

That really reminds me of how weird color synergy was in the old days. Daken doesn't tank green or red, yet both colors are essential parts of his kit. Also reminds me of that dark time when a bunch of 3s were just clones of their 2* counterparts. Glad we've moved past that. 

Anyhow, Daken should reward X23, which he already does. He's Wolverine's son, she's his clone or something, there's a connection there.

Ragnarok would make sense either giving a cover for someone who created him, like Mr Fantastic or Iron Man, or a villain like Red Hulk. Or he could give 4* Thor I suppose. Perhaps with the new Thor movie we will get a 4* Loki and he could reward that. 
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    zodiac339 said:

New 4* Daken with the exact same powers, except now his purple passive makes 3 red strikes when green is matched. It's LazyLazyDaken

That really reminds me of how weird color synergy was in the old days. Daken doesn't tank green or red, yet both colors are essential parts of his kit. Also reminds me of that dark time when a bunch of 3s were just clones of their 2* counterparts. Glad we've moved past that. 

Anyhow, Daken should reward X23, which he already does. He's Wolverine's son, she's his clone or something, there's a connection there.

Ragnarok would make sense either giving a cover for someone who created him, like Mr Fantastic or Iron Man, or a villain like Red Hulk. Or he could give 4* Thor I suppose. Perhaps with the new Thor movie we will get a 4* Loki and he could reward that. 
    More than likely, we'll get a 5* Thor somewhere around Ragnarok (I think he's the last of the heroes in the first Avengers movie to get a 5* version, excluding Coulson and Fury). I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up with a Hela or Valkyrie instead of a new Loki (especially since the most likely way to get a new Loki wouldn't tie into the movie anyway, but be either FemLoki or KidLoki from the comics).
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm always fascinated by the fixation on pairing similar characters or variants together. I'd much rather see more interesting branching. Like, Psylocke leading to 4* Thor because their powers have nothing in common. Or 3* Falcon leading to Wasp because their powers pair well. Or 3* Luke Cage leading to 4* Iron Fist (and vice versa) so when you acquire the 4* via champ levels you already have the 3* to pair them with to get the extra benefit from their powers.

Something other than "connect the dots with matching names", something mechanically interesting. And something that doesn't need re-tooling every time a new variant comes out. Hawkeyes leading Modern to Hawkguy to Kate is BORING. Leave Modern Hawkeye feeding Iron Man 40.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for posting in advance!  There will always be people that just missed a reward they preferred, but having a week to decide helps.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    so much for getting red hulk purple from Thanos....at least it'll be a Spider Woman champion level
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I'm kind of bummed that I got a peggy champ level from 3* Carol instead of a 4* Carol, but I will totally take the red Medusa cover. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I finally leveled up my 3* Blade past 182 because my Modern Blade had 5 red.  What influenced the idea to change the order in which 4* covers are given as champ rewards.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why like 15% of the character covers are given differently than top-to-bottom order.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Hmm... Now I have to decide if it's better to get that Thoress blue from KK or wait and get Medusa purple... Probably Thoress since she's vaulted and Medusa isn't...