Ajani Unyielding: Official Thread

Comments

• Dsagent
    Dsagent Posts: 73 Match Maker
    What is with the development team and energy gems?
    In some events almost all the secondary objectives are energy related.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just noticed the 280 jewels attached to it. Hahahah....
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    morgue427 said:
    honestly dont see people (not ai) using the first ability much except in emergenies. second more use i think but against a energize deck could get you in a lot of trouble too
    Except his second ability is currently bugged. It'll only buff your creatures once, then after that it doesn't take hold.

Also I feel like energize wasn't the right choice for him. White doesn't have a whole lot it can do with the energy on the field, and while green does, it's generally not that impressive. Also, it's unfortunate that tying it to energy to make his abilities effective (or at least his third ability effective) now makes every planeswalker from this block reliant on block mechanics except for Tezzeret.

Ally Gideon is reliant on block mechanics, and we can see how stale he became, so how long until the same fate falls on Nissa, Dovin, Saheeli, Chandra, and now Ajani? Unless they translate future mechanics into energize, we won't be seeing this return to future cards, and all 5 will get out-classed and end up just warming the bench.

Only reason I can see any of these being played in the long-term is for the color combos they enable.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Don't even care about abilities, just want the color combination. Deploy, Defiant Challenge, Gaea's Revenge... here I come!!!
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker

last ability wont work if all the gems on the board are full. really interesting planeswalker concept.

I wonder what his HP are at various levels, if he has high HP at low level and a first ability that gives you life. I don't really see a reason to lvl him to 60.

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards

Are you guys honestly funding D3ceived, D3flowered, D3spicable company for a G/W pw with marginal skills who will be free in 4 weeks?  Good lord people.  Say it with me... Not.Another.Tiny.Kitty.Dime.

• morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    deploy the gatewatch is always an option also and everyones favorite war pig.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    wereotter said:

Ally Gideon is reliant on block mechanics, and we can see how stale he became, so how long until the same fate falls on Nissa, Dovin, Saheeli, Chandra, and now Ajani? Unless they translate future mechanics into energize, we won't be seeing this return to future cards, and all 5 will get out-classed and end up just warming the bench.
    DB and Saheeli will be OK because they can use blue cards. Hibernum are still a long ways off realising that they've made blue too powerful.
  • wereotter
    Abenjes said:

last ability wont work if all the gems on the board are full. really interesting planeswalker concept.

I wonder what his HP are at various levels, if he has high HP at low level and a first ability that gives you life. I don't really see a reason to lvl him to 60.

They encourage you to level him partially because of his initial mana gains. At level 1, he has +1 for green and white and -2 on every other color making it REALLY hard to cast anything. I have him at 30 and it's still not that easy to cast since every off color match is still -1.
  • wereotter

shteev said:
    wereotter said:

DB and Saheeli will be OK because they can use blue cards. Hibernum are still a long ways off realising that they've made blue too powerful.
    Just like in paper magic.... ;) Blue is always OP
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Meh. Yet another energy PW, with bad mana. At least it is a new color combination.
  • morgue427
    blue is op IF you can get control right from the start, have a bad start and game is pretty much over. few blockers no life gain to speak of. blue is very dependent on mana and cards being there when you need it, which can behard. when it works everyone remembers them wrecking you but otherwise it is usually just ehh easy match a blue pw to fight against, at least that is the way it is to me.

I know but they have baral, imprision in the moon exert influence and other way nasty cards lets not forget startled awake. all good but you need to have them when you neeed them to make everything work which doesnt hppen as often as you would like much less everytime.
    my 2 cents worth, worth perhaps 1 cent
  • morgue427
    also not feeling he is tied to energize fully more so than rai or bann but not as bad as n2, so time will tell if the others will survive c2 is locked in i think and will never see play after this block
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    morgue427 said:
    blue is op IF you can get control right from the start, have a bad start and game is pretty much over. few blockers no life gain to speak of. blue is very dependent on mana and cards being there when you need it, which can behard. when it works everyone remembers them wrecking you but otherwise it is usually just ehh easy match a blue pw to fight against, at least that is the way it is to me.

I know but they have baral, imprision in the moon exert influence and other way nasty cards lets not forget startled awake. all good but you need to have them when you neeed them to make everything work which doesnt hppen as often as you would like much less everytime.
    my 2 cents worth, worth perhaps 1 cent

Unfortunately blue is also thematically tied to draw and cycle mechanics, which means those cards appear in your hand much faster/often than usual. 

It also has mass tempo cards like Displacement wave, Engulf the shore and tentacles which means the faster you throw down your creatures and reinforce them, the more you put yourself in danger of getting locked down hard. 

Blue was already powerful. Imprison in the moon and startled awake make no sense at all because they are blatant moves to shore up blue's weaknesses. 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    wereotter said:

Ally Gideon is reliant on block mechanics, and we can see how stale he became, so how long until the same fate falls on...Chandra?
    Pretty sure Chandra 2 was stale from the day she was made and has been warming benches since the Inventor's Fair that required her ended. Sure, she might be used by some for 1.1 in RAtC but lets not mistake that with actually being useful. As for new Ajani, he's just pathetic. I shouldn't be surprised after how bad N2 and C2 turned out but T2 gave me a small glimmer of hope for A2. I'm disappointed in myself for not expecting to be disappointed.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    I played him in qb and he felt reallllly defensive to play against. Definitely the most defensive yet. 
  • morgue427
    not fast i dont think but defense may put ratc 3.3 to shame healing as fast as he can wack you but you would still need some of the mythics to put all that energy to use
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor

I played a bunch of QB this morning to try him out.

I don't like the 4 support limitation because I need all of those slots just to keep energy on the board and take advantage of it.  He can hold his own in most cases, and he can also take a beating and come back for a victory through endurance.  He does have certain weaknesses that I feel I can't cover without exposing some other weakness, maybe that's a good thing for balance.

This is what I went with.  I subbed in the Bristling Hydra to try and play "the long game", I'm not sure if it's any better than just having Serene Steward in there.  The Steward speeds up the deck and can eat kill spells.  I suppose you could use Lone Rider as well.

• morgue427
    still trying and hoping for solemn recruit, one gold i have wanted since before aer came out haunted cloak as i close second though
  • Dsagent
    Dsagent Posts: 73 Match Maker
    wereotter said:

shteev said:
    wereotter said:

Just like in paper magic.... ;) Blue is always OP
    Yep I still groan whenever I see an island drop.
    I just fought against a jace deck in game that seemed to have no win condition only bounce and removal.

After testing ajani out I really like his colors. Green has ramp and white has creatures. Possible potential with lone rider.