Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2017 in Planeswalker Details
jmkcUE9.jpg

pStGonL.jpg

Cost to Max Level: 160,730 runes

manared.pngmanawhite.pngAjani
1: Sundering Slash - cost: 9, 6 at max level
1 - Disable target creature with Defender, Reach, or Vigilance until the end of your turn.
2 - Disable target creature with Defender, Reach, or Vigilance until the beginning of your next turn.
3 - Disable target creature until the beginning of your next turn
4 - Disable target creature until the beginning of your next turn. - Cost 6

2: Lightning Helix - cost: 12
1 - Deal 3 damage to target creature and gain 3 life.
2 - Deal 4 damage to target creature and gain 4 life.
3 - Deal 5 damage to target creature and gain 5 life.
4 - Deal 6 damage to target creature and gain 6 life.

3: Reprisal - cost: 18
1 - Destroy 5 gems, prioritizing your opponent's color.
2 - Destroy 10 gems, prioritizing your opponent's color.
3 - Destroy 15 gems, prioritizing your opponent's color.
4 - Destroy 20 gems, prioritizing your opponent's color.

Level 60 mana bonuses: +3 manawhite.png | +2 managreen.png | +2 manared.png | manablack.png | +1 manablue.png
Level 60 HP: 119
Level 60 max Creatures: X Spells: X Supports: X

Post your decks and tips for Ajani below!

Comments

• Malcrof
    Old Ajani deck thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46087

Any info on levels 2 and 3 of Sundering Slash would be helpful! Thanks!
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Malcrof wrote:

If I recall correctly, rank 2 disables a creature with Defender, Reach, or Vigilance until the beginning of your next turn and rank 3 disables any creature, but it costs 9 mana, at rank 4 the cost is reduced to 6.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:

If I recall correctly, rank 2 disables a creature with Defender, Reach, or Vigilance until the beginning of your next turn and rank 3 disables any creature, but it costs 9 mana, at rank 4 the cost is reduced to 6.

Updated!
  • csonic
    csonic Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Any updated decks from people now that Ajani has been re-released and many new cards have been released too?
  • Shadow-Mage
    Shadow-Mage Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    csonic wrote:
    Any updated decks from people now that Ajani has been re-released and many new cards have been released too?

I just got Ajani on the Rerelease and leveled him to level 30. This is what I am running and why, but it doesn't run great at the moment. I am struggling with adapting a deck to his abilities.

Creatures

Akroan Jailer: Quick disable summon
    Stern Constable: Quick disable summon with more power than above
    Unruly mob: I expected my creatures to die quite a bit so I added him for his growth upon their death
    Kor Entaglers: A bit stronger yet, disabling power
    Avacynian Missionaries: When they transform they indefinitely disable your opponents first creature
    Kytheon's Irregulars: A blocker that can disable other blockers

Spells
    Ethereal Guidance: Buff creatures and transform the missionaries
    Swift Reckoning: Remove the disabled
    Declaration in Stone: Pure Removal

Supports
    Knightly Valor: Buff creature, give defender to creature and summon an extra defender all in one.

Personally I think (as stated above) this deck is slow and sloppy. I have thought of just making it into a life gain burn deck but am not sure whether I can make this strategy work better. I have seen and gone up against Ajani decks that work the disable and remove strategy expertly and was aiming for that.

Any and all help in modifying this deck would be appreciated.
  • GregDreher
    GregDreher Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    I've had good experiences with a deck with a few core cards:

Lone Rider/It That Rides As One
    Serene Steward
    Zada, Hedron Grinder
    Sure Strike
    One life gain spell (Healing Hands or Chaplain's Blessing)
    One more targeted buff spell (Murderer's Axe, Uncaged Fury, Titan's Strength, or Infectious Bloodlust)

I've swapped around other cards just to build mastery, but if I were to flesh out the deck, I'd add a creature destruction spell (Smite the Monstrous), a mana generating construct (Battlefield Forge), and a couple of other creatures.

The buff spells, life gain spells, and Lightning Helix all transform Lone Rider, creating a very powerful creature, one made even better in combination with Serene Steward. And buff spells plus Zada equals a lot of damage out of nowhere.
  • GregDreher
    GregDreher Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    I actually used Ajani's third ability for the first time. The opponent's Gideon 2 deck used Starfield of Nyx to repeatedly spam creature-disabling and creature-destroying supports, and Ajani's third ability was useful to get rid of the last shield on Starfield of Nyx.

But normally, that third ability may as well not exist.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use his 3rd ability a lot. I have a lot of ways to destroy their creatures besides using loyalty, so if I need to fill up my hand with mana, it's very good for triggering cascades, or activating gems/destroying their supports, etc. IMO a very underrated ability.
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    What are the creature/spells/support numbers at level 60?

Thank you in advance! icon_e_smile.gif
  • AresOmega
    AresOmega Posts: 75 Match Maker
    AngelForge wrote:
    What are the creature/spells/support numbers at level 60?

Thank you in advance! icon_e_smile.gif

At level 60
    Creatures: 9
    Spells: 6
    Supports: 5
  • Smash666
    Smash666 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has a Ajaini deck list that could beat that annoying Tezzeret in revolt against the consultant. I tried to get it over and over with all sorts of combos etc but I just can't seem to nail it. If you could help me I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Smash666 iso8.png
  • AngelForge
    Smash666 wrote:
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has a Ajaini deck list that could beat that annoying Tezzeret in revolt against the consultant. I tried to get it over and over with all sorts of combos etc but I just can't seem to nail it. If you could help me I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Smash666 iso8.png

It would be good if you can post rares and mythics that you consider worth mentioning for Ajani.
    Of course, someone can post his badass Ajani mythic heavy deck that probably wipes the floor with Tezzeret, but that won't help you at all.
  • Smash666
    Thanks for the reply  AngelForge,  OK at the moment I'm running in my Ajaini 
    Support 
    Hixus Prison Warden 
    Campaign of Vengeance 
    Aether Hubbard
    Gonthi's Aether Heart 
    Spells 
    Aerial Modification 
    Give no Ground 
    Ondu Rising 
    Creatures 
    Maulfist Doorbuster
    Serene Steward 
    Lone  Rider 
    I have tried decks to disable his creatures and tried overpowering him also tried using his energized gems against him but no luck.
    These are the mythic/ rares  that I have i  think might work  but I'm not sure.
    Mythic
    Odric, Lunarch Marshal
    Skysovereign Consul Flagship 
    Decimator of the  Tithes
    Aethergeode Miner 
    Mirrorpool 
    Rares 
    Release the Gremlins 
    Thalia, Heretic Cather 
    Orbs of  Warding 
    Avacyns  Judgment 
    Solemn Recruit 
    Suppression Bonds 
    Devils Playground 
    Deadlock Trap
    Consulate Crackdown
    If you  can help me, that would be awesome. Or if you could show me a deck list of another PW that would beat him I would would be greatful. 
    Thanks Smash666
  • AngelForge
    Hi Smash666,

You have some good cards there.

Here's my opinion on your deck, maybe others will contribute something as well.

Support 
    Hixus Prison Warden (This is really a good card. Once you have that out and could reinforce it over the game, you should have no problem beating Tezzeret, who has no support removal.)

Campaign of Vengeance (Can be great, but since you only have three creatures and it takes a long time to have them all out, you will never have a lot of benefit for your invested mana most of the time)

Aether Hub (Not a bad card, but you run mainly cheap cards, so I don't feel it really needed here)

Gonthi's Aether Heart (Generally a great card, and you should be able to use it against Tezzeret, since he energizes the board quite well)

Spells 
    Aerial Modification (In general a good card, but I don't think that it will give you enough edge against Tezzeret)

Give no Ground (I really like this card and it's great in PVP. Here I feel like Tezzeret creature grow to powerful to quickly to give you an edge with this)

Ondu Rising (Also a nice card, but one of your creatures already has lifelink and this card doesn't support you well against 512 hit points. Again, it can give you an edge in a PVP game where hit points are kind of equal)

Creatures 
    Maulfist Doorbuster (I guess you have it in here to disable the defender and push though with your attack? I'm not sure if this will work on the long run)

Serene Steward (Generally a good card, when you have Lone Rider in the first spot)

Lone  Rider (Great card, once you can get it to have a lot of power and toughness)

(In general I would say, that the problem of you deck is, that you have 3 spells that all boost creature, but you only have 3 creatures in your deck, so it is not unlikey, that you have a lot of cards in hand, that you can't use. Furthermore these spells can't really deal with Heart of Kiran at an early stage of the game.)

I would say, you have to focus. Since you have Hixus, it is not a bad idea to go for this card. Until you you have that cards out, you have to have control. So, how about some thing like this:

Supports
    Hixus, Prison Warden
    Deadlock Trap
    Suppression bond (may look like to much, but the more disable you have you earlier can establish it, until you have Hixus on the board and if early Hixus is destroyed you may have at least the first creature disabled)

Something for drawing cards (Tamyo's Journal or Fevered Vision available?)

Creatures
    Serene Steward 
    Lone  Rider 
    Something with lifelink (?) or Skysovereign Consul Flagship or none 

Spells
    Encircling Fissure
    Alchemist's Vial
    Humble the Brute
    Swift Reckoning
    (If no 3rd creature chosen maybe Magmatic Insight for more card draw)

The strategy is quite simple, get hixus out as fast and as often as you can.
    All the rest should be around disable, drawing cards or remove creatures.
    Once Hixus is established on the board, you should be able just to watch the show, reinforce Serene or Lone rider whenever possible and watch them grow.

Downside is, that it is going to be a long game for sure.
    A second lifelink creature could add some safety on the long run.

Do you have other level 60 PW? Sorin for example? I just a Sorin deck with lifelink creature and removals to some success until I used Dovin Baan with Baral...

• Smash666
    Hi Smash666,

You have some good cards there.

Here's my opinion on your deck, maybe others will contribute something as well.

Support 
    Hixus Prison Warden (This is really a good card. Once you have that out and could reinforce it over the game, you should have no problem beating Tezzeret, who has no support removal.)

Campaign of Vengeance (Can be great, but since you only have three creatures and it takes a long time to have them all out, you will never have a lot of benefit for your invested mana most of the time)

Aether Hub (Not a bad card, but you run mainly cheap cards, so I don't feel it really needed here)

Gonthi's Aether Heart (Generally a great card, and you should be able to use it against Tezzeret, since he energizes the board quite well)

Spells 
    Aerial Modification (In general a good card, but I don't think that it will give you enough edge against Tezzeret)

Give no Ground (I really like this card and it's great in PVP. Here I feel like Tezzeret creature grow to powerful to quickly to give you an edge with this)

Ondu Rising (Also a nice card, but one of your creatures already has lifelink and this card doesn't support you well against 512 hit points. Again, it can give you an edge in a PVP game where hit points are kind of equal)

Creatures 
    Maulfist Doorbuster (I guess you have it in here to disable the defender and push though with your attack? I'm not sure if this will work on the long run)

Serene Steward (Generally a good card, when you have Lone Rider in the first spot)

Lone  Rider (Great card, once you can get it to have a lot of power and toughness)

(In general I would say, that the problem of you deck is, that you have 3 spells that all boost creature, but you only have 3 creatures in your deck, so it is not unlikey, that you have a lot of cards in hand, that you can't use. Furthermore these spells can't really deal with Heart of Kiran at an early stage of the game.)

I would say, you have to focus. Since you have Hixus, it is not a bad idea to go for this card. Until you you have that cards out, you have to have control. So, how about some thing like this:

Supports
    Hixus, Prison Warden
    Deadlock Trap
    Suppression bond (may look like to much, but the more disable you have you earlier can establish it, until you have Hixus on the board and if early Hixus is destroyed you may have at least the first creature disabled)

Something for drawing cards (Tamyo's Journal or Fevered Vision available?)

Creatures
    Serene Steward 
    Lone  Rider 
    Something with lifelink (?) or Skysovereign Consul Flagship or none 

Spells
    Encircling Fissure
    Alchemist's Vial
    Humble the Brute
    Swift Reckoning
    (If no 3rd creature chosen maybe Magmatic Insight for more card draw)

The strategy is quite simple, get hixus out as fast and as often as you can.
    All the rest should be around disable, drawing cards or remove creatures.
    Once Hixus is established on the board, you should be able just to watch the show, reinforce Serene or Lone rider whenever possible and watch them grow.

Downside is, that it is going to be a long game for sure.
    A second lifelink creature could add some safety on the long run.

Do you have other level 60 PW? Sorin for example? I just a Sorin deck with lifelink creature and removals to some success until I used Dovin Baan with Baral...

Thank you for your advice, I  have many at level 60, there's Ajani, Tezzeret  ( old one), Nahiri,  Sorin, Dovan Bann,  Arlinn kord, both  Nissa, both Gideon, both Liliana, Koth, Kiora, both Chandra, both Jace, Garruk. As you can see I've been  working on them lol. I'm still working on  Ob Nixilis, Sarkarn and  Saheeli.
  • AngelForge
    One thing came to my mind. 
    Skysovereign Consul Flagship may be in any case a bad choice, because once you have Hixus out and trapped the opponent's creatures, you want them to stay there. Skysovereign Consul Flagship could actually kill an opponent's creature and make space for a new one.

So, how is it going against Tezzeret?
  • Smash666
    One thing came to my mind. 
    Skysovereign Consul Flagship may be in any case a bad choice, because once you have Hixus out and trapped the opponent's creatures, you want them to stay there. Skysovereign Consul Flagship could actually kill an opponent's creature and make space for a new one.

So, how is it going against Tezzeret?
    Wow I just won against him just now, I made some changes, I took out  the Alchemists vial  and added my new card Oath of Ajaini. It seems to work well with that deck. Instead of that flagship I put in that 3/3 lifelink white card, I forget the  name. Anyway  thank you for all your help. Um not to sound greedy  but do you  have any ideas on a good  Kiora  deck? Mine doesn't cut the mustard anymore.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, have a look in the Kiora thread ;) If you want more advise: ask your question there (and tag AngelForge there, if you want especially his advice ;))

• Smash666
    well, have a look in the Kiora thread ;) If you want more advise: ask your question there (and tag AngelForge there, if you want especially his advice ;))

Yeah will do, I'd thought I'd be cheeky and ask lol
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker

I've been making a lot of low-cost decks lately. The result of overplaying deploy. AER really open the door on that with creatures like Sram, Kari Zev and Lighting Runner.

I wanted to make a speed deck with Ajani1, while building on his strength (disable and removal). I ended up with 2 draw engines (Tami's journal/FV), so I can consistently control the board with ease. at the same time populating and reinforcing my side of the board fast.

Unlike my Nahiri's Striker deck. This deck is very resilient against creature removals. It only runs 3 creatures (Sram, Ornithopter and devil tokens) but the speed at which you draw and cast them makes up for only having so few. if they aren't removed. they get reinforced rather quickly. because Ajani's mana gains are so good and with the help from shrine I can pump out 2 4/4 creatures a turn. 

Goes without saying, it's also very easy to get other copies of spells with all this draw. I often wait until I get 2 copies of Hexus/Suppression before I play them. If I don't do that, they just like servos waiting to be destroyed.

I wanted to also fit lone rider in here. But with the speed in which creatures are cast, I don't have the room for him once his flipped. If only they allowed us to play the card flipped when you have the flipped side on the board (kind of like how meld works in EM) I would make room for Rider in a heartbeat.

The low cost and draw make this deck very competitive. I hadn't brought it to TotP yet. maybe after the update, I'll give it a go and see how it performs outside of QB.

Any thoughts or opinion are welcome of course!
    Have a nice day~