*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• her blue is too much . better to steal from all ap color equally than concentrate on 1 highest ap color. it seems not likely the enemy gather so much ap to be stolen. at that time they would already use it. not keep it till 19+
    yup. mediocre char. except her 3 star limit. i prefer obw. not even compared to gsbw usefulness
    If you're fighting against PVE toons, like Maggia or Hammer, you will find that they very often have a big stash of AP of one or two colors. They rack it up every turn and they don't use it all when using their abilities. I've seen 24 yellow and 18 green in one fight. Would've loved to steal that faster than 3 at a time with my OBW.

Will have to see her in non-buffed battles, once I get her above lvl 18... >.>
  • pumkin wrote:
    I don't know what it is, but I love this character. I only placed top 50, so I only got 2 colors. I wish I had worked a bit to get her blue. Very few characters have I taken an immediate liking to. From first reading about her abilities, I'm thinking 5/3/5. A three-count timer leaves too much to chance. If the countdown timer decreases as it levels up, it might change to 5/4/4. But they also just increased the AP requirement for Bewilder. This is another character whose three abilities are almost equally cool. She's a combination of Black Widow, Wolvie and Doom. Maybe not the same damage levels. I don't know; I haven't done math. But she seems pretty damn awesome at first glance.

Hey Blue at level 5 is a 2 turn countdown instead of 3.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I have to say, I'm finding her really fun to use in the pve event. Just the combination of steadily increasing your turn damage combined with kickass animations just make it fun for me. Just running on red/black covers too.

Still trying to make a good team for her...
  • I'm thinking 5/3/5 at 1st glance because she steaks a pretty adequate amount if ap at lvl 3. This also maxes out her strike and attack tiles that is always a good combo.
  • For those saying her blue is weak, I can guaranteed you OBW and The Hood will be nerfed in their AP stealing abilities at some point, if even Psylocke's relatively weak AP stealing ability got nerfed before it even went live (went from 8 blue to 10 blue). I don't know if that's enough to make you invest 5 into blue, but getting the countdown from 3 to 2 turns might be a big deal if Dormammu's Aid and Aggressive Recon gets nerfed, and they definitely will.

It's probably best to not invest beyond 3 cover of any color until the fallout from the nerf to other AP stealing abilities is over.

One thing I noticed is that the red strike tiles doesn't have to be created by Psylocke, so you can do Daken + Psylocke, match green to put 2 weak ones, and this drops your red to 6 and then you can put your first big one for 2 AP cheaper, and 6 versus 8 is the differnce between 2 matches or 3 matches, so that's a pretty big difference. I imagine that'd be a very good combo for PvE.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    For those saying her blue is weak, I can guaranteed you OBW and The Hood will be nerfed in their AP stealing abilities at some point, if even Psylocke's relatively weak AP stealing ability got nerfed before it even went live (went from 8 blue to 10 blue). I don't know if that's enough to make you invest 5 into blue, but getting the countdown from 3 to 2 turns might be a big deal if Dormammu's Aid and Aggressive Recon gets nerfed, and they definitely will.

It's probably best to not invest beyond 3 cover of any color until the fallout from the nerf to other AP stealing abilities is over.

One thing I noticed is that the red strike tiles doesn't have to be created by Psylocke, so you can do Daken + Psylocke, match green to put 2 weak ones, and this drops your red to 6 and then you can put your first big one for 2 AP cheaper, and 6 versus 8 is the differnce between 2 matches or 3 matches, so that's a pretty big difference. I imagine that'd be a very good combo for PvE.

Hard to judge how long that would take-- we are still not that far through our current "funbalance" list. I'd assume the respec would be in by then, so the downsides would be less sever.
  • eidehua wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    For those saying her blue is weak, I can guaranteed you OBW and The Hood will be nerfed in their AP stealing abilities at some point, if even Psylocke's relatively weak AP stealing ability got nerfed before it even went live (went from 8 blue to 10 blue). I don't know if that's enough to make you invest 5 into blue, but getting the countdown from 3 to 2 turns might be a big deal if Dormammu's Aid and Aggressive Recon gets nerfed, and they definitely will.

Hard to judge how long that would take-- we are still not that far through our current "funbalance" list. I'd assume the respec would be in by then, so the downsides would be less sever.

I'm sure it'll happen long after the respecs are in but the iso8/HP you spent still isn't coming back. I mean if 5 more red/black cover happened to rain down on you, you might as well use them, but I sure wouldn't be spending HP to upgrade her covers beyond 3 at this point.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    if Dormammu's Aid and Aggressive Recon gets nerfed, and they definitely will.

that's a pretty decisive statement considering Demiurge has never said anything along those lines, and Daredevil/Psylocke are a completely different class of character than hood/obw
  • Puritas wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

that's a pretty decisive statement considering Demiurge has never said anything along those lines, and Daredevil/Psylocke are a completely different class of character than hood/obw

Is there a class for 'support abilities that are less than half as good as existing ones?' This game shows rather significant newbie mistakes on the early characters designs (see prenerf Ragnarok) that comes from inexperience. Therefore newer characters are likely to be closer to balanced, and the two major existing AP steal abilities are simply way better than the new ones. In the Wolverine/Thor rebalancing you see that the devs alluded to some kind of budget for how good an ability can be. Unless there's a special budget for extra awesome support abilities that OBW and The Hood are on compared to Daredevil/Psylocke, both of them are way over budget if you assume the new characters are budgeted correctly.

Psylocke's AP steal didn't even survive at the original 8 AP cost even though nobody would think it's overpowered compared to existing abilities. They're putting a rather tight limit on how powerful AP steal abilities can be. Unless there are two completely different design teams, it makes no sense you'd nerf Psylocke's blue from 8 AP to 10 AP, and yet completely ignore abilities that are, by a conservative estimate, at least twice as good. For example, compared to Aggressive Recon, AR uses less valuable assets (blue is more valuable than purple), steals up to 24 AP and has no defenses against it, while there are multiple ways to deal with Bewilder (destroy the tile, use up the AP before 2 turns, or even match another color), and is unlikely to ever steal more than about 12 AP unless it's a dead color (because if you have 12 AP of something you almost certainly can use an ability), and if it's a dead color then clearly the side losing those AP suffers no direct impact from losing the dead color.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Psy and Daredevil both have 1.5x the HP of the Hood, and psy does drastically more damage.
    They're both frontline damage-dealers with added utility, rather than utility/support characters with a damage skill like OBW/Hood

Considering that Hood doesn't really bring anything other than the AP steal, idk if you can call him overbudgeted.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can Hood's Intimidate cause count down timers to hit zero? That certainly could be used in some combos for characters like Magneto, Cap, & Ares. I was always under the impression that was Hood's primary role was to support someone who has a lot of countdown moves.
  • My psylocke is at lvl 53, 3/1/2. I used some HP I've been hording. She is a beast with patch. Strp one get nine green. Step two get a bunch of red and black. Step 3 completely destroy the other team. It's awesome cuz with her current buff, at lvl 53 she has 5800 health. It's kinda like she's lvl 141, but with worse damage. Anyway she's a tone of fun. I like punisher too, but getting that black strike tile down so fast is boss tastic.
  • Well, what is the point of making her critical 3.8 when everyone else is 3.5 or 4.0? Or a rounded number like that. It only makes her worse than punisher more than she already is.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Puritas wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Psylocke's AP steal didn't even survive at the original 8 AP cost even though nobody would think it's overpowered compared to existing abilities. They're putting a rather tight limit on how powerful AP steal abilities can be. Unless there are two completely different design teams, it makes no sense you'd nerf Psylocke's blue from 8 AP to 10 AP, and yet completely ignore abilities that are, by a conservative estimate, at least twice as good. For example, compared to Aggressive Recon, AR uses less valuable assets (blue is more valuable than purple), steals up to 24 AP and has no defenses against it, while there are multiple ways to deal with Bewilder (destroy the tile, use up the AP before 2 turns, or even match another color), and is unlikely to ever steal more than about 12 AP unless it's a dead color (because if you have 12 AP of something you almost certainly can use an ability), and if it's a dead color then clearly the side losing those AP suffers no direct impact from losing the dead color.
    Don't compare oBW/Hood to Psylocke, por favor... Other people have already tried explaining that they are too different to compare. And most people you annoy so much with your 'AR needs to be nerfed' don't use it to steal 24 AP anyway, it's 15 AP in the best case (3rd level AR) if the enemy has every colour. oBW needs to have good AP stealing because she can't kill anyone on her own quickly so she needs at least some survivability; Psylocke doesn't even need AP steal in the first place, it's simply a bonus that may or may not pay off.
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    Can Hood's Intimidate cause count down timers to hit zero? That certainly could be used in some combos for characters like Magneto, Cap, & Ares. I was always under the impression that was Hood's primary role was to support someone who has a lot of countdown moves.

Hood's primary role is AP denial. His most common build is 5/5/3. I honestly haven't had an opportunity to use his Intimidation yet, but my only countdown character is Magneto** - I usually pair Magneto with C Storm to feed her blue ap and occasionally use his red (which, with a 4/5/4 build, only takes 1 round to fire off anyway)
  • Has anyone tried her with ares and OBW. Been playing with this for a couple hours and love the synergy they have. Think it might be to OP though. Thought?
  • The only person that immediately strikes me as having good synergy with Psylocke is Daken. But like Punisher her abilities are pretty self sufficient.
  • Found psylocke to kill quite quickly. In the goon battles, i run cmags 5/5/3, patch, and psy. I usually finish those battles in less than 2 minutes. But of course she is also buffed for this event
  • Daken and wolvie are pretty bad with her couse she only puts her strike tiles if there are no more then 3. So if you match green 2 times with maxed daken she will not be able to put any strike tiles.
  • DaloneWolf wrote:
    Black: Psi Katana 5/5
    Cost: 6
    Deals 965 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a black tile into a 231 attack tile that damages the current opponent each turn.

To me that looks so much worse compared to Molotov. Should cost 5 AP for that effect, maybe even 4.