Alliances

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Just saw the patch notes talking about instituting alliances into this game.

Why is this necessary?

I really enjoy puzzle quest, and Marvel, so this game made sense for me. However, I have played similar games on ios and android, and the only ones that I've kept with are the ones that DO NOT require you to play with others to enjoy the game. Every other one I've stopped playing (Rage of Bahamut, Marvel War of Heroes, Tranformers: Legends, etc.) for specifically this reason.

I really hope this is only cosmetic, or that they do not implement this feature period. This game is fun, and it is nice to be able to pick up my phone and get some puzzle quest action in without having to worry about who else is on, or what time you need to participate in an event to match with your alliance members.

I know this may be a way they see to make $ from the game, but this is one player who has spent $ on this game who will surely no longer support it if solo play takes a backseat to group play.

Comments

• Listen I get that members of the community are scared of Alliances, but until we know what an Alliance actually is in this game, posting threads to pre-emptively complain seems wasteful.

For all we know, an Alliance will just highlight when an "Alliance member" is in one of your nodes. Chill, until we see what D3/Demiurge has in store.
  • jozier wrote:
    Listen I get that members of the community are scared of Alliances, but until we know what an Alliance actually is in this game, posting threads to pre-emptively complain seems wasteful.

For all we know, an Alliance will just highlight when an "Alliance member" is in one of your nodes. Chill, until we see what D3/Demiurge has in store.

To play devil's advocate here: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  • jozier wrote:
    Listen I get that members of the community are scared of Alliances, but until we know what an Alliance actually is in this game, posting threads to pre-emptively complain seems wasteful.

To play devil's advocate here: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

That works when it's something like skip tax where the mechanic is basically well enough understood to clamour against it.

But people are literally freaking out because the word "alliance" popped up. We have literally no other information beyond that single word, and unlike skip tax, the concept of alliance in this game isn't immediately obvious.
  • I'm not going to complain about features that aren't released, but I don't want to feel like I can't compete without joining an alliance. That would surely make me quit. Just don't have any friends that would be into this game.
  • I'm fine with then adding in alliances only if they have a fine balance between single player and alliance play or still make single play the heavier focus
  • aboudreau wrote:
    I'm not going to complain about features that aren't released, but I don't want to feel like I can't compete without joining an alliance. That would surely make me quit. Just don't have any friends that would be into this game.

Same on all.accounts. I had about 2-3 ppl I know playing and they all quit by now. At first tried to get my other brother (got one of them to play for a good month or two) to play, but after a lot of the changes I kinda stopped recommending the game as I knew it would frustrate more than anything. This game is already such a time sink, which isn't what I was going for (well..a time sink..but not on this level lol) when I first downloaded it. Adding team play would kinda be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

@jozier. Telling.the devs what you don't want it to be is just as helpful with or without more specific info. If anything, its more helpful, as they are more likely to make changes early on before they can give details than after they have worked hours and days on something. I wouldn't call the outcry against the skip tax preventative as much as it was reactionary but before implementation. The earlier in the development cycle you kick an issue the easier it is for everybody.
  • I'm wondering if it might be a way to enforce an agreement between two players, that one won't attack the other, or that groups wont attack people in their own group.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I'm wondering if it might be a way to enforce an agreement between two players, that one won't attack the other, or that groups wont attack people in their own group.
    This would be good but also add a ranking system just to add a small competetive side to it but not enough where single play would be phased out
  • The first few members can join an Alliance for free. Then it will start costing 50 HP. Every 4 members, that cost increases by another 50 HP. icon_razz.gif
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I play a game called Jungle Heat on my iPhone. I am in a Clan, I think most of the people are Russian as I can't understand anything they type. Anyway, we compete in weekly tournaments and the top clans get diamonds (our ISO or HP) depending on their placement. The top competing clan members get the Diamonds divied(how is divie not a word?) up between them. Once in a clan you cannot attack clan members. I would like to believe that Alliances in MPQ would be similar to this set up. However, at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see the devs implement the Alliance system and it be a colossal disaster.
  • I play a game called Jungle Heat on my iPhone. I am in a Clan, I think most of the people are Russian as I can't understand anything they type. Anyway, we compete in weekly tournaments and the top clans get diamonds (our ISO or HP) depending on their placement. The top competing clan members get the Diamonds divied(how is divie not a word?) up between them. Once in a clan you cannot attack clan members. I would like to believe that Alliances in MPQ would be similar to this set up. However, at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see the devs implement the Alliance system and it be a colossal disaster.

Lol. With how mmr works currently, friend the wrong ppl and you'll never be able Gl attack again with that set-up...lol. if all it is, is an in game version of the current facebook use (sharing rewards with order memebers, etc) I think it will be a nice addition. Especially cuz, F creepbook. I could survive if they have a clam reward section for events, maybe clan progression for ISO and small amounts of hp? Something trivial enough that you aren't obligated go join a clan but helpful enough to make it worth joining one. I really don't want to see clan wars and the like.

I EXPECT it to.be an attempt.at a format like the mobage games, such as thier marvel card game, where ppl as a clan attack a huge hp "boss" or "groups of bosses" and work together to get a high score. While in theory it would.t be horrible right away, I could easily see the nasty point of it. The point? 1 million hp boss does 1000 damage per a match or so. You basically lose your team by turn 8 if you are lucky. So you get 3 characters wiped and did only 8 turns of damage and now want to go again...wguess what you need now? Health packs. That's hiw stuff rolls downhill more.

So, while the alliances could be a nice little addition, much mire than "nice and little" probably will be bad. Open to New things, so I won't shoot it down without seeing what they do....but I am weary from basically every clan based game I've seen others play or tried myself.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agreeing with Jozier.

Need more information before raging about anything.

Who knows, the implementation could be the most awesome thing since sliced bread. icon_e_biggrin.gif To be honest, as I'm playing on steam, I would simply like to see the same sort of sharing feature implented as already exists on the phone app. Literally, if that is the only thing that happens and you can share between your alliance-mates, I will be very happy.

Cheers.
  • Tannen wrote:
    Agreeing with Jozier.

Need more information before raging about anything.

Who knows, the implementation could be the most awesome thing since sliced bread. icon_e_biggrin.gif To be honest, as I'm playing on steam, I would simply like to see the same sort of sharing feature implented as already exists on the phone app. Literally, if that is the only thing that happens and you can share between your alliance-mates, I will be very happy.

Cheers.
    IceIX wrote:
    Gameplay
    - Victory Bonus! S.H.I.E.L.D. quartermasters are
    offering up to a 30 Iso bounty per battle an Agent
    completes victoriously in Versus Tournaments.
    o Each time an Agent skips a battle, this bonus is
    reduced by 10.
    o This bonus continues to reduce until it is -10 Iso
    per skip.
    o The bonus is Event-wide, not per node
    o The bonus resets every time a battle is completed
    (win or lose)

- Iso-8 has always had varying properties that have
    changed over time. Recently combat boosts using
    Iso-8 as their base have been used in combat both
    against and for H.A.M.M.E.R. New technology has
    allowed certain boosts to be concentrated,
    essentially allowing them to stack. All stacking
    boosts do so additively, so two 20% boosts will act
    as a 40% boost.
    - The nature of Iso-8 and its effects on combat
    have also reduced the efficiency at which some
    boosts are created by the S.H.I.E.L.D.
    quartermasters. As a result, some boosts have
    been ‘retired’ from active service. What this means
    in practice is that those boosts are still available for
    Agent use but no further boosts can be gained
    through either missions or purchase. Similar
    stackable Boosts are intended to be procured by
    the quartermasters to replace them.
    - Alliances are now available for S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents
    to join. The Alliance system is brand new and as of
    current is fairly basic in scope. S.H.I.E.L.D.
    technologists, as well as Bruce Banner and Tony
    Stark are working to expand this functionality as
    time moves on and the battle against H.A.M.M.E.R.
    becomes more heated.
    o Agents may create an Alliance for others to join
    o Agents may view the roster of any other Agents in
    their Alliance
    o An option to search for Alliances is available for
    Agents to browse currently open Alliances

- Bruce Banner’s research on the Gamma Bomb
    have paid off in an unexpected way. Using Iso-8 as
    its base, a new style of energy reactor has been
    created with Gamma Bomb technology. Anyone
    that is within range of these controlled
    environments when the reactor is active has found
    themselves able to alter the strength of their
    abilities, but at a cost to another one of their
    strengths. S.H.I.E.L.D. technologists have termed
    this phenomenon a “Power Shift”, although SHIELD
    Field Agents have taken to calling it a “Respec”
    o Power Shifting may only be done to a character
    that has 13/13 abilities
    o Using an ability comic (or paying the Hero Point
    cost) for the power desired, an Agent may choose
    to add a point to that power while reducing one of
    the other powers by one point.

UI
    - Affirmation screens have been added to Versus
    Shield and cover pack purchases
    - Agents viewing other Agent's rosters will now see
    all available heroes sorted by their level

Misc
    - If an Agent Versus name registration fails, the
    S.H.I.E.L.D. servers now suggest a valid name
    - Time is now handled by the S.H.I.E.L.D. server
    which should eliminate occurrences of Agents
    seeing some events end “early” due to their
    device’s system clock being set incorrectly

Android Only
    - Implemented Google+ Cloud Saving. This can be
    found in the Options menu.
    - Agents are now able to gain Achievements for in-game actions. This functionality is basic in form
    and will be built upon in further iterations of the
    software. S.H.I.E.L.D. is also looking into the
    feasibility of bringing this incentive system to other
    Agent platforms as well.
    - Fixed an issue preventing some devices from
    detecting taps in-game (most notably the Dell
    Venue 7)
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Uh... Sorry, but why did you quote my post and the entire initial announcement? Did I miss your reply somewhere in the quoted text, or are you agreeing with me?

Um. Anyway, as stated before and emphasized in IceIX's quote, currently there's no information other than extremely generalised fluff about making alliances. This is exactly the point that Jozier made: we don't have any information about what alliances actually "do", so there's no point raging about them.

Cheers.
  • I guess one thing that we can hope for in Alliances is the ability of members to share resources. ie. sending certain members ISO.
  • WiseG8 wrote:
    I guess one thing that we can hope for in Alliances is the ability of members to share resources. ie. sending certain members ISO.

Much more productive use of this thread here. What features do I want out of this?

1. Definitely ISO sharing sans Facebook, like WiseG8 said.
    2. Alliance chat in app (pipe dream for launch of the feature, but I'm just spitballing here).
    3. Trophy room for tournament wins/placements for all members of that alliance.
    4. An Alliance Danger Room (ala Shield Training) just for sparring with your team-mates. ISO and bragging rights.
    5. Team progression goals for tourneys.
    6. Weekly vs. villains PvE (2-3 days max, 5 nodes max) difficulty to scale to each individual alliance member.

Just some thoughts to prime the pump.
  • Alliance boosts as well and maybe alliance level ups members contributing isos or HP to an "alliance bank". I've played Ganges that have this feature where members pitch in to level up the guilds with in Game currencies, which get the guilds access to bonuses, buffs, items, etc.
  • WiseG8 wrote:
    I guess one thing that we can hope for in Alliances is the ability of members to share resources. ie. sending certain members ISO.

Much more productive use of this thread here. What features do I want out of this?

1. Definitely ISO sharing sans Facebook, like WiseG8 said.
    2. Alliance chat in app (pipe dream for launch of the feature, but I'm just spitballing here).
    3. Trophy room for tournament wins/placements for all members of that alliance.
    4. An Alliance Danger Room (ala Shield Training) just for sparring with your team-mates. ISO and bragging rights.
    5. Team progression goals for tourneys.
    6. Weekly vs. villains PvE (2-3 days max, 5 nodes max) difficulty to scale to each individual alliance member.

Just some thoughts to prime the pump.

I mentioned #1 and #5 and those are positive hopes for the alliances. Team progress rewards...but no true team "tournements.". It should be a bonus to be in one, not a negative to not be in one.

#6 I've expressed worry about. If done right, as in not necessitating a team, then its fine. Or if the rewards are mediocre enough to not punish those not part of an alliance.

#4 sounds nifty..I like it.

#2 simply won't happen, you are right lol. If ppl care enough, there are separate apps they can use though for that. I hope that isn't something necessary beyond just casual talking and what not though.

#3 interesting, but overall somewhat pointless. If it was done, I suspect it would be via looking at a player's roster and unrelated to the alliance group.

10000000000000% don't want anything like an alliance boost. Alliance ISO boost? 5-10%? Sure whatever. Alliance affecting anything IN a match? Hell no.

Also they should definently NOT allow sending ISO to others for the same reasons there shouldn't be trading. Just asking for alt accounts, rwt, and 10x more cheaters.