*** Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) ***

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    MightyBP wrote:
    Does anyone know when 3* Strange will be available in Heroic/Elite/Standard tokens? I've been stockpiling, and am just curious as to when I can try for some more covers.
    my guess is around the beginning of next season - in about a week or so. that is usually when the previous season's releases get put into tokens.
  • I'm really content with this character since I haven't seen many new 3*s as soon as I started playing. The amount of 5*s were pretty much doubled and a whole bunch of 4*s were added. Good to see that we get a 3* that is actually REALLY nice to use. I've got 2 purple covers so far and look forward to recruiting him.

blueflag.png power is a nice support move that stuns and destroys AP selectively. The only drawback is that it's a countdown tile, but then again, it deals some nice damage when fully powered.

purpleflag.png power is like Daredevil's purple power;

Pros of Doctor Strange's purple power:
    Regenerates 3-4 AP
    Can also destroys invisibility/trap tiles

Pros of Daredevil's purple power:
    Costs less AP (well, only 1, but still, and you regenerate it anyway as Doctor Strange)
    Deals damage for every tile destroyed
    Can destroy 3-5 tiles instead of being stuck with just 2 (which nicely stacks up with the damage for every tile)

yellowflag.png power is amazing in PvE without playable characters. They're just throwing out these countdown tiles while you destroy them with your passive and even heal up your team if necessary. Even great outside of PvE though.
  • Hoho69
    Hoho69 Posts: 48
    Noticed at 5 his purple power only removes one enemy tile. Hey D3 someone fix. this. should be 2
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    blueflag.png power is a nice support move that stuns and destroys AP selectively. The only drawback is that it's a countdown tile, but then again, it deals some nice damage when fully powered.

I don't mind countdowns when you're able to place them. They survive a lot more often.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu wrote:

I don't mind countdowns when you're able to place them. They survive a lot more often.

This being selective AP destruction is really nice, too. It can really pull your backside out of the fire when someone is about to get off a big move. Stunning them *and* taking their AP away is great.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Him, new Luke cage, and new star lord make a pretty interesting combination.

Every time an enemy fires a power, they get chunked for some damage, do less damage next time, and make your abilities cheaper
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip wrote:
    I really hope I can get him champed before the next gauntlet run since he'll do wonders against that Prof X, IW Howard team. That one hurt last time because I didn't (and still don't) have War Machine in a usable state and invariably someone got invisible on me long enough to be a bother. Outside of that I can't imagine running him with more than 3 in purple.
    For team invisible, get your Teen Jean up if you can. Her purple kills almost any enemy special tile, including countdown and invisible. Yeah, she's almost as hard to build as War Machine, but her direct AOE is easier to use. And seriously, that purple is so powerful.
  • Dormammu wrote:

That's true, which is why I enjoy using Cpt. America 3*. He can also place them on enemy tiles and IF they go it's not that big of a deal. Dr. Strange makes it surviving more important but thankfully it's more likely to survive.
  • Superchow
    Superchow Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Does anyone else have issues with blueflag.png where enemy ap doesn't drain? It's happen a few times now and not sure what might be the trigger.

Also an enemy fired about 3 powers one after the other but I think yellowflag.png triggered only once. I'll need to keep an eye on this to see if it append again.

Otherwise he is pretty awesome. I've maxed him and clearing nodes super quick
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Superchow wrote:
    Also an enemy fired about 3 powers one after the other but I think yellowflag.png triggered only once. I'll need to keep an eye on this to see if it append again.
    I can't speak to the blue power, but for the yellow...

I've not used him outside of required nodes so far, but his yellow will only display the full animation one time. Pay attention to the opponent's health - your power is triggering multiple times, but it's not showing the full animation every time. It does show the banner each time still, though.

Star-Lord does the same thing now as another ready example.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    But, if you run Strange and Starlord together, then both animations will run every time an enemy fires a power.

Every. Single. Time.

Which is too bad, since they're a natural fit for each other against goons for those of us starting the 4* transition (esp. since both have been boosted), but watching the two fire all the time is mind-numbing...
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually the Purple AP return makes the ability active all the time.. meaning that if there are no special tiles out, he can still use his purple to gain purple AP back whereas someone like Daredevil cannot use his purple if there are no special tiles to remove.
    I didn't see anyone correct this. Strange cannot use his purple with no enemy special tiles on the board. I tried this during his pvp to trigger OML red, but it just doesn't work.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Does anyone have stats for a max champed strange yet?
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just champed Strange yesterday.

5/3/5 is optimal as the purple doesn't do damage and only goes after 2 special tiles that aren't CDs.

That blue is just awesome. 3-turn stun, destroys 3 AP each turn, does good damage each turn, AND TARGETABLE? Yeah. It's the bomb. Team him with a strike tile user and it's almost unfair.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cant wait to get him teamed with Blade and Fist for the easier nodes in PVE.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoho69 wrote:
    Noticed at 5 his purple power only removes one enemy tile. Hey D3 someone fix. this. should be 2

I've noticed this as well. The text says 'up to 2' not sure what decides if 0, 1, or 2 are removed, but from my limited experience with a champed with 5 purple it's only ever removes 1 for me, even where there were like 8 on the board.
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I've got him only at 1/3/2 currently, but running him with a championed 3*blade and 3*iron fist is what I like to call "the meat grinder" in PVE.
    getting blade's strike tiles to add to damage on every match, at the end of turn, And whenever an enemy fires a power gets me wins before getting enough AP to even use active powers, half the time.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    After SHIELD Sim this season, my Doc is at 2/5/2.

I'm looking forward to my first pull from a token being another purple.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Got the last three covers I needed to champion him from the Simulator yesterday. Just need to get some ISO and I'm there.

I've heard a couple mention that they're running him with Blade and Fist. While that combo leaves too many uncovered colors for me to be comfortable with, I've been running Strange with Blade and Thor for great effect. That combo cuts through goon nodes like butter.

This is the first three star release since I started playing and equally importantly, the first time I was really able to take advantage of the release (the four star releases don't do me a lot of good yet). I may be in the majority, but this has been the best release for me since I started playing the game. Even a month after the release, I love this character.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roland113 wrote:
    I've heard a couple mention that they're running him with Blade and Fist. While that combo leaves too many uncovered colors for me to be comfortable with, I've been running Strange with Blade and Thor for great effect. That combo cuts through goon nodes like butter.

I've been running Daken and Fist with Strang3...and the goon nodes end so fast it makes your head spin.