**** The Hulk (Totally Awesome) ****

Comments

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Changing his blueflag.png power to a passive one (where the countdown tile would place it self like Switch's) would make this character more tolerable.

That is a fantastic and easily implementable change!

I think that's what makes Cho so frustrating for me... such little tweaks to each move and he could actually be quite good.
    I'd even be fine with blue the way it is if they just removed the #-of-tiles condition on Hot Dog Stand.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Changing his blueflag.png power to a passive one (where the countdown tile would place it self like Switch's) would make this character more tolerable.

That is a fantastic and easily implementable change!

I think that's what makes Cho so frustrating for me... such little tweaks to each move and he could actually be quite good.
    I'd even be fine with blue the way it is if they just removed the #-of-tiles condition on Hot Dog Stand.

There was a post in General about worst abilities from earlier in the year, where I suggested a "fix" for his Black. As follows:
    From the list provided, I think it has to be Hot Dog Stand. It's the only ability that I can think of which has two "anti-spam" measures in place - stuns the user after casting and can only be cast with <7 blue tiles but adds blue tiles to the board. To me, that's indicative of poor design. There are plenty of other "bad" (or at least "suboptimal") abilities on that list, but they could all be "fixed" with a tweak to cost or power. Hot Dog Stand is a hot mess of unconnected effects and inadequate theming.

So here's how I'd fix it.
    There are a few things to consider; appropriate character theming, the ability's effect, and the colour traits.

The character of Totally Awesome Hulk is really quite new, I'm not reading his comic, so my understanding of the character is based on the few panels I can find via a Google search - plus his representation in MPQ. To me, he seems almost a little arrogant - he's smart and he ~knows~ he's smart, and being able to Hulk-out but retain his consciousness only kind of feeds that ego.
    Cho two other moves are a Green ability which gains power based on Blue AP in reserve and a Blue ability which generates Green AP and charges Blue tiles. There's some great synergy there between his brawn (green) and his brains (blue), but then the black ability feels kind of tacked on.

I think keeping the ability in Black offers a great opportunity to represent that ego. Hot Dog Stand returns health - because that's what Hot Dogs do, of course - but the idea behind the ability isn't that Cho needs to eat to recover, bur rather he's so confident in his ability to win that he'll stop fighting to have a snack. So we keep the health gain, but I'm going to change the way the "drawback" is manifest and limitations.

blackflag.pngHot Dog Stand - 5 blacktile.png AP
    Cho empties the stock of a nearby food vendor. Hulk is healed for 77 for each Blue tile on the board, then converts 3 Blue tiles to Black and ends the turn.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Hulk heals himself for 90 health per Blue tile.
    Level 3: Hulk heals himself for 103 health per Blue tile.
    Level 4: Hulk heals himself for 129 health per Blue tile.
    Level 5: Hulk heals himself for 181 health per Blue tile.
    Max Level
    Level 3: 204 health per Blue tile
    Level 4: 255 health per Blue tile
    Level 5: 358 health per Blue tile

I removed the stun, but this ability ends the turn. This will leave Cho on the receiving end of whatever the enemy is about to dish out. I think this adds a really neat strategic option to this ability as it lets you position your tank out front.
    I changed the heal to a per tile basis (the numbers I have provided come from dividing the old values by 6 - since the limitation was "less than 7") bur removed the limitation. So this means you could potentially just keep casting HDS each turn, however the ability also reduces the number of blue tiles in play. In this way, by giving into his ego, Cho starts to impact his other abilities.

I think these changes make the ability somewhat more usable than its current incarnation, while still keeping some limitation on its use.

This would give the 4* tier a "true" tank. At 5 AP, you should almost always be able to cast HDS when you want to put Chulk out in front to soak a hit. The nature of a black ability (powerful, but with a drawback) means that he heals first and then takes the hit, so he's more likely going to need to cast it again in order to regain that health, but spamming HDS comes with diminishing returns. Making the ability end the turn is also another two-edged sword. It can be a very tactical option to not move any tiles, but it means you're probably not gaining AP yourself.

I think both Green and Blue probably still need to be revisited as well, but if he had this ability, I'd roster him in a heartbeat.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    For his Green power, I'd think you either have to make it destroy tiles (lets say 2x 3x3 blocks at lvl 5, similar to Hood's Twin Pistol, to reflect him hitting with two fists), or do a "Hit enemy team" attack, since he only has 1x attack power. But then his attack becomes exactly like Red Hulk (i.e. just a copy).
  • Marc_Spector
    Mawtful wrote:
    I think keeping the ability in Black offers a great opportunity to represent that ego. Hot Dog Stand returns health - because that's what Hot Dogs do, of course - but the idea behind the ability isn't that Cho needs to eat to recover, bur rather he's so confident in his ability to win that he'll stop fighting to have a snack.
    SNIP
    I think both Green and Blue probably still need to be revisited as well, but if he had this ability, I'd roster him in a heartbeat.

Mawtful, that is an impressive / fantastic / not-game-breaking reworking of his black! Well done. And VERY in-keeping with his characterization in the new comic -- which I'm enjoying so much that it's made Cho's awful state in this game even more frustrating for me than it already was.

Devs, PLEASE fix the Embarrassingly Underwhelming Hulk sometime soon. He wouldn't even require a "back to the drawing board" approach; just some simple tweaks akin to what Mawtful wrote above (and/or, I'm sure, other good suggestions throughout this thread.)
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Agreed, and that synergy: Brawn (Green), Intellect (Blue) and Ego (Black) is in keeping with a human who is on par with Reed Richards for pure intellect. The ego on black represents his youth; all book smarts, no street smarts. Nicely done.
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    From what my alliance says, my own experience, and now this forum....perhaps we need a Cho support group? It really is the biggest let down in the game to open an LT and get Cho. I mean it's bad enough when you pull Sue, Reed, or Quill....but wishing you could trade your LT for a 3* is pretty weak....
  • Marc_Spector
    From what my alliance says, my own experience, and now this forum....perhaps we need a Cho support group? It really is the biggest let down in the game to open an LT and get Cho. I mean it's bad enough when you pull Sue, Reed, or Quill....but wishing you could trade your LT for a 3* is pretty weak....

Agreed wholeheartedly.

One might even say of Amadeus' skillset........

"he Cho's....... poorly."

knight.jpg
  • #stopbullyingcho2016
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    #stopbullyingcho2016

#willhappensecondsafterheisntcompleterubbish2016
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    He looks SO GOOD NOW

I like his style
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I have to say this update makes him look very usable now. I might have to put some iso into him.
  • Marc_Spector
    Blahahah wrote:
    He looks SO GOOD NOW

Agreed!!! icon_eek.gif I never thought I'd see the day. Wow.
    I can't wait to get a few more covers and champ mine ASAP.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    #stopbullyingcho2016

#yourmove2016

Also, Hot Dog Stand into Smite seems like a thing.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Six blue or green chargies (assuming I'm remembering right) and a SWitch type CD which fuels more green.

If Bruce Banner can pair with him, then Hulking out has never looked so good.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    #stopbullyingcho2016

#yourmove2016

Also, Hot Dog Stand into Smite seems like a thing.

We will have to wait and see how it actually works in practice, but he could be a useful support character with these changes and definitely isn't a complete joke now.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    Looking good, despite the green not changing much. I look forward to trying Chulk + 4Thor + IM40.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking good, despite the green not changing much. I look forward to trying Chulk + 4Thor + IM40.
    I look forward to running him with Rulk myself. Maybe Thor as the third...
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I look forward to running him with Rulk myself. Maybe Thor as the third...

Chulk, RHulk and Iceman....simply concentrate on blue, purple, green and ignore all other colors. Iceman can destroy red tiles/stun and RHulk can drain green from opposing team should help slow down most damaging abilities which are usually found in red and green powers. Basically Iceman with two AP batteries, no yellow user but really not needed. Even if Iceman dies, RHulk will be able to still use all that green AP to great effect too. Also if levels are kept equal, both Hulks can completely tank for Iceman.
  • Skunktrain
    Skunktrain Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    He'll probably play well with Kingpin. What with the free CDs to destroy.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I have been using Cho in the Balance of Power event and am pleased with his performance. Since he is super low level he gets his health back super fast in the event which is a great perk. For the first time ever I am wishing I had more Cho covers!

Team:
    icon_redhulk.pngredflag.png 4 greenflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 2
    icon_hulkcho.pnggreenflag.png 4 blueflag.png 4 blackflag.png 2
    icon_ironman.png (5 star.png ) redflag.png 1 blueflag.png 3 yellowflag.png 2

The fact that both hulks are team Iron man is nice and the amount of damage and board mix up from Mastermind into Girl FRIDAY is great. I just wish I had more Rulks to unlock the true destructive power.

Other interesting note:

At level 550 RULK has 2 more HP than Cho (151874 versus 151872). Found that odd.