Gift to friends idea! Please read!

Options
2»

Comments

• Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If we had a gift to friends idea where we can throw 3-star and 4-star covers at low- to mid-tier players, what incentive do they have to pay money?

What incentive do people have to pay money in League of Legends?

Honestly, if they took out every other real money pay option and added cheap Iso-earned boosts and added the ability to pay to make your characters sparkle, they'd probably fine.

I'd be fine giving more money to this game than I have but A) I'd feel bad if I bought anything that directly helped my team improve B) I don't like that others can pay money to directly help their teams improve and C) a lot of their pay options are anti-fun.

Give people something good and fun and they'll want to support it.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think part of that issue could be mitigated by requiring trades to be of equal value & having a tax of Iso or HP on both sides of the trade. The tax could even be variable based on the star level. Wanna trade your Modern Storm for my Ironman Model 35? 250 Iso. Wanna trade X-Factor Wolverine for an Invisible Woman? 200 HP & 500 Iso. I'm sure a formula could make those numbers make more sense, but you get the idea. The tax would help to prevent it from being abused.
    New players wouldn't be able to skip ahead because they wouldn't have an equal cover to trade. Especially since you can only hold covers for a few days before using or selling them, it's not like people will have huge stockpiles they are trading, (except those guys who win this No Holds Barred Elite Event).
  • An ebay style auction system would be cool too. There would be a reserve price and a time limit, after which the seller gets it back. People with excess iso or hp, depending on what the seller wants, can be guaranteed to find a certain cover, but they would have to compete with others who want it. People who want to respec nerfed guys could use this to build another from scratch. It still costs you stuff like tokens do but it would take less time to find what you're looking for.
  • turbo wrote:
    nah, it would be an incentive to make 50 accounts and never spend money.

This. I would do this.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    Typhon13 wrote:
    An ebay style auction system would be cool too. There would be a reserve price and a time limit, after which the seller gets it back. People with excess iso or hp, depending on what the seller wants, can be guaranteed to find a certain cover, but they would have to compete with others who want it. People who want to respec nerfed guys could use this to build another from scratch. It still costs you stuff like tokens do but it would take less time to find what you're looking for.

The problem with an eBay style action is that it would simply devolve into people buying the characters they want rather than earning them. Trading would still indicate some effort towards the goal of a particular character, but a series of unlucky draws.
  • Trading a 3* for another 3* would be the same as re-rolling your 3* card until you like what you get. The more I think about it, the worse it gets. I may have just gotten a purple spidey when I wanted a blue. I just keep re-rolling until I get what I want. No need to win tourneys anymore, just wait until you get your free token and get EXACTLY what you wanted, no questions asked. Where's the randomness of it? The reason ppl play is to collect covers to outfit their heros/villains in. Take this away, and everyone will max out everything real fast. Anyone hate seeing a 5 blue spidey? Prepare to see a lot more of him.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    I was also suggesting a fee for such trades & you could only trade with people who currently had an active trade that they also wanted to trade. Sure a straight trade would be abused till people got the cards they wanted, but if you have to pay as much as you would just to buy another cover & give up an equal valued cover to boot! Yeah, when I say it out loud (or type it down...) it just sounds like a way for players who are whiling to pay get another advantage.