Ob Nixilis deck

Cannot make anything syregistic/unique. Just using high value cards. My deck is too similar to my Lilliana deck:(

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    The problem with ob nixilis is that you cannot build anything that is unique to him.
    The first skill is draw cards. There is no effect for black that gets benefit from it.
    Second skill is kill a creature. Good but nothing new for black.
    Third skill has sinergy with first and cards draws in general. But building a deck around it makes no sense.

The only thing that he could be good at would be spamming low cost efficient stuff to get full benefit from the cheap card draw.
    This would be a valid strategy for a zoo like deck but it is not possible in this game cause of the 3 creature slot limit.
  • VladG0015
    VladG0015 Posts: 48
    So far the most amount of fun I'm having is with Ob Nixilis. In my opinion he's the best one. Also, the only one worth the price.

So here's the deck im using:

Reave Soul
    Blighted Fen
    Kothophed
    Sword of the Animist
    Malakir Cullblade
    Bonded construct
    Evolving Wilds
    Painful Truths
    Scour from Existence
    Infernal scaring

The idea is play off of his last ability (which belive it or not I get to activate it almost every game, sometimes effortlessly).
    Reave and Scour are my main kill spells.
    Blighted Fen is acually quite useful, since a good number of times the AI would compulsively break it killing his own fatty.
    You can chastise me for the sword all you want but its in every one of my deck for the soll fact that it creates cascades / keeps rhe board "shuffled"
    Construct is a cheap and a reliable creature thats quite easy to reinforce with so much card draw.
    And Kotho is just loads of fun.
  • zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    My Ob Nixilis deck focuses on Necromantic Summons. Most people have a couple of inferior creatures in thier decks. Just return a enter the battlefield effect and your golden. Also a plethora of kill spells doesn't hurt either.
  • mixed bag
    mixed bag Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    The way my deck is set up is to abuse his 3rd ability - Forbidden Knowledge. Then you can use his 1st ability.

Creatures

1. Kothophed, Soul Hoarder - good body and draws a card when a creature dies.

Spells

2. Unholy Hunger - Destroy target creature
    3. Grip of Desolation - Destroy target creature
    4. Scour from Existence - Destroy target creature
    5. Painful Truths - Card draw and burn
    6. Evolving Wilds - Mana ramp

Supports

7. Demonic Pact - Card draw, opponent card denial and burn.
    8. Sunken Hollow - Mana ramp
    9. Smoldering Marsh - Mana ramp
    10. Shivan Reef - Mana ramp

I use the supports and Evolving Wilds to mana ramp. When I have Forbidden Knowledge on the board, having the other supports on the board stops the AI from destroying it as they cannot individually target particular supports. By that time, I hope to have Kothophed out and then I just pick off the AI creatures with the three destroy creature spells. This uses Kothopheds ability along with Forbidden Knowledge. Demonic Pact (whilst volatile) and Painfull Truths provide additional damage with Forbidden Knowledge.

The day they allow targeting to destroy a particular support, this deck will be horrible.
  • mixed bag
    mixed bag Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    mixed bag wrote:
    The way my deck is set up is to abuse his 3rd ability - Forbidden Knowledge. Then you can use his 1st ability.

Creatures

1. Kothophed, Soul Hoarder - good body and draws a card when a creature dies.

Spells

2. Unholy Hunger - Destroy target creature
    3. Grip of Desolation - Destroy target creature
    4. Scour from Existence - Destroy target creature
    5. Painful Truths - Card draw and burn
    6. Evolving Wilds - Mana ramp

Supports

7. Demonic Pact - Card draw, opponent card denial and burn.
    8. Sunken Hollow - Mana ramp
    9. Smoldering Marsh - Mana ramp
    10. Shivan Reef - Mana ramp

I use the supports and Evolving Wilds to mana ramp. When I have Forbidden Knowledge on the board, having the other supports on the board stops the AI from destroying it as they cannot individually target particular supports. By that time, I hope to have Kothophed out and then I just pick off the AI creatures with the three destroy creature spells. This uses Kothopheds ability along with Forbidden Knowledge. Demonic Pact (whilst volatile) and Painfull Truths provide additional damage with Forbidden Knowledge.

The day they allow targeting to destroy a particular support, this deck will be horrible.

Since this post, I came up with replacing Evolving Wilds with Read the bones. Once Forbidden Knowledge is on the board. 4 mana for 16 damage is insanely good.

I also took out Demonic Pact. Understandably it is very effective for what it does but for a high mana cost. Plus it does have a major downside if it is destroyed.
    I decided to replace it with Orbs of Warding. It slows down your opponents damage as well as nullifying any damage from Read the Bones, Kothophed's ability, or Ob's 1st ability.

Noticeably now, there is not one mythic in the deck, which will give others a chance replicate a similar version if not already done so. I haven't played much with this new modification to know if this was a deck improvement.
  • EldrosKandar
    EldrosKandar Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I've been using an Ally/Lifegain with my low-level Ob Nixilis in Story Mode, as his first two abilities use life as a cost. I'm having quite some fun with it.
  • VladG0015
    mixed bag wrote:

I also took out Demonic Pact. Understandably it is very effective for what it does but for a high mana cost. Plus it does have a major downside if it is destroyed.
    I decided to replace it with Orbs of Warding. It slows down your opponents damage as well as nullifying any damage from Read the Bones, Kothophed's ability, or Ob's 1st ability.

That is a Genius idea! I didn't even think of that. It could've made the gameplay with mid to low lvl Obby easier.
  • Upstartes
    Upstartes Posts: 98
    Ob Nixilis is a little different than other PWs, in that (as mentioned) you can't really build a deck that has direct synergy with what Ob does. However, I have settled on a particular type of deck that I think does, perhaps in a subtle way, complement Ob's abilities.

First, I feel that the best way to use Ob is to move as fast as possible to his 3rd ability. Once that is in play, it's possible to end games very quickly using Ob's 1st ability and also card-drawing spells. In essence, Ob's 3rd ability serves the same purpose as high-cost, heavy-hitting cards in other decks. Given this fact, I don't think an Ob deck needs any high-cost cards.

The cards in my Ob deck are designed to do two things: 1) get creatures out there quickly to deal as much damage as possible in the early game, and 2) Destroy enemy creatures without using Ob's second ability so that you can save your loyalty for the 3rd ability. I also have one other key card: Read the Bones. This card is there almost exclusively to do extra damage after you activate Ob's 3rd ability.

My current deck looks like this:

Bonded Construct
    Geyserfield Stalker
    Hagra Sharpshooter
    Fleshbag Marauder
    Blazing Hellhound
    Despoiler of Souls

Read the Bones
    Unholy Hunger
    Brawler's Plate
    Grip of Desolation

This deck has been working very well for me. The creatures are selected mostly for being cheap but cost-efficient. Geyserfield Stalker is my least favorite of the bunch, but I didn't want to put in anything more expensive. Despoiler of Souls has a lot of synergy with Fleshbag Marauder and Brawler's plate. Bonded Construct is great for Fleshbag Marauder as well, and also for just keeping in your hand to store 3 mana to revive the Despoiler.

Usually things go according to plan. If they don't, it is possible to fall back on Ob's 2nd ability to recover. If you get an awful hand, Read the Bones or Ob's 1st ability can help kick-start things. All-in-all the deck is very resilient, fast, and most of the time wins games without losing more than 5 - 10 life (great for grinding Quick Battles).

There are probably some better cards that I don't own yet, but the key point is that the cards in the deck should, as much as possible, cost 10 or less. The two more expensive cards (Despoiler and Grip of Desolation) are worth it, but they skirt the line on being too expensive for how I want the deck to operate.
  • I'm a little surprised to see remarks about a lack of synergy here, I've found my Ob Nix deck to be loads of synergistic fun. As others have mentioned, Forbidden Knowledge is a big part of Ob Nix's strategy, doing obscene amounts of direct damage for each card drawn- by anyone. So here's the build I've put together.

Creatures

> Graveblade Mauler - Good anti-creature beater that rewards you (with extra damage) for keeping your opponent's population in check
    > Kothophed, Soul Hoarder - 6 power in the air is hard for most decks to interact with, and once you have Forbidden Knowledge up, the extra card draw (for 8 more damage to the opponent) is superb
    > Malakir Cullblade - One of the most consistent cards in the deck, I'll drop this guy first every time I see him in my opening grip. I spend a lot of time trimming back the weeds of my opponent's army, not at all uncommon to see the Cullblade grow to monstrous size
    > Despoiler of Souls - Consider this a 'free slot'. THe card is good, but it doesn't work with my overall strategy. Placeholder until something better comes along.

Removal

> Unholy Hunger - The go-to kill spell
    > Demon's Grasp - Don't love it, but it does the job
    > Painful Truths - A bomb of a card. I save these for when Forbidden Knowledge is up. A Converge of 4 means that you'll be doing 12 damage to a creature, drawing 4 cards, and blasting your opponent for 32. Easily worth the higher mana cost.

Other

> Sunken Hollow - mana fixing
    > Sword of the Animist - The boost is nice, but the occasional cascade and keeping the board moving is even better
    > Read the Bones - Look at this as four mana for two cards...and 16 damage to your opponent. Brutal.

Strategy

The ideal sequence is:

1. Run out an early Cullblade, plus any other creatures
    2. Use removal and the Marauder to keep your opponent's creatures in check, growing the Cullblade.
    3. Make a beeline for Forbidden Knowledge. Take advantage of the abundant removal rather than using Torment until then.
    4. Once FK is up, reap a bitter harvest for your opponent by using Dark Pact, Read the Bones, Painful Truths, and Kothphed to draw cards.
    5. Never, ever let your hand get full. Throw away cards to stay at 5 (or often less)

And you'll draw loads. It's rare for me not to have to throw away lots of cards over the course of a game just to make sure I have room for my card drawing to trigger. All this comes together really well in this list, with interactions between cards and Ob Nix's abilities making the build a delight to play. I, too, sorta thought he might be redundant with my maxed-out Lili, but having loads more fun with this guy.

Good luck!
  • silenze14
    silenze14 Posts: 1
    Synergy with the pw is what I went for mostly in this deck. The deck runs only one creature and mostly supports. Most of the supports are there for mana ramp-up and working with Blightcaster for board removal. The remainder of the spells are purely for board control presence. Point of the deck is to get the Ignite support out as quick as possible while controlling what can touch you and what dies. There is a lot of holding onto board clearing later in the matches, so you can throw them away when you are trying to put more damage into your opponent via Dark pact. Give it a go and hope it is as successful for you as it was for me icon_e_smile.gif

Creatures:
    Despoiler of Souls (R)

Spells:
    Languish (R)
    Grip of Desolation (U)
    Scour from Desolation (C)

Supports:
    Sunken Hollow (R)
    Smoldering Marsh (R)
    Pathway Arrows (U)
    Mage-Ring Network (U)
    Blightcaster (U)
    Llanowar Wastes (C)
  • VladG0015
    Here's my most successful combo:

Creatures:
    *Despoiler of Souls
    *Fathom Feeder
    *Mind Raker

Spells:
    -Transgress the Mind
    -Complete disregard
    -Bone Splinters
    -Scour from Existence

Supports:
    •Infernal Scaring
    •Shadows of the Past
    •Alhammarret's Archive

Try it and have fun icon_e_smile.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please continue discussion in the Official Thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47952
This discussion has been closed.