**** Quake (Daisy Johnson) ****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    She looks quite good, a strong green that is one AP less than equivalent green powers, a yellow that can nullify A LOT of chars, and an ability that will help negate colors for some powerful chars. I think she is Nova level good so top 5-10, she is a char you wouldnt want to use always, but very useful for some situations.

She is really the anti-jean (and If played by the AI anti-rhulk too), imagine having to fight Quake in Jeans DDQ4 icon_razz.gif Interestingly she is her own anti, playing her against herself negates both icon_razz.gif

PS: Exactly as Nova, her utility is just less because she comes out now that there are A LOT of 4s and we can't buy covers anymore (paying 120 CPs is not reasonable). So just super whales will have her maxed in the next couple of months. We probably need a LT for new 4s too icon_razz.gif
    PS: Nice that after chulk we have got some chars like Nova, Gwen and now Quake that are useful!
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Im40 Recharge > Xpool Pink > Quake Blue > Quake Blue again > Quake Green

2 yellow matches, 2 pink, 1 blue, 1 green.

On paper this should lead to lots of cascades and AP generation. I can't wait to try this team in pve. In 6 months or so lol.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    One of the things i like about her design, and I REALLY REALLY hope it's a trend that continues, is that she is semi-useful even with just one cover in a given color.
    1 cover green - you get the board shuffle.
    1 cover yellow - ok this doesn't do much.
    1 cover blue - destroy any special tile. Why do I think the dev's will make this the hardest cover to get in her launch PVE (random my tinykitty)

She won't be remotely useful in PVP until she's got at least 10 covers (which at the rate I progress will take about 12-18 months minimum), but at least she could be used in niche situations from time to time with fewer covers. Given the glacial pace at which 4* covers can be earned by people in the 3* -> 4* transition, at least I can take some solace in that.

I am hoping the designers are taking a cue from what they are learning with the 5* and will make 4* generally more useful/effective with less covers going forward.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Of all the ways we tried to anticipate what power could counter all AOE attacks, I don't think any of us would have come up with "hacks communications, gathers intelligence".

What's next? A 5* Deadpool who's purple power is explaining to a character their convoluted continuity since the 60's and so they get stunned for 9 rounds?

But seriously, Daisy looks pretty great. The limit of 8 color tiles destroyed by her blue feels about right. The more I thought about that, the more I worried that it might be overpowered at just 7ap. If I ever get her to champion level, I would probably switch back and forth on 5/5/3 and 5/3/5, depending on the situation.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey Cthulu,

To clarify, Resonance Frequency does not guarantee that the selected tile will be destroyed, right? (Unless there are only that many tiles of it's color left, naturally). That's the way it reads, anyways.

Can we select Team-Up tiles? Sometimes they count as a color (She-Hulk) and sometimes not.

Thanks.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    She looks like an excellent counter character. For late comers to MPQ and current 3->4* transitioning players she is excellent. While the rest of us are running around with JG/Iceman/Rulk the newcomers can at least bring a tool to nullify what the vets have.

Great design choice by devs and yet another example of counter characters providing a solution instead of nerfing the existing characters. Bravo.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Hey Cthulu,

To clarify, Resonance Frequency does not guarantee that the selected tile will be destroyed, right? (Unless there are only that many tiles of it's color left, naturally). That's the way it reads, anyways.

Can we select Team-Up tiles? Sometimes they count as a color (She-Hulk) and sometimes not.

Thanks.

I have been told you can select any special tile, the rest of that color after the one selected tile is random. Definitely from what I have played you can destroy countdowns, strike, attack and protect tile.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    So it works like Kamala's purple, then? Affects the one selected tile and X random others?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    This means combo with XFDP is dead, her blue is AP denial and her green is still good for AOE damage. Why do you keep limiting characters abilities to destroy CD tiles. She was looking like a great PVE character and now she is just and anti flame thrower. So sad to limit her so.
    He said "not just countdown tiles", which means that it can destroy countdowns.
    Thanks for clarifying that makes her much better to be able to destroy CD and makes her a much better pair with XFDP
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    She'll also turn X-Force/Magneto into an even better cascade machine, if anybody's still using that duo.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry if this was asked and answered, I'm lazy.

If Daisy is stunned, does her yellow still reduce damage?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry if this was asked and answered, I'm lazy.

If Daisy is stunned, does her yellow still reduce damage?

Can't think of anyone else's passives that work while they're stunned, so I would imaginaut.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    A question about the "shuffle" wording. Loki and CMags' abilities both refer to "swapping" tiles.

Is it confirmed that her ability will work like theirs and be able to generate matches, or is it going to be a complete board reshuffle like when you don't have any matches you can make and it randomizes the entire board, but never gives a match?

I scanned the thread and didn't see an answer.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    jobob wrote:
    A question about the "shuffle" wording. Loki and CMags' abilities both refer to "swapping" tiles.

Is it confirmed that her ability will work like theirs and be able to generate matches, or is it going to be a complete board reshuffle like when you don't have any matches you can make and it randomizes the entire board, but never gives a match?

It shuffles the board like in a "no-match" condition (no cascades for you!) - but then you can make the best match available.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I think most will want to go 5/3/5 at first and save the 553 for once they have Quake championed and can use that build when the situation calls for it.

My reasoning: Her blue can increase the potential of her green. If you can nearly/completely remove one color from the board, the shake has a better chance of setting you up for a match 4/5 if it doesn't immediately set you up after you cast the blue.

ETA: 5 blue might even be a decent team-up (damn you level 326 moonstone photon blast...)
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2016
    Her stats look good. Green does 1200/AP and has a nice bonus of the board shuffle. The passive is a great counter to 4* Jean, Iceman, and Rulk, three of the top 4*s. Blue's OK and it's cheap -- might be good against Green Goblin. 5/5/3.

Con: No real synergy between her own moves.

I'd put her just outside of the 4* top tier of Jean/Iceman/Rulk/Cyke/HB/PX. Somewhere around Deadpool and Kingpin.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    babinro wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    babinro wrote:
    Green:
    Amazing! Excellent AoE damage combined with a board shake that could generate AP all while costing less than Jean's green. I'd call this power creep but in the current meta this feels appropriate. The jump of damage at 5 covers makes this a must have maxed out skill.

Sadly, according to Cthuhlu, the board is reshuffled in the same ways as a no-match reshuffle, i.e. doesn't generate matches. I don't know if it's too late for it, but I'd ask of the devs to reconsider this, as the way it's right now, it's a drawback instead of a positive feature: if there is a good match on the board, you'll want to delay your casting of the power as you are not guaranteed to get it or a better one from the reshuffle.

Thanks for the info update!

This actually doesn't change my opinion on the skill at all. In my history of playing MPQ forced board reshuffles are actually pretty excellent! It's effectively another turn 1 board. Meaning that your chances of following up with match 4 or match 5 are pretty high. I have no idea if the math supports that in any way but I'm fine with a reshuffle that doesn't generate AP.

Mid-match reshuffles are generally even better than a turn 1 board, because you've probably got a substantial color imbalance, especially if you used her blue recently. That makes available match-4s or match-5s even more likely.

The only downside is that it can easily make multiple match-4s available, meaning that you're taking one, but giving one to the enemy as well.
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Quake is absurdly good. 5/3/5 hands down. Nothing is sub par on her. High damage ae nuke awesome with a bonus board shuffle. Flat damage reduction when enemy manages to fire off their scary skill. That blue is amazing. In Pve goons will be worthless, easily more effective then OBW. What about PvP? She shores up those **** games when the board is flooded with that one color you don't use or there is that one color the enemy just cant have, boom problem solved. As i type this she is basically a 4* Obw and Obw is probably the best 2*. Hell ya Diasy
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Blue is top 100 reward and Yellow top 11-20! Brilliant!
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    jobob wrote:

It shuffles the board like in a "no-match" condition (no cascades for you!) - but then you can make the best match available.

So like 2* Magneto's blue power it full. Instead of destroying the whole board though, it resets the existing tiles into a stable state>