Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    SolidQ wrote:
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Updated with the character reveal
    Add note for blue, what include destroy special tiles icon_e_wink.gif

No problem and done!
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    7 AP to destroy random tiles, including special tiles? That is frickin awesome!

The pessimist in me says that power is top 10 only.

Side note, I'm very happy they went with the Skye version, which is the only version I know. Yay one more Asian character!
  • Cthulhu
    Sorry, I misspoke about that original edit, you can select a special tile to destroy.
  • Cthulhu
    The others will be random of that color, but you can select one special tile.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    So, is it just me or she an excellent match for XDP?

Their colours are complementary, Quake's blue will (I think, based on that 'special tile' note) destroy his 'Countdown to What' tiles much like XFW (and unlike nerfed KP), and his black will help to discourage the opponent from taking her down first. And her green may almost be better than JG's purple.

Can we please get a dev clarification on whether her green activates the existing 'reshuffle' function used by the game when there are no more valid matches (which never leads to a new match/cascade), or whether her reshuffle has a chance of making matches and can, therefore, lead to extra AP/damage and potential cascasdes?

I think I'll be championing her asap, using Quake 5/3/5 with XDP and 5/5/3 otherwise.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Melevorn wrote:
    Can we please get a dev clarification on whether her green activates the existing 'reshuffle' function used by the game when there are no more valid matches (which never leads to a new match/cascade), or whether her reshuffle has a chance of making matches and can, therefore, lead to extra AP/damage and potential cascasdes?

Was just going to ask the same question. Hoping it is like Loki's purple that affects the whole board
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Cthulhu wrote:
    can you clarification it's include Countdown tiles or it's destroy any special tiles? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Cthulhu
    Melevorn wrote:

The reshuffle looks like it's the reshuffle for no more matches. I haven't had a match after the reshuffle every time I've used it.
    SolidQ wrote:
    Cthulhu wrote:
    can you clarification it's include Countdown tiles or it's destroy any special tiles? icon_rolleyes.gif

You can destroy any random tile, not just countdown tiles.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Melevorn wrote:

The reshuffle looks like it's the reshuffle for no more matches. I haven't had a match after the reshuffle every time I've used it.
    SolidQ wrote:
    Cthulhu wrote:
    You can destroy any random tile, not just countdown tiles.
    So she cannot make matches on board shuffle, and she cannot destroy CD tiles icon_cry.gif
    This means combo with XFDP is dead, her blue is AP denial and her green is still good for AOE damage. Why do you keep limiting characters abilities to destroy CD tiles. She was looking like a great PVE character and now she is just and anti flame thrower. So sad to limit her so.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    This one seems more likely to me, if it is Quake:

secretwarriors22.jpg
    I win!

What's my prize? One of each color cover?
  • I'm pretty sure he means everything including countdown tiles can be targeted. Bummer there isn't a cool animation with the screen shaking that moves all the tiles around
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    This means combo with XFDP is dead, her blue is AP denial and her green is still good for AOE damage. Why do you keep limiting characters abilities to destroy CD tiles. She was looking like a great PVE character and now she is just and anti flame thrower. So sad to limit her so.
    He said "not just countdown tiles", which means that it can destroy countdowns.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    This one seems more likely to me, if it is Quake:

secretwarriors22.jpg
    I win!

What's my prize? One of each color cover?

viewtopic.php?style=1&f=21&t=30757

Dibs.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2016
    Initial impressions from on paper stats:

Green:
    Amazing! Excellent AoE damage combined with a board shake that could generate AP all while costing less than Jean's green. I'd call this power creep but in the current meta this feels appropriate. The jump of damage at 5 covers makes this a must have maxed out skill.

Edit: Regarding the board shake being a shuffle that CAN'T generate AP. I don't actually consider this a downside. It's effectively mimicking your starting turn 1 board which is often pretty strong. You start a ton of matches with either a match 4, match 5 or a match 3 that drops into another match 3. Your chances of getting an AP advantage from Quakes green is still very high.

Yellow:
    Good. Love this passive as it brings something unique to the game! The numbers are surprisingly aggressive as well! This passive shuts down all relevant AoE damage from 3*'s and 4*'s except for Iceman and Rulk. Anyone whose played against Rulk knows that the AI will almost never save for max green so I'd say he's shut down completely too. That's huge for a passive that requires no conditional hoops to jump through. This passive isn't enough to remotely deter 5* AoE's but there's no reason it should be. The only reason I'm giving this a 'good' and not 'great' or 'amazing' is because it's a niche skill on a character that is otherwise designed to be universally played.

Blue:
    Below Average? This skill is tough to judge. In theory it cuts off a colour from your opponent while likely generating a bit of AP. There's good value here and it's in a low demand colour for a lot of teams. The cost of the skill seems pretty reasonable as well. I really like the design of this skill but I'm not convinced it's something people will deliberately collect AP to cast when they could just go for offense. This is a great little skill to cast if you stumble into 7 AP.

Initial Build:
    5/3/5 or 5/5/3.
    The choice is obvious when championed. 5 yellow vs AoE and 3 yellow otherwise. If you can't champion the character I'd probably rather have 5 yellow and use her as a counter character in PvE and possibly PvP.

Overall:
    Mid-High tier. Quake feels like top 10-15 material to me. She's a great counter character in PvE and should easily fit into a lot of teams as a 3rd. In PvP I doubt she'll have a major impact because she has only one offensive skill. It's hard to imagine wanting to run Quake over Jean Grey, Iceman or Rulk for AoE spenders. That doesn't make her worthless just outclassed in terms of offense. You could still use her offensively when she's buffed and the featured 3 star has some offensive support. She'll play perfectly for sustained play in a Black Panther PvP for example or as a 3rd in off season events that allow it.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    Green:
    Amazing! Excellent AoE damage combined with a board shake that could generate AP all while costing less than Jean's green. I'd call this power creep but in the current meta this feels appropriate. The jump of damage at 5 covers makes this a must have maxed out skill.

Sadly, according to Cthuhlu, the board is reshuffled in the same ways as a no-match reshuffle, i.e. doesn't generate matches. I don't know if it's too late for it, but I'd ask of the devs to reconsider this, as the way it's right now, it's a drawback instead of a positive feature: if there is a good match on the board, you'll want to delay your casting of the power as you are not guaranteed to get it or a better one from the reshuffle.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    In that sense I don't think green is an example of power creep. Jean's costs about the same (there aren't that many times when that 1 AP will make a difference) and has lower damage, but a more useful additional effect despite the special tiles being random. Iceman's has no additional effect, but can do up to twice as much damage with the right board (and with his purple, you can easily make the right board). Quake's green is on the stronger side, but not really above the current curve.

That yellow absorbing 3300 team damage, though. Yikes. With Iceman you can at least stun her first, but with Jean you're SOL.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    babinro wrote:
    Green:

Sadly, according to Cthuhlu, the board is reshuffled in the same ways as a no-match reshuffle, i.e. doesn't generate matches. I don't know if it's too late for it, but I'd ask of the devs to reconsider this, as the way it's right now, it's a drawback instead of a positive feature: if there is a good match on the board, you'll want to delay your casting of the power as you are not guaranteed to get it or a better one from the reshuffle.

Thanks for the info update!

This actually doesn't change my opinion on the skill at all. In my history of playing MPQ forced board reshuffles are actually pretty excellent! It's effectively another turn 1 board. Meaning that your chances of following up with match 4 or match 5 are pretty high. I have no idea if the math supports that in any way but I'm fine with a reshuffle that doesn't generate AP.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    I don't know what people are complaining about, She's got a strong AOE that isn't crazy expensive, a passive that either partially of completely nullifies a lot of other AOEs, a complete board shuffle that can give you some very juicy matches right from just ONE cover, and one of the few powers that still gels with XPool. Unless she's really squishy with HP, She looks very solid.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I don't know what people are complaining about, She's got a strong AOE that isn't crazy expensive, a passive that either partially of completely nullifies a lot of other AOEs, a complete board shuffle that can give you some very juicy matches right from just ONE cover, and one of the few powers that still gels with XPool. Unless she's really squishy with HP, She looks very solid.

Because you just can't make some people happy!