why only 10 card decks

Options
Killinstinct
Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Why not make a rule where a deck has a minimum from 10 and no max. So you can actually add a card when you level your pw. I really don't get it why they don't allow more cards in a deck

Comments

• I could be wrong with this but....

I think they do the 10 card deck deal to attempt to simulate a 60 card deck that has 40 cards with the max 4 copies of each card. The remaining 20 would be land.

Again, I could be all wrong about it. Just kinda the nearest I can figure.
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can i ask why you'd want more than 10 different cards in your deck?

Currently i'm still putting filler cards in my decks that immediately get binned due to a lack of value cards.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    I assume it's to protect players from the bad play of putting more than 10 cards in their deck. It's certainly legal to play with more than 60 in constructed magic, but it's usually not a good idea.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I assume it's to protect players from the bad play of putting more than 10 cards in their deck. It's certainly legal to play with more than 60 in constructed magic, but it's usually not a good idea.

I totally agree.
    The more cards you have in your deck, the harder it gets to reinforce your creatures. Also, with a fix maximum of different creatures you can have in play at a time it doesn't make sense to have too many of them in your deck.
    And if you have too many supports and spells in your hand it would happen to you a lot that you don't have any creature in play for a long time.

Jaces "talent of the telepath" is a strong card just because it's like you play with a deck of nine cards.
    The only deck I can think of with slightly more then 10 cards includes the rare colorless spell "helmet of gods" (I think that's the name). But it's possible to build a good deck with only 10 cards with this spell too.
  • Yea if it were up to me I'd have maybe 4 or 5 cards in my deck.

And that deck would be unstoppable.
  • All the same, with the ten card limit and unlimited instances of each card, there is not a lot of reason to tinker with a good deck, which in turn discourages one from trying to get new cards. It's very different from something like Hearthstone, where you have 30 cards to select, but no more than two of any card. There is a lot of scope for fiddling around with the balance, and therefore more scope for trying out new cards, and more interest in acquiring new cards. In MtGPQ, it is fairly easy to construct a killer deck that needs no improvement.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    The solution to that is to increase the minimum deck size - not the maximum.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options

What does that even mean?
  • Meto5000 wrote:

What does that even mean?
    Perhaps he meant to decrease minimum deck sice but that would be way too powerful.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    I was replying to Craigantlet. If decks have to have more than 10 cards, say a minimum of 15, it increases the incentive to get cards and tinker with decks, and makes it harder to perfect a deck. Leaving the minimum at 10, but increasing the maximum, as proposed by the OP doesn't do that.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    I was replying to Craigantlet. If decks have to have more than 10 cards, say a minimum of 15, it increases the incentive to get cards and tinker with decks, and makes it harder to perfect a deck. Leaving the minimum at 10, but increasing the maximum, as proposed by the OP doesn't do that.

If your goal is to water down the overall powerlevel of decks tthen increasing the deck size is a great way to do it. I already have 2-3 filler cards I'd rather not play in my 10 card decks so adding 5 more would really suck.
  • I was replying to Craigantlet. If decks have to have more than 10 cards, say a minimum of 15, it increases the incentive to get cards and tinker with decks, and makes it harder to perfect a deck. Leaving the minimum at 10, but increasing the maximum, as proposed by the OP doesn't do that.

I guess if everyone has a higher minimum deck sice then 10 this would make decks with cards like helmet of god very op.

Also that's for some PWs better to handle then for others.

Handmanagement would really become a pain because you would have to delete way more cards.