*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• I don't think Moonstone's ability counts as a 'match'. I used Lightning Storm and it hit my own trap and it says 'trap disarmed', and I'd assume Moonstone's ability would behave the same way if it merely crushed the tile.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    This is as intended. If tile transformation triggered traps, traps would be overpowered (for many powers, you have no control over where the tile transformation happens). If it didn't, but didn't transform the trap, you could use tile transformation powers where you selected the tile to transform to discover where traps are located. We also wanted things to be consistent with the general rule: the way to destroy a trap is to get rid of it with an ability.
  • I like it, and thematically speaking it makes sense. If someone else sets up something in that location they would have to disable the trap first.
  • Have use him in the event and he does look solid.
    One hit kill off Daken (Trigger his Red)

Definitely a great character to use if he's match with the right ones. (Have match him w/ Spidey and C.Storm in the event) Work perfectly since no one is using red ability.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    GEFPenst wrote:
    Another bit of info - Moonstone's purple doesn't move trap tile.
    Which is good, because it would violate hiding it from the opponent otherwise. "Well I guess I'm not matching *that*!"
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    That was my first thought of how to use him too. I will go test it out in prologue - oscorp. Getting excited for oscorp heroic mode! It sounds like the debs are going to give away lots of boosts and iso to make up for the leveling issues in thick as thieves and the boost price increase. icon_e_smile.gif
    Not lots, a few boosts, and practically no Iso, since there aren't enough points to reach the later progression rewards, and the levels all went to 230 after 1-2 plays.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    His Purple could be improved by stealing one of each, when his team matches the trap [at level 5].
    His Blue could be improved by stunning the current opponent when his team matches the trap [at least at level 5].
    His Red is already plenty strong (and possibly why his others have such underwhelming secondary effects).
  • I like that the developers try and give us unique characters that do different things but IMO guys like DD and Captain America need at least one direct attack, IMO. There are two many things that can go wrong when you are relying upon tile placement. Yes, it is nice when DD's red goes off - had it happen once last night and it was a "blast" but I just don't like powers I can't rely upon and have to hope for. The problem is with foes that can destroy sections or rows of tiles. At that point, your work just goes up in smoke. It would be better if the tile relocated automatically just like it does if you match it. But right now, as much as I love DD and CA, I just don't like to use them. I wish they had one reliable attack I could use - that's their biggest failing to me.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it, and thematically speaking it makes sense. If someone else sets up something in that location they would have to disable the trap first.

Well since the trap's hidden, how would they know where it is to disable it? =P
    This is as intended. If tile transformation triggered traps, traps would be overpowered (for many powers, you have no control over where the tile transformation happens). If it didn't, but didn't transform the trap, you could use tile transformation powers where you selected the tile to transform to discover where traps are located. We also wanted things to be consistent with the general rule: the way to destroy a trap is to get rid of it with an ability.

This does make a lot of sense...
    It's frustrating to see your trap just vanish, but I guess it would be kinda overpowered or predictable otherwise.
  • Give him one direct attack for fall back.
    Have tiles destroyed by foes that clear rows or sections relocate to another tile.

He needs to be more reliable, not based upon hoping something will happen that might not.
  • grifman wrote:
    Give him one direct attack for fall back.
    Have tiles destroyed by foes that clear rows or sections relocate to another tile.

He needs to be more reliable, not based upon hoping something will happen that might not.

At least he doesn't kill himself.
  • Personally, I would like to see his trap tiles be placed on random tiles when activated. For two reasons:

1) it makes them a more legitimate trap tile as you will not know where the trap ends up despite the color of the ability being activated.

2) He's blind! Not only color blind, but full on "I can't see a dang thing ever!" blind! Granted, he has his own way of detection, but still....

And the best part about this is that only red would need to see any type of number change. And to make it more easily to identify what trap is where, just change the crosshair color to match the ability. Tada! He becomes a fairly usable champ.
  • Moonstone's secondary "collapse" version of Gravity Warp can't be used on a friendly trap, because she sees it as a special and the selected target of the ability has to be a basic. It's next to impossible to confirm whether it triggers an enemy trap, since you'd need an enemy Daredevil and to know where the trap is, but I think it's very safe to assume it doesn't, since it's not a match action. The only quirk, really, is that blowing out a line from a 4-match counts, which some initially assumed it wouldn't.

Another very minor point: Payback Mission doesn't work on traps. Would usually hardly matter, but given the handful of people with a pronounced propensity for self-harm currently trying to wear down 230 Yelenas with no tank and no spank, someone might care.

With the Daken/**Wolv overwriting, I think the general safe assumption is that a trap is a special tile to the team using it, but a basic tile to the enemy team unless they trigger it. That being what they see, it's pretty consistent design. Pity he's useless.

Scaling aside, whoever decided this guy's showcase event should consist of goons, people who don't match red, and Daken, Daken everywhere needs to be taken outside and shot post-haste.
  • I like it, and thematically speaking it makes sense. If someone else sets up something in that location they would have to disable the trap first.

Well since the trap's hidden, how would they know where it is to disable it? =P

I think of the tiles on the board as parts of the battle field. So when Daken puts random strike tiles on the board in my mind he is randomly running around and setting up whatever in the world a strike tile is. If that random tile/space is a trap then he stumbled upon it and can disable it.
  • I don't see any sense in this. Whatever way I look the trap either should explode or stay there coexisting with the strike.

I fail to see how you could explain anything else thematically. Daken finished a defusing course and applied it in his rage?

Play-wise I don't see that excess power if the trap is not neutralized by accidents.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Daken finished a defusing course and applied it in his rage?

I'm good with that either way, but in a game in which Spidey's web fluid can instantly negate mutant healing factors yes, definitely makes sense thematically.
  • Daken needs to be nerfed for this event. If you're not allowed to use stuns, he can probably just stand there and never make a move, and you still can't overcome his regen.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Another very minor point: Payback Mission doesn't work on traps. Would usually hardly matter, but given the handful of people with a pronounced propensity for self-harm currently trying to wear down 230 Yelenas with no tank and no spank, someone might care.
    But lab's enviro works! I felt very robbed when it happened.
  • I agree with everyone else, Daredevil's been pretty underwhelming so far, exaggerated by the fact that most people's DD's are 1/1/1 or less and that the current PvE event is almost tailored against him, but maybe he might be worthwhile on defense?

I'm thinking his red comes out pretty easily. If you match it, at max level it one-shots pretty much anyone. So, if you can't disarm the tile, you're faced with a nasty choice: either lose one of your characters (likely the one who wants to use red), or be locked out of red until you kill Daredevil, who's sporting nearly 6k health. Ouch.

Obviously, "can't disarm the tile" is a pretty big if, considering how fragile traps are, but also consider that the 2*s that can deal effectively with traps (Storm, Wolverine, Daken) are all pretty squishy. If you can force your opponent to bring someone squishy in retaliation, maybe that's worth it? Although I guess if your opponent doesn't have a 3* that can deal with traps, he was probably going to bring Wolverine anyway.

I wish the power level ups gave you better effects when you match the trap; that'd go a long way towards making him more playable.
  • uuddlrlr
    uuddlrlr Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Match-4 activates the trap?
    Does that also apply if the trap is not one of the 4 gems matched, but it is in the same column/row that the Match-4 ?