*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm the 2* to 3* transition. I have the Hood at 1-5-4 at lvl 94. Everything I've read says the hood is supposed to be this amazing support character, but I've yet to really see it. Apparently, his blue and black are his best skills. My problem is with his blue skill, he just steals one AP from one color - and even that is conditional. 2* Black Widow does the steal much better than that. I just don't feel I can rely on it in PvP.

Then there's his black. I don't use countdown tiles much, but I could see Hood's black being useful then.

I play primarily PvP. Is the Hood really that useful there? Or is there some strategy I'm missing?
    you really don't see his value until he has about 4-5 blue covers. before that, he just sits there and every once in a while adds a little ap. once you get 5 blues, the longer the match, the more valuable he is. in the cyke pvp I hit 1300 using 2 shields with hood and jean. a covered hood is superior to obw to me (even at same level) and slightly better than loki, but that is more a situational choice.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'm the 2* to 3* transition. I have the Hood at 1-5-4 at lvl 94. Everything I've read says the hood is supposed to be this amazing support character, but I've yet to really see it. Apparently, his blue and black are his best skills. My problem is with his blue skill, he just steals one AP from one color - and even that is conditional. 2* Black Widow does the steal much better than that. I just don't feel I can rely on it in PvP.

Then there's his black. I don't use countdown tiles much, but I could see Hood's black being useful then.

I play primarily PvP. Is the Hood really that useful there? Or is there some strategy I'm missing?
    you really don't see his value until he has about 4-5 blue covers. before that, he just sits there and every once in a while adds a little ap. once you get 5 blues, the longer the match, the more valuable he is. in the cyke pvp I hit 1300 using 2 shields with hood and jean. a covered hood is superior to obw to me (even at same level) and slightly better than loki, but that is more a situational choice.
    He did say he had 5 blue covers unless I am mistaken. I think the main problem may be that Hood has very low health for a 3*, so when he's underleveled he dies very quickly.
    And yes, Hood is very useful in PvP. He slows down the opposition and speeds up your offense. The fact that it's a passive power may mean you do not notice the effects but believe me... there are plenty of times when I go up against Hood, have almost enough AP to kill him off, then not get any good matches and see him slowly drain all my AP and use it to kill me instead. His health is a bit of a liability, but who cares if he dies on defense? He's probably stolen at least a couple of AP by that point...
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does twin pistols generate AP? It says it does in the earlier posts in this thread?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does twin pistols generate AP? It says it does in the earlier posts in this thread?
    Not anymore.
    It used to do that. It also used to not end your turn.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Not anymore.

He's still really valuable for me since I like to play LCap but it sounds like Hood used to be an absolute demon
  • Quebbster
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Not anymore.

He's still really valuable for me since I like to play LCap but it sounds like Hood used to be an absolute demon
    The old version of Twin Pistols didn't deal much damage, but really racked up the AP - particularly since you could pick what AP you wanted. It was a fantastic Power, and the change was definitely disappointing.
    I like the new version too, but I miss the old version....
    (Oh, and it ended the turn if you had 4 covers or less)
  • Trying to figure out the best build; I suspect that the yellow in the poll is pre-nerf but I'm not sure.

I'm sitting at 445 right now with a new blue waiting in the wings. Unless I'm using him wrong, it seems like his best use is with StormNeto on the Big Enchilada. Yellow to nuke any ugly countdown tile groups, black to make MMags red do 4k damage instantly. Given that (and the fact that I hate the turn ending after yellow gets used), 355 seems like the obvious choice.

What's the updated opinion on Yellow post-nerf? Do we still build that up to 5? Why?

Thanks.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    databoy2k wrote:
    Trying to figure out the best build; I suspect that the yellow in the poll is pre-nerf but I'm not sure.

I'm sitting at 445 right now with a new blue waiting in the wings. Unless I'm using him wrong, it seems like his best use is with StormNeto on the Big Enchilada. Yellow to nuke any ugly countdown tile groups, black to make MMags red do 4k damage instantly. Given that (and the fact that I hate the turn ending after yellow gets used), 355 seems like the obvious choice.

What's the updated opinion on Yellow post-nerf? Do we still build that up to 5? Why?

Thanks.

You're rarely going to have more than 3 countdown tiles out (that you want to actually go down). Yellow at 5 becomes a end of match move for the most part or for PVE where end of turn doesn't matter as much on goon nodes.
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Not anymore.

They changed it when Goddess Thor was introduced since it could easily be used to gather charged tiles which were worth 3 AP at first.
  • Quebbster
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    You're rarely going to have more than 3 countdown tiles out (that you want to actually go down). Yellow at 5 becomes a end of match move for the most part or for PVE where end of turn doesn't matter as much on goon nodes.
    To back this up, I'll just point out that yellow damage triples from 3 to 5 covers. Maxed at 5 covers, Twin Pistol deals almost 6000 damage. At 3 covers, that should be around 2000 damage. I'd only recommend a 3/5/5 build If you never plan to use Twin Pistol and plan to use Intimidation excessively.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Databoy, I would strongly recommend 553. 5 black shined before sentry nerf, but as others already mentioned you will almost never have a big amount of friendly CD going.
    Yellow is a great finisher (makes over 9k when buffed) and its a very good panic button to remove special tiles or furthermore delay deadly enemy skills (i found myself lately deleting black tiles for a 10/12 BPanther and greens for a 11/14 Thor).
    In PvE, do try hood with captain america. Add gsbWidow for nukage or kamala fo survavility, while both further helping denying with their purples.
  • The only reason to go 355 instead of 553 is if you play Kingpin/Hood
    *shrug*
    - Unreall
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    The only reason to go 355 instead of 553 is if you play Kingpin/Hood
    *shrug*
    - Unreall

But why would you use Hood's black over KP's black?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    The only reason to go 355 instead of 553 is if you play Kingpin/Hood
    *shrug*
    - Unreall

But why would you use Hood's black over KP's black?
    Right, you'd never use those two together because of the yellow/black overlap.
  • Wolarsen
    Hence the Shrug!!!
  • aye hence the shrug *shrug* - never said it was something great.
    - Unreall
  • craig88
    craig88 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Is anyone else running Hood 3/5/5 with the update IM40 and LCap? I just recently respec'd him and it works well to accelerate the 3 recharge tiles plus all of Cap's shield throws.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    craig88 wrote:
    Is anyone else running Hood 3/5/5 with the update IM40 and LCap? I just recently respec'd him and it works well to accelerate the 3 recharge tiles plus all of Cap's shield throws.
    I haven't tried it, but it's definitely the build to use for that lineup.
  • Can someone give me advice on how to fight AGAINST this guy. He keeps stealing my stuff and it happens so fast I never know what he's stealing or what's going on. Who is best person to fight against Hood? Who should I avoid using?
  • Can someone give me advice on how to fight AGAINST this guy. He keeps stealing my stuff and it happens so fast I never know what he's stealing or what's going on. Who is best person to fight against Hood? Who should I avoid using?

Basically we all want to get hood out as fast as possible, so someone with low cost powers like Gamora with her red power, vision with his blue tile (make sure he tanks his colors), Iron Fist for his attack tile, cage is ok if you manage to get 12 black, could try out spidey to stun him or just winfinite with hope that board won't have scattered all around with no possible match purple tiles. I usually go with Fist/OML/cage. OML tanks, fist gathers 10 purple and fires it out, all while his attack tile chips out damage every turn. But then again - it all depends on the board.
  • Wolarsen
    Just as DevilM said; I would suggest too Daken and Blade as passive attack tile generators. You can also use +Match damage boosters, you will probably not be using them and have a good bunch on stock.