** Storm (Classic) ** [PRE 2013-12]

Comments

• Today I was attacked by the following team, and it won 40 points from me:

LVL 15 Hood
    LVL 45 Thor
    LVL 50 C. Storm

I have a maxed 3 star team by the way, and this team beat me within 1 match. I'm not going to say more, but it's incomprehensible that it's even possible.
  • Bombul wrote:
    Today I was attacked by the following team, and it won 40 points from me:

LVL 15 Hood
    LVL 45 Thor
    LVL 50 C. Storm

I have a maxed 3 star team by the way, and this team beat me within 1 match. I'm not going to say more, but it's incomprehensible that it's even possible.

You're correct - I think it is all but impossible for that team to 1 match you. But I think there is a reason that they are showing up as the team that "beat" you.

Have you ever come across a team in the lightning rounds that was only the buffed character? I have seen it quite a few times and it got me thinking...

I'm fairly certain that this means that any/all other characters that the player has are downed and the only viable character they can play with is the freebie-buffed character. If you want to talk about impossible - how does someone only have 1 character? let alone have 20-ish Iso-8 in the lightning round? THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. They would have had to sell every character (which I'm not about to try, but I would think that you can't do).

What I think happened to you was that your team probably beat the snot out of their team - probably downed 2 other high level characters (one being a higher level The Hood) and left C.Storm around for the win. With that in mind, you're left with the next 2 highest powered characters and C.Storm as your opponents.

Just a thought. Could be wrong.
  • Well, it was the free for all tournament. There is no given character for that. Not to mention, his starter Hood character had a level 1 blue skill, which meant AP stealing wasn't effective.
  • Bombul wrote:
    Well, it was the free for all tournament. There is no given character for that. Not to mention, his starter Hood character had a level 1 blue skill, which meant AP stealing wasn't effective.

It would still be the same regardless of if it was a lightning round or the free for all. You probably just downed 2 of his high-level characters and his storm was the one that finished you off and remained. The other two characters, hood included, were probably just the leftovers on his team that weren't downed.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,310 Site Admin
    The Lightning Rounds have a mechanic in them that pushes seeds forward to fight for the first few people that pop in to start generating points. Those seeds don't vanish, although the odds of matchmaking against them go down as more users enter the Tourney. That's probably what you're seeing when you hit a team that only has something like Hood and Storm in it.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Bombul wrote:
    Today I was attacked by the following team, and it won 40 points from me:

LVL 15 Hood
    LVL 45 Thor
    LVL 50 C. Storm

I can see it being totally possible for that team to beat you. The board could have played in their favor and they got The Hood out front so C.Storm could AoE your team a few times for thousands of damage. Doing so also stacks Red for Thor to wipe up whats left. Very possible he used boosts as well and got lucky and beat your team without even taking damage at all. (Minus The Hood who died)
  • My complaint with c.storm is that when she wipes out my team with raging tempest, the next attempt is almost pointless. If I don't incapacitate her some way on the next attempt she will use raging tempest again. There's the no-damage bug on the first turn of second and third attempts. In order to win I find that in order to be safe I need to use c.spiderman, use enough boosts to have 6 blue, and use all tied up until she is stunned. Most of the time she is stunned by the third attempt. The web tile is added on each attempt but she doesn't get hit with stun until that third attempt.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    My complaint with c.storm is that when she wipes out my team with raging tempest, the next attempt is almost pointless. If I don't incapacitate her some way on the next attempt she will use raging tempest again.
    She only uses raging tempest if you attack the other team members. Simple solution - just kill her first. She doesn't have many hit points.
  • Humphrey wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    My complaint with c.storm is that when she wipes out my team with raging tempest, the next attempt is almost pointless. If I don't incapacitate her some way on the next attempt she will use raging tempest again.
    She only uses raging tempest if you attack the other team members. Simple solution - just kill her first. She doesn't have many hit points.

My weakness is obvious 5-across matches or seeing a move which would result in cascading matches. I forget to change the target.

Sometimes I just forget
  • and you simply paid the price. as have almost all of us, myself included.

dat storm really hates stupid ppl such as myself
  • So I levelled my Thor from level 56 to 57 in the Hood lightning tournament. Suddenly my thor was making the black matches instead of my Hood, which means I couldn't throw my Hood out at will. Now I'm sad. I need to level another Thor and keep him at 56 for such tournaments.

BTW, if you guys think Classic Storm teams are easier to beat, not having a Classic Storm makes your team much much much more attractive a target for the people using classic storm in tournaments such as the hood. Why? Lets see what matches the free Hood lets you throw in front for a Classic Storm activation.

1) 4-of-a-kinds
    2) Correct colour matches by high level characters (e.g. 85 thor)
    3) Any matches if you have enough strike tiles (e.g. your Daken)
    4) Low cost attack abilities (e.g. Wolverine/Thor/Juggernaut)

If you don't have a classic storm in your team, I can beat you with my classic storm team 3x faster because I don't have to kill your classic storm before I throw my hood in front of your team. Your team features Daken AND Wolverine? Congratulations, I can beat you in 30 seconds flat by letting you combine green once and then just keep throwing the Hood out by matching black/environment tiles. My Storm and Thor barely takes any damage. High level Juggernaut? Awesome, I'll let you match reds and headbutt me and you eat storm activations every single time.

So Bombul, it would probably have been easier and faster for that team to beat you than one with 15 hood, 85 thor, 50 storm.

I just wish I could unlevel Thor to level 56 to keep doing this ;(
  • Tesla wrote:
    3. C. Storm teams can earn extremely fast wins against the AI in buffed guest character tournaments... I suspect we'll see fewer of them in this week's tourney, and that as players get more Heroic pulls we'll start seeing more character diversity.

Except not using a Storm makes you a much more attractive target for Storm players, since they don't have to wait to kill your Storm before they throw out their meat shields.
  • Thank you for the responses, gentlemen.

Just an update: I did not retaliate (he offered minimal points), but just today I was struck again by the same low level team, once again within a single match. With nary a character that is significant nor high leveled, lest for that C.Storm in the team. And this is just one of the many similar examples I have in PvP matches.

What does this tell us?

Or as Deadpool once said, "Shhh, my common sense is tingling."
  • Bombul wrote:
    What does this tell us?
    It tells us that the player in question doesn't have many high level characters, so isn't able to participate in PvP without using Classic Storm. The computer is an idiot, so it's possible to beat teams that are higher leveled than you.

Personally, in these lighting rounds I'd much rather fight someone with C. Storm + another than Thor + Iron Man. She has so much lower HP.
  • I don't mind classic storm, but it is getting annoying seeing her in every match. Especially when I'm sleepy and forget to switch to her. I think she should be stunned for the next turn after raging tempest. I wonder what that would do to how often she's used.
  • I was going to stink up the character request thread in GD again but it looks like we want to keep suggestion-suggestions here icon_razz.gif

Rather than post a bunch of poorly-written character suggestions, here are just some thoughts on potential abilities that could be given to future characters to help rein in Classic Storm's yellow in the meta.

"Temporary Passive Disable"
    Costs X AP
    For the next X turns, the enemy's passive abilities are disabled.
    (Possibly for Rogue or some other character?)

"Counteractive AP Gain"
    Passive (0 AP)
    Every time your entire team takes XX damage from a single ability, gain YY free AP of [INSERT COLOR(S) HERE] - To power up your team to counterattack without again triggering C. Storm's yellow...possibly to help your Spideys and Wolvies heal also
    (Possibly for Cyclops or some other character?)

"Damaging All Teammates Causes Stun"
    Passive (0 AP)
    Every time your entire team takes XX damage from a single ability, the enemy character that deal the damage is stunned for YY turns.
    (Possibly for an Iron Fist or Daredevil-type character to simulate a physical riposte/counterattack)

"Scaling Armor" (I suggested this type of ability for Sentinel)
    Passive (0 AP)
    Every time your entire team takes XX damage from a single ability, your team passively gains temporary health ("armor") that must first be removed by damage before your team's "true" health can be affected. The ability lets your team members exceed their "true" maximum health for this match only.
    (For Sentinel to represent some kind of temporary energy forcefield, but could also be for a big bruiser like The Thing or Hulk)

"One-time full-team avoidance" (I suggested this ability for Mystique)
    Passive (0 AP)
    At level 5, when your entire team would normally take XX damage from a single ability, your team takes 0 damage and this character moves to the back of your team (ala Modern Hawkeye)
    (For Mystique, but possibly for other slippery characters like Nightcrawler, who I believe had the ability to grab other people and teleport with them...but I think he's dead in current Marvel continuity icon_eek.gif )
  • Just kill her first. Seriously, it's not rocket science.
  • Humphrey wrote:
    Just kill her first. Seriously, it's not rocket science.

I do. icon_lol.gif

I don't personally have any problem with her with the way the game is now, but if the state of GD is any indication, not everyone shares my view.
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    I think she should be stunned for the next turn after raging tempest. I wonder what that would do to how often she's used.
    Not much, since it feuls red AP for another character to use, not for herself to use.
  • yup killing her is not hard. or try stun her before using ability on other char
This discussion has been closed.