I watch the movies too: Ant-Man

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
We'll see a Scott Lang Ant Man in a couple months. I'm sure of it. Here's my guess as to how he could be new and fun.

first and foremost, there are so, so many ways to make this guy playable. Oh. The possibilities.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Ant-Man Scott Lang. 9650 HPs.
portrait_incredible.jpg

redflag.png Army Ants. 10 AP.
Scott_Lang_(Earth-6311)_from_Uncanny_Avengers_Vol_1_8_AU_001.jpg
Scott summons a hoard of army ants, to deal waves of damage to the enemy per particle placed. Destroy one trap tile at a time, ala Sentry's World Rupture.
If no PYM trap.png particles are in place, place two at half cost and end turn.
Rank 2. deal 280 damage per trap.png tile and remove the traps.
Rank 3. Deal 340 per trap.png tile.
Rank 4. place 4 trap.png tiles.
Rank 5. Deal 500 per trap.png and do not end turn if no Pym :traps: are in place.

yellowflag.png Once a Thief, Always a Thief. 8 AP.
dy3skW8.png
Scott's criminal past shaped the man he is today. Scott creates uses his Pym technology to remove 3 random redtile.png and purpletile.png tiles and place a :timer: tile on the board. In two turns, convert 6 tiles of the specified colors. Place one Pym Particle tile on the board. trap.png
While the :timer: tile is in play, Ant-Man is stunned and cannot be attacked.
Rank 2. Remove 4 random redtile.png and purpletile.png tiles.
Rank 3. Place two trap.png tiles.
Rank 4. Remove 5 random redtile.png and purpletile.png tiles.
Rank 5. Decrease timer to 1 turn.

purpleflag.png Stick and Move 9 AP.
wpid-antmanissmallandangry_largewide.jpeg
Scott uses the proportional strength of an Ant to deal a mighty blow, throwing off enemies. Deal 880 Damage and place a :timer: tile on the board.
Rank 2. Scott deals an additional damage: 1180.
Rank 3. Timer decreased to 2 turns.
Rank 4. Damage increase to 1590.
Rank 5. Timer decreased to 1 turn. When the timer goes off, create 2 trap.png tiles.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Amazing work as always!

The one ability i would change slight is yellowflag.png

He is a thief, he needs to steal, not create.

How about this

Places a 3 turn countdown tile on the board that steals x Ap of that color.. start with purpleflag.png and redflag.png countdown tiles are placed on corresponding AP color tile (random)
    2 covers also steals blueflag.png
    3 covers also steals redflag.png
    4 covers also steals greenflag.png
    5 covers, reduces countdown to 2, also steals blackflag.png

I purposely left yellowflag.png out, as this could cause never-ending casting of this power.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Or we could do a carpenter ants ability that converts team-ups to yellows and purples or something..
  • Malcrof
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    Or we could do a carpenter ants ability that converts team-ups to yellows and purples or something..

I actually think you have the powerset dead on, one call ants based, One historical, one Size/Suit based.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I find your power descriptions to be pretty confusing.

Is he really supposed to be a 4-star? Because he shouldn't be.

Does Army Ants destroy all traps, or just Pym particles? Do the particles do anything when matched or destroyed in other ways, or are they just like Doom's traps? Ending the turn is AWFUL; why did you think that was necessary? Even at rank 4, you'd have to save up 15 red, and waste a turn... to do 1360 damage.

His yellow sounds clever, but does it convert random tiles to purple and red, or purple and red tiles to something else? You have some good ideas but you really need to work on making these readable. They're called countdown tiles.

Does Stick and Move's countdown tile do anything before Rank 5?
  • Malcrof
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Is he really supposed to be a 4-star? Because he shouldn't be.

Does Army Ants destroy all traps, or just Pym particles? Do the particles do anything when matched or destroyed in other ways, or are they just like Doom's traps? Ending the turn is AWFUL; why did you think that was necessary? Even at rank 4, you'd have to save up 15 red, and waste a turn... to do 1360 damage.

His yellow sounds clever, but does it convert random tiles to purple and red, or purple and red tiles to something else? You have some good ideas but you really need to work on making these readable. They're called countdown tiles.

Does Stick and Move's countdown tile do anything before Rank 5?

Yes, i think he should be a 4*, look at the current MCU, the from the cap series, we have 4* Fury, from thor, we have 4* Thor, from IM we have IMHB, from GotG we have 4* Starlord.. so with this being the beginning of a new series, he will most likely be a 4* if he is added.

The way i read it was like this... his red is akin to Doom's trap tiles.
    The yellowflag.png needs work, i have it a shot, but don't really like it all that much, to make it more effective, we would need to have it as a passive, adding the trap.png and maybe stealing AP after X tiles are on the board??
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    4* characters should have a certain thematic power level. Prof. X runs the X-Men and can shut down almost anyone. Nick Fury has the vast network of S.H.I.E.L.D. resources (and the Avengers themselves!), the inverse of Kingpin who essentially runs all major criminal activity (and even for him, 4* is a stretch). Sue Storm is the most powerful member of the Fantastic 4. Wolverine is the most prominent member of X-Force and is essentially unkillable. Star-Lord is a little silly but he is the heart of the Guardians. Besides Dino (who's a joke,) only Elektra really fails to be "4*" in a thematic sense. (I speculate she started as a 3*, but got hastily upgraded to 4* when IMHB was delayed until the Avengers 2 release.)

Ant-Man is a joke. The game already has enough 2* that 3* is the place for new designs (e.g. the recent 2*s are rehashes of 3*s because "new and exciting" should also be collectible/rare.) But putting Ant-Man--especially 2-bit punk Scott Lang--at the 4* level completely misses the point of what a 4* should be: Badass, implacable, and the most powerful person in their environment. Ant-Man is none of these things.

Anyway, sorry to ronin-san for hijacking the thread for a minute. Just really don't agree.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    I get the 3-4 argument. I just wanted more damage out of his abilities and thus bumped his health up.

Otherwise, I see him having 7250 HPs and dealing a couple hundred less per pym particle.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Amazing work as always!

The one ability i would change slight is yellowflag.png

He is a thief, he needs to steal, not create.

How about this

Places a 3 turn countdown tile on the board that steals x Ap of that color.. start with purpleflag.png and redflag.png countdown tiles are placed on corresponding AP color tile (random)
    2 covers also steals blueflag.png
    3 covers also steals redflag.png
    4 covers also steals greenflag.png
    5 covers, reduces countdown to 2, also steals blackflag.png

I purposely left yellowflag.png out, as this could cause never-ending casting of this power.

Here's the deal, and why I wanted color generation to his benefit only. When he's shrunk down, he's on his own; a solo act. He's not really a teammate. He's got team objectives in mind, but it's not as though a teammate can lend a hand. That's why he's often hiding in someone's hand, ear canal, cleavage, etc. He's enroute to his solo task.

SO shrinking a couple redtile.png and purpletile.png means they blossom later. That's his play. When they expand back into play ala Pym tech, he can also stick and move or grow Ants. But he does so because of his helmet.

Teammates can put him in place, but he's got to reply on his wit and tech to make his moves come to fruition. That's why he makes only his colors pop.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    As to the :timer: and trap.png tiles, I wanted the pym particles to deal damage when tripped. The trap mechanic is the closest thing I could think of, in game, that resembles an ant. They bite you once, and you step on them. That's a trap.

If we're to see the army ants as grown melee bashers, then they become attack.png tiles and hit of their own mindless volition (save magic helmet cueing).

So I want ant traps. I want spontaneous AP generation, and a LOT of it. That's why I said 4*. I want him to be exceptionally hard to kill. There wasn't anything amazing about Hulkbuster Iron Man. It's just that 3* characters don't get that much health. They. Do. NOT. He's a scaled up 3*.

Also, as to the "powerset and quality of character" that makes them a 4*.....I have to remind you that Vision has a freaking Infinity gem, and he's a 3* but Elektra is a 4*?

Tony's got a muscle suit. Was it really 4* tech or just 3* with harder to attain covers?

The bottom line is that the character has nothing to do with their rarity or overall strength in the game. If that were the case, Moonstone would be a 1*, ALL the wolverines would be 3*, Hulk would truly be a 4*, Sentry would be a 4*, and Scarlet Witch would, without question, be an Omega Level mutant. That's a 4*, sir.