A breakdown of the proposed Hitpoint Changes

Options
2»

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    I propose that protect tiles be functionally changed to pulse an AoE true healing effect every turn they remain on the board rather than reduce damage. True healing is a valuable defensive resource. Preventing minor amounts of damage while sustaining the pain throughout battles is not.

That's an interesting idea, but would be a huge change.

If you wanted to make protect tiles relevant in a game dominated by nukes without a change that big, you could make protect tiles a % reduction, rather than a fixed reduction in damage.
  • By virtue of a diversified roster, I am not taking it in the shorts as badly as people who put all their eggs into the Xforce Patch Daken Hulk Hood Thora basket, but I see these changes as being bad in the long term without further overhauls to the game.

Specifically, longer matches means more damage taken which means that "true healing", health packs, and defense tiles become very important if you are going to have a sizable run during PVP.

That currently means Cage at 5 red plus people who can heal or who can immobilize the competition, as cumulative damage taken from multiple powers during a match will be an issue.

A way to shake up this inevitable set of lineups would be to implement a change proposed recently... All chars instantly heal from normal wounds but require a health pack if knocked out.

If that is the case, it means that some heroes who take a lot of damage may get more play if people don't have to use a health pack on them every two PVP matches.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    This "buff" is more about D3miurge nerfing AP Stealing and True Healing than buffing other characters.
    Objectively speaking...this is GREAT!

If you look where the games balance issues lie you'll immediately notice it's with these two features...ap steal and true healing. Characters like Daken, Patch and XF receive WAY more regular use than other characters. I'd imagine Groot does as well for newer players who don't have the alternative old fogey's yet. It's clear that OBW, Loki and Hood completely dominate all aspects of this game as well.

If your goal is to create a more balanced game play experience with better roster viability than these features need to be made less appealing. The health change is one way to address that without directly nerfing the characters. This clearly matches the vision that D3 has for the game.

Note: I very much dread the health change because of how much of a slog the game may turn into. I think it takes things too far and would rather see the same goal accomplished by another means.

I would LOVE to see D3 address the other end of the feature spectrum as well...
    Protect Tiles.

Protect Tiles only serve to address match damage. Something that makes a player 'feel' good but ultimately accomplishes very little in the match as a whole since characters are primarily downed by skill usage. If D3 wants to make characters like spidey and the new IW appealing they need to change the functionality of protect tiles.

I propose that protect tiles be functionally changed to pulse an AoE true healing effect every turn they remain on the board rather than reduce damage. True healing is a valuable defensive resource. Preventing minor amounts of damage while sustaining the pain throughout battles is not.

That's not objectively speaking.
  • What's up with 2* Storm - no health buff?????
    Now - I actually think these health buff's in general go waaaaaay to far.
    I would have much preferred buffing a few of the lower health class 3* (GSBW, Mohawk, etc) and lower health class 4* (IW) characters only.

Or, doing nothing to health would have been INFINITELY preferable to this mess they are about to inflict upon us all.

But, if the new health tiers are happening, I for the life of me can't understand leaving out 2* Storm. Is it because of her Yellow ability maybe? Do the dev's think we WANT her to lose health so it triggers her Yellow passive? Or was it a simple oversight on their part. Or something worse....?
    Yeah...it seems like D3 just wants to kill Stormneto dead. It's the ultimate transitioner combo that was capable of hitting above it's weight class especially in PVE. I mean with enough luck, skill, patience, and boosts you could finish the Gauntlet with just Stormneto. But between nerfing Mags feeding of blue, cutting allowed boost quantity, and now upping the health of all opponents...transitioner combos like Stormneto are going to have a much harder time in PVE when this health upgrade hits. I am not looking forward to seeing these health upgrades in PVE at all...some of these goon feeder nodes are hard enough as it is without guaranteeing the enemy has even more time to fire off an absurdly over leveled power by giving them more health. Ugh.
  • Totally agree with OP
    and it would be even harder to deal when those heroes are featured

It also fits Demiurge style:
    why to fix 1 character when we can change 20 and get them above him?
    why to balance 20 characters when we can destroy the one at thet top

Truehealing characters were screwed hard, so bad that X-Force is only useful to heal now lol, i'm guessing Falcon was still included becuase Blade exists and they do want you to use newer heroes, at least for a while
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great post! I love the conspiritorial take on the health buff, since every nerf leads to cries of "don't nerf, buff!" We finally got our collective wish.

Agent Alex wrote:
    It also fits Demiurge style:
    why to fix 1 character when we can change 20 and get them above him?
    why to balance 20 characters when we can destroy the one at thet top
    lol. There's no other way to efficiently balance a game than by these two methods. Plus, they've actually never gone the former route before.
  • The real way to balance the game is making decent characters
    Make less Beast, Squirrel Girl or Gamora styled characters, get them close to some Blade or Cage characters

Even Psylocke and Punisher would be more usable with small tweaks, they dont have a bad move list

Sounds far more reasonable than shifting the health of half the game roster, or any dumb solution they pull
    But they always go for the cheap way
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Another effect of this is that protect tiles/health bursts will now be more viable.

Longer matches will mean higher likelihood to get hit by abilities, and increased match damage over the course of the battle. Putting protect tiles out early will preserve thousands of hp. Health bursts can protect skills firing off in your face. If I'm right, we may have seen a buff to characters like spiderman, kamala, squirrel girl, etc which would be great.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    Another effect of this is that protect tiles/health bursts will now be more viable.

Longer matches will mean higher likelihood to get hit by abilities, and increased match damage over the course of the battle. Putting protect tiles out early will preserve thousands of hp. Health bursts can protect skills firing off in your face. If I'm right, we may have seen a buff to characters like spiderman, kamala, squirrel girl, etc which would be great.

don't forget Professor X, he and Khan will be the most seen heroes
    and probably the next nerf targets
  • Health Boost = Fun Nerf

Longer pvp fights without damage increasing = more damage taken every fight = less time playing/more time regaining/(devs hoping increase in health pack sales)

Probably also meant 395 enemies with 10-20% more health = way more annoying = way more damage = way more regaining

Health Boost = Fun Nerf

But for those of us who quit, -Just in time!

-Awaiting something good to return