Venom Tournament Discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• i dunno, this tournament is hilarious, i made a run for 900 just for 1000 iso, reached it and was ranked 24, and got promptly attacked by 5 ppl sending me back to 780 for rank #200

which is exactly what i'm aiming for, in the bracket between 100-500. but still, the attacks came from everywhere in rapidfire succession,
  • I tried again and had the same shyt happen twice again. I give up.
  • Wow, just checked the leader board again and top score is still 1000, wonder if it's because there's no heavy competition for the top prize and everyone's grinding to 1000 and stopping?

It's cause the higher up the chain you are the more likely you are to get attacked, knocking you back. I tried for hours to get to 1200 so I could get a new spidey cover but couldn't get any further than 1050. For every one win I would endure 3-4 losses.

It doesn't help when a loss costs you 30-40points and you can only make 15-20 on a retaliation either.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ugh, so annoyed that this tournament ended an hour earlier than usual. Just got on to play 5 mins ago and couldn't do much. Sigh... all I needed was not even 10 mins to make my target.

edit: Looks like it was daylight savings time? But the Unstable ISO event was unaffected.
  • Getting a placement is a lottery in the end.
    At the beginning of my last match I was in the top 10. When I completed my match 30seconds later, the tournament had ended and I finished somewhere between #50 - #100. Very frustrating.
  • Getting a placement is a lottery in the end.
    At the beginning of my last match I was in the top 10. When I completed my match 30seconds later, the tournament had ended and I finished somewhere between #50 - #100. Very frustrating.
    I feel you i was #4, last 1min , direwolf attack me twice and i lose 64 point.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I made 1002, the win screen said I had 1002. I got out of the win screen and had been attacked to get me back down to 979. No prize. The tourney system in this game is terrible. What followed was 2 hours of being non-stop attacked by people rated anywhere from 650-950 making sure I'd never get higher than 900 again.

Something needs to change. There should be a range of opponents you can attack above and below. Their ranking display system is horribly flawed in that what the win screen says has no gauge on what your rating actually is. Just remove the win screen. Don't get my hopes up.

I tried really hard for those hero points but there's something in the way tourneys run that no one ever gets above 1000 for long.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    I made 1002, the win screen said I had 1002. I got out of the win screen and had been attacked to get me back down to 979. No prize. The tourney system in this game is terrible. What followed was 2 hours of being non-stop attacked by people rated anywhere from 650-950 making sure I'd never get higher than 900 again.

Something needs to change. There should be a range of opponents you can attack above and below. Their ranking display system is horribly flawed in that what the win screen says has no gauge on what your rating actually is. Just remove the win screen. Don't get my hopes up.
    Somone was attacking you before that. It show my score as 1007 but when i refresh had at 930+
  • Somone was attacking you before that. It show my score as 1007 but when i refresh had at 930+

Which is a bunch of bull. If I actually have less, don't tell me I have more. That's really, really bad design.
  • Ranzera wrote:

I tried really hard for those hero points but there's something in the way tourneys run that no one ever gets above 1000 for long.
    I personally want a shield system. Currently, everything but the last hour of the tournament is near-pointless. It makes for a hectic rush and favours certain timezones.

The shield doesn't need to last long. At least long enough for your client to sync with the server and actually display your score accurately.
  • I ended the tournament with 620 points. icon_e_smile.gif
    Mostly using:
    Iron Man Model 35 (5/2/4) (Level 36)
    Modern Storm (5/4/4) (Level 32)
    Venom (4/5) (Level 25)
    Alternates: Classic Hawkeye (5/5) (Level 24) / Modern Black Widow (5/5) (Level 28)

I only skimmed this thread, but I would also like to mention that I have concerns over the way the matchmaking/points are working in tournaments.

That being said, I am confused when people say they are only playing the last hour of the tournament, though... what do you mean? Is that only in higher level play (1000+ points). If I hadn't played as much as I did, I never would have gotten up to 600 points. I got about 400+ yesterday, lost about 100 while sleeping, and made another 300 today. It was a little challenging to get to that point with my team (low on boosts and I tend to hoard my medkits instead of using them like... ever), but happy to have gotten my 150 HP in rewards and getting up to the 600 points for the Moonstone was just kind of an extra for me.

To discuss something a little different... Venom isn't terrible. He grew on me (hehe). Symbiote Snare was actually helping me obtain Lightning Storm more easily than I would have expected (that random green web tile always seemed to want to help me out icon_e_biggrin.gif ), until I leveled it up to 5. Upping the cost to 7 made it quite a lot less helpful. Stunning the entire team isn't terrible, but I predict that at "Max Level Character Play", Venom would really benefit from allowing the player to select between the level 4 and level 5 powers before battle. Devour seems fairly unremarkable, though I assume it could be quite fun to try with Yellow Spidey, as others have probably mentioned here or elsewhere.
  • I ended the tournament with 620 points. icon_e_smile.gif
    Mostly using:
    Iron Man Model 35 (5/2/4) (Level 36)
    Modern Storm (5/4/4) (Level 32)
    Venom (4/5) (Level 25)
    Alternates: Classic Hawkeye (5/5) (Level 24) / Modern Black Widow (5/5) (Level 28)

I only skimmed this thread, but I would also like to mention that I have concerns over the way the matchmaking/points are working in tournaments.

That being said, I am confused when people say they are only playing the last hour of the tournament, though... what do you mean? Is that only in higher level play (1000+ points). If I hadn't played as much as I did, I never would have gotten up to 600 points. I got about 400+ yesterday, lost about 100 while sleeping, and made another 300 today. It was a little challenging to get to that point with my team (low on boosts and I tend to hoard my medkits instead of using them like... ever), but happy to have gotten my 150 HP in rewards and getting up to the 600 points for the Moonstone was just kind of an extra for me.

To discuss something a little different... Venom isn't terrible. He grew on me (hehe). Symbiote Snare was actually helping me obtain Lightning Storm more easily than I would have expected (that random green web tile always seemed to want to help me out icon_e_biggrin.gif ), until I leveled it up to 5. Upping the cost to 7 made it quite a lot less helpful. Stunning the entire team isn't terrible, but I predict that at "Max Level Character Play", Venom would really benefit from allowing the player to select between the level 4 and level 5 powers before battle. Devour seems fairly unremarkable, though I assume it could be quite fun to try with Yellow Spidey, as others have probably mentioned here or elsewhere.
    It takes maybe an hour for high levels to reach 600. If they go any higher on day 1 or 2 it's pointless other than farming ISO because they'll just get knocked back down. You -have- to play in the last hour to maintain a high rank.

Many people run 4/5 Venom. I personally do.
  • I generally use devour as another nuke in my team. It's not uncommon for it to hit for over 1200 for me. Wolverine puts out so many strike tiles that even my match 3s do over 400 damage.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Venom definitely grew on me a little over the tournament. During the last few minutes, when the goal is to go as fast as humanly possible, I'd find myself killing off venom + storm (since...well...it's always storm), and then just devouring Rag/Thor...instead of working down 4000+ health, which would have taken longer.

But yeah...for points, I usually really only need to do the day before the tournament to try to reach the highest reward I can (1000, this time), since people aren't attacking you constantly, and then get to a relatively safe point total sometime the day of the tournament (750ish), set up your board so you have 5 opponents that will give 25+ points, and then hammer out around 10-12 more battles in the last 40 minutes. You don't want to fight TOO many battles, and you definitely don't want to fight low-point battles, since you'll get countered and lose even more points - the more fights you take, the more aggro you generate. I ended up with mid 900s (I think, it's hard to say, for sure), and made the top 100...which was plenty good for me.
  • Loki as top prize ruined this tournament... 101th place onwards is better XD
  • I got to 1000 5 hours before the tournament ended. Got my hero points and went to sleep. Woke up to a -400 point loss. Had to fight my way back up again (not surprisingly, at the last hour).
  • ****. i plan to top 101+ half hour before tournament end. place in rank 85..at the end of tournament, top 2000. WTH..??
    bulls eye purple reward gone. the higher we climb, the harder we fall. something wrong with this system. the unstable iso-8 is better. no need to worry about point loss. vice versa from top 2000 to top 50 can be done by the last hour , this is insane system. icon_lol.gif