Venom Tournament Discussion

Options
Ok... I guess I'll start it off.

Top reward is Loki... hmm.... icon_e_confused.gif

Comments

• I'm having the same problem here that I've been having in the lightning tourneys... Initially I get super-easy opponents to beat on, but once I get to 100 pts, the ONLY opponents I can find are people with level 60+ characters...
    I missed out on some of the early giveaways and am currently running a decent team of lvl 50 1-star characters... I can't believe that I'm the ONLY person that doesn't have fully statted 3/4 star characters, so why can't I find any similar opponents in the tournaments?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Twanbon wrote:
    I'm having the same problem here that I've been having in the lightning tourneys... Initially I get super-easy opponents to beat on, but once I get to 100 pts, the ONLY opponents I can find are people with level 60+ characters...
    I missed out on some of the early giveaways and am currently running a decent team of lvl 50 1-star characters... I can't believe that I'm the ONLY person that doesn't have fully statted 3/4 star characters, so why can't I find any similar opponents in the tournaments?
    Depending on how you're doing in tournaments in your matchups, that could very well be the caliber of players that you're rated as going up against. The matchmaker bases your opponent selection against other players that have similar overall ratings as you do across all tournaments. That's not "Scored 250 overall in Lightning Round 5" rating, but an overall behind the scenes rating. So if you're consistently winning against opponents and raising your rating, then not dropping back down, you're going to be matched against other opponents that are doing the same.

That's a pretty simplified way of looking at how the matchmaker works, but basically, that's the case. It's pretty likely that the matches you're seeing is because you're fighting "outside your league" on offense, so the matches are necessarily harder for you at the moment.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like Venom is immune to Devour. Tried to use my lvl 40 against the lvl 2 and only did like 23 damage.

Also, why no boost for Venom? Seems odd that Cap'n and Black Widow are boosted, but whatevs. We'll see how it goes...
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Looks like Venom is immune to Devour. Tried to use my lvl 40 against the lvl 2 and only did like 23 damage.

Also, why no boost for Venom? Seems odd that Cap'n and Black Widow are boosted, but whatevs. We'll see how it goes...

Or I could also make sure I did select my cover before the game...

At least that wasn't my first post. icon_redface.gif
  • jojeda654 wrote:

I find that weird too... that said, if you use Venom, BW, and Cap then you have three stuns (but only across two colors).

I suspect anyone with a B/Y Spidey is going to clean up on this one. If they want to for... Loki. Yay.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    I suspect anyone with a B/Y Spidey is going to clean up on this one. If they want to for... Loki. Yay.

I have blue/yellow Spidey and a level 40 maxed-out Venom. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Doing the full Venom devour combo requires 12 black AP plus 8 web tiles on the board. For Venom, web tiles cost 7 purple each at level 5. For Spidey, web tiles cost 2 blue at level 5...but you can't make any more web tiles if there aren't any other yellow tiles on the board. I've been in many matches where I have 12 black AP and enough blue AP for Spidey to make 8 webs, but there are only 4 yellow tiles on the board, which means I can only make 4 webs. I've also been in matches where I had enough yellow tiles and purple/blue to make 8 full web tiles but had no black.

It's a much harder combo to put together than it seems like. Really doesn't seem worth the trouble...
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I don't think a full team devour is a terribly viable strategy either. Plenty of times I've been close to that point, but figured it was way more beneficial to use the web tiles for healing, rather than devour. By the time I have the necessary web tiles/AP, I already have the game in the bag (mainly because of the ridiculous amount of stuns you can use.)

I've done the full team devour a couple of times, but it was only ever for the novelty of it all.

Maybe one day there will be some insane boss battle that it will be worth to race to do it, but I don't think it's worth trying to pull off in PvP right now. I'd much rather just heal up my whole team with those web tiles and be fresh for the next battle.

Maybe if you don't have yellow spidey, then it may be worth trying more. (And, let's be real...the vast majority of people don't have a yellow spidey. He was the only reason I tried to get to 2000 Red ISO.
  • Is anyone else going for Bullseye rather than Loki? I think Bullseye has more interesting abilities.
  • aiming for 100-500 so that i don't have to compete too strongly this tournament
  • Ouch! Those Storm Classic "Raging Tempest - Yellow Passive" are brutal. If you hit them hard, your entire team gets hit back even harder!

Have to make sure to stun Storm until she is down.
  • Wow 3 star hero, and u only need be in top 100 ;] great. Wait, owwww this is loki xD
  • Anyone else notice that Black Widow and Captain America are no longer boosted?

I really wish they wouldn't do stealth updates.

Edit: I'm not seeing a boost indicator on them anymore, but IceX's patch notes (saw them after I posted this) clearly state they're supposed to be boosted.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Yeah, I just noticed they were no longer boosted. Disappointing for me, but I wonder if they weren't supposed to in the first place.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Yeah, I just noticed they were no longer boosted. Disappointing for me, but I wonder if they weren't supposed to in the first place.

Kinda disappointing, I dumped a healthy dose if ISO into Black Widow earlier today because she was boosted for this tourney. Looks like I just wasted about 7000 ISO...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Zathrus wrote:
    Anyone else notice that Black Widow and Captain America are no longer boosted?

I really wish they wouldn't do stealth updates.

Edit: I'm not seeing a boost indicator on them anymore, but IceX's patch notes (saw them after I posted this) clearly state they're supposed to be boosted.

Actually, I added them to the Patch Notes after I saw that they were boosted while reviewing the Tourney details. There was no real reason for them to have been (other than that they were in the last Venom Tourney), so it was a holdover.
  • I'm running Mag now 3/5/5 with classic spidey and 5/4 venom and doing major damag icon_cool.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Actually, I added them to the Patch Notes after I saw that they were boosted while reviewing the Tourney details. There was no real reason for them to have been (other than that they were in the last Venom Tourney), so it was a holdover.

Ah... then I presume it wasn't supposed to be there in the first place (as many have noted, it was odd). That's fine -- thanks for the clarification.
  • general recipe in almost any pvp and pve..classic storm for quick battle.
    every now and then guaranteed finish in 2-5 turn. except when the enemy also have cstorm icon_lol.gif

ragnarok when not boosted , not so OP. but lv 70+ ragnarok is deadly. wish i got ragnarok with all color. already wasting 700 Hero point only got 1stars icon_cry.gif
  • I really needed a Spider-Man cover so I figured I would take advantage of the Cover pack that gave a 50% chance of getting Bag-Man/Spider-Man. I had 580 hero points so at 200 points a shot I get two tries. End up with a Dakon and Thor.....figures.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Twanbon wrote:
    I'm having the same problem here that I've been having in the lightning tourneys... Initially I get super-easy opponents to beat on, but once I get to 100 pts, the ONLY opponents I can find are people with level 60+ characters...
    Depending on how you're doing in tournaments in your matchups, that could very well be the caliber of players that you're rated as going up against. The matchmaker bases your opponent selection against other players that have similar overall ratings as you do across all tournaments. That's not "Scored 250 overall in Lightning Round 5" rating, but an overall behind the scenes rating. So if you're consistently winning against opponents and raising your rating, then not dropping back down, you're going to be matched against other opponents that are doing the same.

That's a pretty simplified way of looking at how the matchmaker works, but basically, that's the case. It's pretty likely that the matches you're seeing is because you're fighting "outside your league" on offense, so the matches are necessarily harder for you at the moment.

Must agree with this. I have simply 1* 50+ lvl team and I have won first lightning 2h tournament. After that the only oponents i can find in any next tournaments are 70+ lvl Rangarocks and Thors. I wish i knew about geting screw - the fist place rewards was not worth to being not able to play anymore.... Hope that afeter few last place tournaments i can get back with same power oponents.