top 5 players in pvp please answer

Options
2»

Comments

• In no particular order.... Scoring for season, scoring for alliance, because I like matching little tiles, because I decide to compete with someone for first even though they don't necessarily know we're competing...

If this is about 4* covers for first though it's irrelevant. Lets say, for arguments sake, those guys scoring 1.5k+ just get to 1300 and stop and shield. You'll find it is MUCH harder to overtake someone at 1.3k who's the highest in your time slice (since everyone is stopping at 1.3k now) than it is to get to 1300 for the progression reward in a bracket where ppl are scoring 2k. I imagine that if those guys all stopped at a "sensible" score they'd still end up first icon_e_smile.gif.

Just be glad they let everyone else get 1.1k and 1.3k progressions MUCH MUCH easier. If anything you should be writing a thankyou thread.......
  • I have a max covered Xforce, a max covered IW and a 10 cover Nick Fury.

I regularly place in the top 10. I often place in the top 5. I occasionally place in the top 1, depending on my bracket.

A lot of times, when I get top 1, I wasn't even necessarily trying. It was just the way my bracket shook out. I have a planned score, depending on how high leveled my featured character is. If he's level 60, I go for 1000. If he's 100-200, I typically go for 1100 and if he's 166 to 249, I try to get 1200 or 1300.

Obviously, those numbers fluctuate based on where I am at the end of the PVP (at work? with my wife? Sleeping?) and how much I want the rewards at 1100, 1300 or top 1.

When I'm competing for top 1 and I see someone trying to get up there, if it's an Xforce or IW cover and they need it, I'll typically just stay where I am and let them pass me, if they can.

But if it's a Nick Fury, 4hor or, now, Elektra cover, I'd probably fight them for it.

The 1000 ISO really helps and it just feels good getting top 1.

About 99% of the time, the people who I'm competing with for the top cover already have that character maxed anyway, so it doesn't really matter either way.
  • grapez
    grapez Posts: 50
    Options
    thanks for all the answers guys. those 4* covers being rewarded to top players who already have maxed out 4* characters just seems like a waste is all.

i heard of a donation idea but i'd imagine that would just lead to a bunch of money transactions outside the game which isnt a good idea.

i guess at this point i just feel flustered because those rewards seem within reach but also at the same time horribly unattainable.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The main two reasons for higher scoring: (1) season points and (2) help their alliance scores.

A friend of mine, Jamie Madrox (it'd be funny if I mispelled his name due to being too lazy to look it up) came up with this idea of a smart scoring system. This would also solve the problem of some time slices having relatively higher scores than others. He can explain this far better than me.

If I understand him correctly, basically, whoever gets first in a 500 person bracket gets 500 points regardless of their actual score. So if someone wins with a score of 401 or a score of 4,000, they get 500 points towards their alliance and individual season scores. Likewise, 2nd place gets 499, 3rd 498, and so on.

I thought this would be a great idea to cross over into alliances for seasons. If an alliance got 1st in a pvp, they would get 10,000 points or whatever relative point total, 2nd would get 9,999, and so on. These points would go to their season totals. Meaning instead of their changing player composition throughout the season determing their score, their score is determined by how they place in each pvp. So for example if The X-Men II got 1st place in every PVP and had a score of 80,000 going into the last event and half their players left, their score would be unaffected for the season. More importantly for alliances 50-150 this would mean that changing players at the end of the season would stop and players would stop being cut at the last minute due to the way the new system would work.
    Actually it was HailMary that came up with it. Yes you're essentially correct on how it works.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, would your rather finish top 5 and get 1 extra 3* cover or finish top 25, give up a bit of HP and ISO for a 4*? Because that's what they help you get. What D3 could do to help alleviate some of this is have the Alliance reward the same as the top 5 reward cover, that way you could still walk away with every cover if you hit top 25, but trust me, having those players score high to push points higher for everyone else and get 4* covers is going to help you out much more than a soon to be out classed 3* cover.
  • There are two threads in Suggestions that cover possible solutions to your main complaint. You should add your voice to one of them.
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21432
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21313