Edge effects

Options
2»

Comments

• h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's a general frustration with random in this game. I am okay to keep this corner and edge placements, but the countdowns should be decreased or the ability slightly cheaper.

Why am I ok with the placement and effect as is?
    - it brings more of a strategic insight to the game (e.g. you don't have to shoot the ability as soon as you have the AP, prepare the board, check where the specific color tiles are and then shoot it - play it like chess predict the next moves of opponent and yourself)
  • h4n1s wrote:
    That's a general frustration with random in this game. I am okay to keep this corner and edge placements, but the countdowns should be decreased or the ability slightly cheaper.

- it brings more of a strategic insight to the game (e.g. you don't have to shoot the ability as soon as you have the AP, prepare the board, check where the specific color tiles are and then shoot it - play it like chess predict the next moves of opponent and yourself)

That's nice, except how does one strategize for "random"? The two concepts are mutually exclusive. Unless, you've somehow figured it out, then please accompany me to Vegas. There's a lot of money to be won on **** and roulette! =D
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    h4n1s wrote:

That's nice, except how does one strategize for "random"? The two concepts are mutually exclusive. Unless, you've somehow figured it out, then please accompany me to Vegas. There's a lot of money to be won on **** and roulette! =D

All the money in poker is won by strategizing for random. So...
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options
    scottee wrote:

Notice, I didn't list poker or blackjack? Card-counting is weighing probabilities based on a set number of cards that have/have not been played. That's not random. To the laymen it appears random, but in fact is not.

In MPQ I can attempt to prepare the board, match all available matches of that color. Fire off the countdown. Next turn, ai gets a cascade or match 4/5 and destroys it, moves it to the corner for a different match, or I simply never get to use it because the game won't quit injecting matches of that color to the board.

Explain how a grandmaster chess player can plan for all of these scenarios (and many more I didn't list) at once?
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:

Notice, I didn't list poker or blackjack? Card-counting is weighing probabilities based on a set number of cards that have/have not been played. That's not random. To the laymen it appears random, but in fact is not.

My point is that you can strategize random in this game. When Punisher's Judgement goes off, there's a certain percentage change it breaks 9 tiles, and certain for 6, and for 4. There's also advanced tile matching techniques that take into account 'randomness', but are really just taking into account percentages. Most people don't think to play this way, or are just too lazy to bother. But yes, there is a random factor, but the person strategizing better comes out on top in the end. Same in poker. Pocket aces lose to pocket 2's like 20% of the time. You strategize around that.