* Storm (Modern) * [PRE 2014-07]

1234568»

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Autocorrect error. Just had a chance to look over it.
  • JC why do you assume the change will be bad, don't be a pessimist, embrace change my fellow true believer
  • All this really means is no more desert, no forest, no more danger room. All the areas are now the same, exactly the same. Just different backdrops. This will opening up the option to add more background art for new areas since they no longer have to figure out what EAP ability to give it.

Think again. All environment effects stay in game, cuz Team-Up feature work only when you have characters attacks.

If not — say hello to Desert, Forest and Danger Room. icon_lol.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    OTERSEY wrote:
    All this really means is no more desert, no forest, no more danger room. All the areas are now the same, exactly the same. Just different backdrops. This will opening up the option to add more background art for new areas since they no longer have to figure out what EAP ability to give it.

Think again. All environment effects stay in game, cuz Team-Up feature work only when you have characters attacks.

If not — say hello to Desert, Forest and Danger Room. icon_lol.gif
    My assumption may be incorrect but it wouldn't make any sense for them to go through the trouble of rewording the two characters that use Environmental Tiles current to state Team-Up. They either did a bang up job with the wording or removed them. Either way, they weren't very clear but we'll know later this week.
  • Elements was one of my favourite skills in the game too, but I'm looking forward to TU. It sounds like a great idea. So while we're losing something that affects one character, we're gaining another that can benefit the whole cast.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    JC why do you assume the change will be bad, don't be a pessimist, embrace change my fellow true believer

I never said the change was bad. I have no idea of what it is until I actually see it and try it. I think you may have misunderstood the OP.

So, to clarify for everyone; ......

I know that Storm will still be a usable character. And her abilities are NOT being taken away, but just altered. From what I have seen, and I could be wrong, but, from what I've seen, team up will work kind of like Fury's yellow. ( notice I said "kind of". not exactly, just to be clear for some people ). Fury's yellow is another of my favorites. IF it works like that I will be thrilled. But I don't know how it works so I will wait until next week and see.

And I know that the main effect is the enviroment tiles. But that was what the OP was about. Using Storm and environmental abilities is something I enjoyed and how I wish I could use buffed 1* in the current PvE one last time. I might enjoy team ups even more, ( I know i will if it really is like Fury's yellow ), so, like I said in the OP, I will reserve judgements until after I have had a chance to experience the new changes.
  • I actually think the switch to yellow will help her: Instead of red, when you are competing with a whole lot of valuable abilities, you will actually use the ability often, because there are very few yellow abilities that are any good.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Guys, MAJOR change is not color of Mistress, but AP cost !!
    Modern Storm was only solution for fighting extra-scaled goons, for example in Unstable Iso-8 PVE event.
    If there wasn´t enough red AP in first maybe 4 turns, retreat was eminent.
    Battle agains goons is pure luck in the beginning, without AP, so Mistress at 5 red AP is CRUSIAL.
    I can´t possibly imagine to play those goons nodes with Mistress cost at 9 AP.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP, I hear your pain brother. Here I stand with you. To everyone else who wonders why the fuss and proposes that this is not really a nerf: you clearly don't love her and never really knew her.

True fans of Storm know that the true joy of using her was casting her red. First seen back in the days of having a 1* roster, nothing compared to seeing it go off in a board with 15 enviro tiles or more. The damage dealt by the ability itself was minimal, but the resulting cascades from such a drastic board move could mean thousands of damage. Many a Juggernaut was fell that way in times where downing 2k HP enemies was a hurdle, let alone his 5k HP. Moreover, you got tons of enviro AP which was game-changing in jungle and desert, plus all the coloured AP from cascades. Then, Gold Storm came and there was much rejoicing until we saw that there was no way of reducing her red's ability cost. Sure, now it deals much more damage, but you cannot fire it out as quickly, which is instrumental. Still, she remained a fun and reasonably powerful character among 3*s if not remarkably so.

And now, they're taking away the cascades. I don't give a **** about Team Up AP being more useful than Enviro AP; 5 tiles destroyed are not even two matches' worth. If you go for Team Up matches instead yellow matches to fire her ability, you'll get a better deal if Team Up is what you care for. To add insult to the injury, the max damage per tile destroyed will be actually LESS (-6) than her current.

Sure, she will still be usable (though is not like people use her much even NOW), but she will be nothing like she's now. For the few of us who care, this is a change in the scale of Spidey's nerf. Spidey is still usable ain't he? He's just no longer usable in the way that people who loved him used to play him.
  • Phillipes wrote:
    Guys, MAJOR change is not color of Mistress, but AP cost !!
    Modern Storm was only solution for fighting extra-scaled goons, for example in Unstable Iso-8 PVE event.
    If there wasn´t enough red AP in first maybe 4 turns, retreat was eminent.
    Battle agains goons is pure luck in the beginning, without AP, so Mistress at 5 red AP is CRUSIAL.
    I can´t possibly imagine to play those goons nodes with Mistress cost at 9 AP.

There are way better ways to deal with high level goons than Mistress of the Elements.

With it changing colour, I might even consider using Mohawk in teams without Thor to cover yellow/black (heck, in a team without Thor she might even cover green) although of course Black Panther will now have a yellow worth using as well as the best black in the game.

Mohawk/C.Mags will now cover all 6 colours with active abilities, incidentally, which allows for some interesting stuff.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zhirrzh wrote:

Mohawk/C.Mags will now cover all 6 colours with active abilities, incidentally, which allows for some interesting stuff.

I had not thought of that. Very good point. icon_e_biggrin.gif I use 1* Storm and C Mag together all the time. I sometimes use Modern Storm with 2 high level characters to protect her. Throw in a hero that generates strike tiles and I loved using mistress of elements over and over in a single match. icon_twisted.gif

Unfortunatly, LakeStone posted that TeamUps is a "single use ability ". icon_cry.gif Then again, if it powerful, it might only take one use. I don't know about the rest of you guys/gals, but as much as I will miss Storms red, her new yellow sounds very exciting.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    LakeStone wrote:
    Storm (Modern) - Mistress of the Elements
    - Altered to use the new Team-Up Feature instead of Environment tiles
    Old
    Mistress of the Elements - Red 9 AP
    Fierce winds swirl, sending heavy weights aloft and turning them against the enemy. Deals 3 damage for each Environment tile, then shatters them.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
    Max Level: 34 damage for each Environmental tile

New
    Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
    Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Destroys up to 5 Team-Up tiles, generating Team-Up AP and dealing 4 damage per tile.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 4 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 3: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 4: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 5: Destroys 6 Team-Up tiles
    Max Level: 61 damage for each Team-Up tile

Please note changes are not yet final.

- Thank you

Seems like a huge nerf, depending on the usefulness of team-up AP and how much it generates. Seems weaker than Magneto's Magnetic Projectile now, with a ridiculous AP cost. Also, not sure why Level 3 and Level 4 seem to be the same; probably more clerical errors.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect the TUs will be given out like boosts and be available for the entire combat. e.g. you get a TU of, say, Magneto's "Polarity Shift" and when you decide to use it for a particular combat, you can access it for X TU AP. Just to be clear, this is just a guess based on the wording.

What I see as a potential hardship, though, is that they state that the opponents get access to it too. If they get access to it every time and you have to expend a resource to access it, I can see that getting ugly - you'll have to go for the TU AP just to deny the AI it, but it will get you nothing. Again, just a guess.

Based on what they told us, I really can't see Storm's power being nearly as good as it is presently. I'm in the 2*-3* transition and every so often I put MStorm in just to play with her. Her red is just plain fun, particularly in the Desert or the Jungle, and it's so damn cheap....

I kind of like environments. If I were them, I would have improved Latveria and the City but left the rest alone - maybe brought down the AP given by the Jungle to 3 (it's a bit OP as it is.)
  • Honestly Modern Storm's red was overpowered at 5AP. Mohawk's storm's red was less often useful.
    Considering team-ups are probably going to be a money-grab P2W mechanic, this makes her far less useful for people who aren't willing to pay for the team-up boosts every round. Considering her low hit points, it's hard to see if she'll be useful in the long run icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

If you have to stack your boosts to use them multiple times in a round, her new ability will be complete weak sauce.

The colour change definitely changes her supporting skills. She'll definitely be more compatible with 2* wolverine, doom, tdaken, among others.

This thread is now closed and further character discussion is here.
This discussion has been closed.