** Hawkeye (Modern) ** [PRE 2014-09]

Comments

• He avoids the attack but usually someone else ends up taking the hit for him, at least that's how it used to work. A recent patch said they changed his behavior, but I have no idea what it is since he's just not someone I see very often.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2014
    Avoiding team-based attacks has always been something he does, though I'm pretty sure I've noticed more problematic behavior in that situation. When you are going up against an enemy M.Hawkeye, and hit their entire team for 800 (like Punisher's Molotov), the other two members get hit for 800 each, and M.Hawkeye avoids the damage. However, when M.Hawkeye is on your team, and the enemy uses Molotov for 800, M.Hawkeye Avoids, one of your guys takes 800, and the other takes *1600*--his own damage plus a "redirected" amount that was supposed to hit M.Hawkeye. This is tough to test in the wild, because he isn't a popular character, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've observed in the past.

Edit: The "changed behavior" that Phantron's talking about concerns which character ends up in front when M.Hawkeye Avoids. It was reversed in that patch, though I don't recall which was old vs. new behavior.
  • He's on the list of chars to get buffed. Avoid might change after hawk is tweaked, but I certainly don't get the impression it's overpowered.
  • From my experience if Hawkeye is on the very back of the team, he avoids the attack and no one else takes the extra damage. But if he is not in the furthest back position, then he avoids it and the guy behind him takes the extra damage on top of whatever damage they'd have taken.
  • The funny thing is if hawkguy jumps back and the victim he shoved to the front died, he stays in the middle and any attack coming next will hit the dead guy for no damage.. Tricky hawkguy is tricky.. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure someone on here mentioned this already, but was just thinking about how Hawkeye works and I'm just agreeing with anyone else if they already have (honestly just can't read 6 pages of Hawkeye to find out if someone else has already suggested it.)

For a character who's only abilities in the comics are "world-class archer and marksman," why in the world are his count-down tiles RANDOM? Shouldn't he be able to pick ANY appropriate tile to target, since he can aim? Don't get me wrong, I know that his powers WOULD be considered a bit over-powered for a 2* if that was the only change, but I would figure that a slight drop in his raw power for them could be off set by having more control over it (higher than 2* cap, but lower than Magneto.)

Just a thought, I know there are other characters who need a buff more, but I honestly didn't even consider Hawkeye when I was using my 2*'s still and this seems like an inconsistency based on the characters powers as a whole.
  • Th widespread assumption is that he'll be able to aim tiles like Captain America does when his buff comes in.

Then they'll release a Lazy version of him.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Can someone explain to me why Hawkeye, the guy who has led branches of the Avengers shunts damage onto his teammates (double damage for AoEs), while Bullseye, the sociopath known for turning on his teammates at a moment's notice generates protect tiles to keep them safe? It really shouldn't bother me, but man their purples bug the ever living tiny kitty out of me.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Th widespread assumption is that he'll be able to aim tiles like Captain America does when his buff comes in.

Then they'll release a Lazy version of him.

Spot on 100% yes.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 3* version might actually be annoying, if they make it so that his other powers are actually a threat. Especially if you have to eat through 20k health to even get to him through avoid
  • People need to stop assuming and asking for lazy versions of every character. You're making the game worse.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    People need to stop assuming and asking for lazy versions of every character. You're making the game worse.

There are going to be lazy versions of at least six of the seven 1*/2* characters that don't have them yet. Nothing we say or do or don't say or don't do will have any affect on that. These will probably be intermixed with occasional baby versions of the 3*s that don't have a 2*.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    People need to stop assuming and asking for lazy versions of every character. You're making the game worse.

There are going to be lazy versions of at least six of the seven 1*/2* characters that don't have them yet. Nothing we say or do or don't say or don't do will have any affect on that. These will probably be intermixed with occasional baby versions of the 3*s that don't have a 2*.
    Maybe if people like you weren't so accepting of lazy characters, that wouldn't be the case. Actually, some time ago devs were made aware the community didn't want anymore lazy characters and they said they would work on different characters instead. They said they would release the ones they planned though. I think Lazy Daken was supposed to be last of them. But people kept paying them for lazy characters, so they kept heating the same meal and putting it in front of us again and again icon_mad.gif
  • KevinMark wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:

Maybe if people like you weren't so accepting of lazy characters, that wouldn't be the case. Actually, some time ago devs were made aware the community didn't want anymore lazy characters and they said they would work on different characters instead. They said they would release the ones they planned though. I think Lazy Daken was supposed to be last of them. But people kept paying them for lazy characters, so they kept heating the same meal and putting it in front of us again and again icon_mad.gif

I'm accepting of Lazy Characters? So you've never read a single post I've written, then?
  • Yeah, I don't read every single post on this forum. When you say things like what you said above, it looks like you want lazy chars. Devs happily comply. Who wouldn't want the same reward for less effort?

Also, this forum sucks. Thank gosh they have a couple of volunteer mods (I think maybe only one now? Not sure). Otherwise, I wouldn't even be able to read anything from the spam. No different themes. Just this eye-scorching bright white. No mobile version of forum whose game is mainly mobile. No avatars.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have said this of the Lazy characters. If you tweak them I'm okay.

Lazy Thor - straight up port of 2* (although I still wondered if when the funbalanced 2* Thor, if that wasn't what Lazy Thor was and just so happened they were the same)

Lazy Cap - this guy is so much better. His blue is upgraded to leave a shield and his red has scale dmg he was a win in my book

Lazy Daken - they took a 2* with only 2 covers and created a 3* with 3 covers. This wasn't quite a new character but definely not lazy.

Lazy Storm - took a 1* made her a 3* increased the AP cost of one skill but added dmg.

Of those 4, 2 are not "lazy" as Daken and Cap are very similiar yet very much different than their 2* counterparts. Thor is a straight up port and deserves the title of Lazy. Storm might be in a category all her own. She's lazy and nerfed. But of the Lazy ports I'm cool with Daken and Cap. With Human Torch Lazy, I'm not sure if that qualfies as Lazy since all the did was downgrade a decent 3* to 2* category.

Are we defining lazy as taking the same character and just chaning the * value or are we defining lazy as taking a 1 or 2 * and making them a 3*?

I would prefer the Human Torch model or Daken/Cap model of Lazy. Either create a unique 3* and after awhile, port him to 2* with lesser values or do a slight redesign of a 1 or 2* into a 3* that plays functionaly different then the lesser value
  • Because it's almost never the one I want...
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Tank goes in the center position, Hawkeye goes in the left position (the left on display), the squishy goes in the right position. When Hawkeye avoids, he will avoid to tank. If you put Hawkeye in the safest right position, he will avoid to your squishie/non-tank instead.
  • Cool, thanks!
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    so if middle is 1, left is 2, and right is 3, it seems Hawkeye avoids to who is "in front" of him in tile priority -- aka 1(mid) if he is 2(left), 2(left) if he is 3(right), 3(right) if he is 1(mid).
This discussion has been closed.