* Storm (Modern) * [PRE 2014-07]

Comments

• mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    If Thor's green would take the opposing team out, I'd use that. If it would leave one or more of them alive, I'd use Storm's green to generate more AP for other powers first.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    With the crazy-high levels in PvE lately, Thor's green is frequently nowhere near enough to take out the opposing team. But you can create a great cycle of Storm green to Thor yellow, back and forth until the bad guys are whittled down enough that Thor's green finally is worth using. This is especially effective in the forest and desert, of course.
  • More <3s for ModStorm, as she has been selected to play in the Juggernaut-Heroic Mode event(Heretofore JuggHard).

Everyone go ahead and note your ModStorm build and experiences from the JuggHard event here!
  • El Zoof wrote:
    Modern Storm 5/5/3, OBW 2/5/2, and Thor 4/5/1. Stick them in the forest.

I call it Team Fintlewoodlewix. Yes, Modern Storm is kinda squishy, but that doesn't matter a bean if the opposing team never gets a turn.
    Stick them in the Desert.

Currently I find her very useful in PvP. I run Punisher120, maxed OBW and MStorm, and not only I'm able to get from the match with full health, I can take down enemies quite quickly.

And what's most important, all the abilities are useful. If I need AP, I use Storm's green. Otherwise, I shot Frank's green, then Molotov coctail, then Storm's Hailstorm, which, when boosted by the Strike Tiles (+270), deals quite a damage. Combined with OBW Espionage and I'm able to deal 3 x (Xdmg + 270dmg). Sometimes it's even worth to launch Storm's Red when there aren't many environment tiles, just for the sake of bonus damage.

Definitely best 1* character, as we can use her against 3* teams. I can easily win with 3x 100+ lvl enemies.
  • mStorm is surprisingly annoying to deal with for a * character(in a good way if she's on yor team)- easliy causing cascades and wiping out multiple**s and ***s on some lucky occasions. I personally the 5/4/4 build, although it doesn't really matter as long as Mistress of the elements is at least at level 4(so that it costs 6ap or less and can be triggered with only two matches); I know that it decreases in effectivity upon a few uses but still pretty great and fast-paced.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Let me ask you guys a question.

Suppose you are fighting in PVP as offense against a lv 50 M Storm.

Are you going to be worried about the one with the 5 AP Red Mistress, that could possible score a few cascades if she is lucky?

Or are you more worried about the Storm that can lay down 12 more attack tiles for 84 more DOT per turn?

Ask yourself that question. Then ask, which Storm would I rather have on defense?

Cascades can mean certain death for the entire team. Dodging 84 damage each turn is doable, mainly by removing most of those tiles. Getting hit by 10-15 environment tiles right away for 340-510 damage hurts more. Faster damage and faster possible victory makes more difference than a few storm tiles.
  • fedlex20
    fedlex20 Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    So, her green is about to change according to the new announcement (14 shattered tiles instead of 16). Is she still the best 1*?
  • If best in the sense that she still has 2 extremely cheap and effective methods of shaking up the board and gaining AP... Hell yes. It merely reduces the AP gain by 2, but with the possibility of a cascade occurring, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. Still extremely easy to power down with match-3s though.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Still the best 1*, but not so useful when compared to 2* characters now. I thought a single tile reduction would have been enough, but two is fine. This also evens out her abilities, although I would still go with 5/5/3.
  • although its a slight nerf to her green skill, but i think she's still very good to use, especially in desert or forest stage, imo. Hehee
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Updated original post with Storm's updated ability for Lightning Strike.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Hannybal wrote:
    although its a slight nerf to her green skill, but i think she's still very good to use, especially in desert or forest stage, imo. Hehee
    True but the two tile reduction does mean the ability chain tends to break a little more frequently.

I used her on the desert node during Top Gun (all my other useful characters were down) and she didn't seem to be able to combo to the same extent as she used too. Many times I could only Lightning Storm once before I either ran out of green or couldn't generate enough red to Mistress.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Small incremental changes like this are good! hopefully they'll consider it for cmags' blue
  • i think the nerf kinda killed me a bit but I still use her with A Wolverine until I have a powerful 2* team.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, as of R56, is 5/3/5 the way to go now?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Dunno, the damage output is still too low without powerful strike tiles. Black is good against special tile spammers though.
  • simonsez wrote:
    So, as of R56, is 5/3/5 the way to go now?

As long as you have 5 levels in "thank you sir, may I have another?" then D3 is happy.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Just to clarify, in R56 they changed her red to cost 9 AP instead of 5 AP, and deal 48 damage per tile instead of 34 damage per tile -- which is a 41% increase in damage for an 80% increase in cost. Another nice stealth nerf by the developers.

I'd agree with 5/3/5, since the damage change isn't proportional to the cost increase.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    john1620b wrote:
    Just to clarify, in R56 they changed her red to cost 9 AP instead of 5 AP, and deal 48 damage per tile instead of 34 damage per tile -- which is a 41% increase in damage for an 80% increase in cost. Another nice stealth nerf by the developers.

When did this happen??? This is the first I've heard of this change.

The R56 patch notes don't mention any changes to mStorm. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10236

EDIT: Never mind--just saw this post. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10234&start=20#p178451

Safe to say I will not be updating to R56 until after the current Heroic event. mStorm is too valuable right now.
  • She's now a weaker carbon copy version of her 3*** lazy version.

This is apparently the fate of all characters that are still deemed "useful" after a 3*** version of them is created... icon_e_confused.gif
This discussion has been closed.