** Hawkeye (Modern) ** [PRE 2014-09]

Comments

• Having been forced to use my Modern Hawkeye during this Heroic Venom event, I've come to almost despise his abilities. Blast Arrow and Electric Arrow a vast majority of time are removed from the board by the opposing player quite easily, whether it be a Hammer countdown tile or being placed directly into a 3 or 4 color match of the same color. Can you tweak them so they're a bit more like Classic Hawkeye? All he seems to do is deflect Damage onto other characters and use up precious AP on abilities that are far to easy to render useless. I'm half tempted to sell him for ISO because he's pretty much useless in most if my groups.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    See the Hawkeye Thread.
  • I saw this for the first time today and was like "WHAT THE TINYKITTY?". Then I realised I had enough for another Wind Storm icon_cool.gif "Dodge this you purple ballerina!"

I'm glad I found this thread as I was ready to post it as a bug.

Here is the real question: Does Hawkeye dodge ALL AOE attacks. Because if Wind Storm is the only one, then this is clearly a bug to me. If he dodges ALL then it's his special power and I would be ok with that.
  • He sucks. The red and blue countdown tiles easily get destroyed by the NPCs. Wish they were immediate like Classic
  • Hawkeye dodges all attacks except for stuns. That's why Wind Storm will still hit him if he's the main target.
  • Chaga
    Chaga Posts: 30
    I am playing hawkeye in the new venom pve.
    Whenever a pyro gets off, doesn't matter where hawkeye is standing, whoever takes his hit, is getting double dipped while hawkeye takes no damage.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Random idea for a new Hawkeye purple skill:

Keep it a passive, but have it give him the ability to regain some of the AP from his countdown tiles if they're destroyed before they go off. 2 AP per cover or something like that.

I'd much rather this than the irritations and complexity of Avoid.
  • Hawkeye dodges all attacks except for stuns. That's why Wind Storm will still hit him if he's the main target.
    Not being able to dodge stuns seems like it might be a bug, too. I'm guessing the stun effects him before Avoid can activate, but in game-logic he shouldn't have any more trouble dodging an attack just because it would knock him senseless if it hits, right?
  • DayvBang wrote:
    Random idea for a new Hawkeye purple skill:

Keep it a passive, but have it give him the ability to regain some of the AP from his countdown tiles if they're destroyed before they go off. 2 AP per cover or something like that.

I'd much rather this than the irritations and complexity of Avoid.

Avoid is actually a really great skill for him to have, and isn't as complicated as one may think. In the Hulk tourney, I took 3rd with no problem using him and daken, despite having 2 other high level 3* characters. It's Avoid that gives him a special flavoring, and creates many uses for team comp. As I stated before, if you can find teammates to pair with him that can shrug off or utilize the Avoid damage, you have a teammate that really doesn't need to be healed all that often, and brings a fairly strong blue stun to the table.

The 5/5/3 build is, in my experience using him constantly now, a horrible build. If a player does plan on playing with him, they should take into account that purple is his strongest match damage, so the AI will give match priority over that, which adversely affects Avoid at r3.

I built him 5/3/5, because that maximizes avoidance, and his blue is really the best skill he has. 3 red doesn't matter as much because more often than not you have a better red user, but still manages to be decent if you don't have a red in the team.

He is a very niche type character, that paired with any two star he will flounder, but there are three stars that can make him better, such as Hulk and Patch for instance. 2* Daken is a big iffy, but can work because between just the two off them, they have every color covered except the one that would end up killing Daken (eventually).

I don't think it's fair to write him off so easily. It's my firm belief that as your roster expands, you begin to find uses for him that make him a good team member. And as the BP/OBW pairing goes to show, it's not unheard of to have a 3* character be able to make a 2* better.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I agree with your logic, you completely render him offensively useless by only going 3 in red. Hawkeye is always going to be the last man standing since most players are going to focus him because he always dodges. The odds of having less than 6 purple doesn't happen very much and if you end up with Hawkeye as your last man standing, you can potential win with his red, but if you add one extra turn on the CD and decrease the damage that isn't going to happen. You have to look at how the AI will play him, and defensively, having 1 or 5 in purple isn't going to matter, since the opposing player will never target Hawkeye to begin with due to his dodge.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    While I agree with your logic, you completely render him offensively useless by only going 3 in red. Hawkeye is always going to be the last man standing since most players are going to focus him because he always dodges. The odds of having less than 6 purple doesn't happen very much and if you end up with Hawkeye as your last man standing, you can potential win with his red, but if you add one extra turn on the CD and decrease the damage that isn't going to happen. You have to look at how the AI will play him, and defensively, having 1 or 5 in purple isn't going to matter, since the opposing player will never target Hawkeye to begin with due to his dodge.

While it is true that he will not be targeted personally, I have found that plenty of teams now are running with some sort of Aoe ability, which can still potentially hit him. I experimented with different builds on purple, ranging from 3 to 5, and found that while keeping his Avoid at 3 makes his offensive capabilities more potent, it actually creates the bad scenario of him not lasting long enough to be the powerhouse the numbers game makes him out to be. He literally falls apart like a wet bag without his avoidance, so his usage decreases since his expected lifespan is likewise decreased.

Now, not only taking into account that he utilizes purple as his favorite color, you also have to compete with enemies tiles. Since two, possibly three big FotM characters utilize purple in their abilities, using r3 Avoid further becomes folly. His red isn't really a game ender compared to his blue, but still can be somewhat useful when it's the only red you are left with.

Because of his glass cannon health, I end up using him in more of a support capacity, since he essentially never gets hit or dies, and that saves on health pack usage, and gives a relatively cheap, delayed damage/stun that does its job extremely well.

YMMV, but this is my preferred build with him and he has served me much better than say C. Storm, who while her blue is in the numbers game much better, I find it easier to move from battle to battle in succession with Hawkeye more because he sticks around without any damage between battles.

Edit: As for the thought process behind how the AI will play, I have actually gotten more defensive wins with this build than with a 5/5/3, or a 5/4/4. I believe so long as you understand how he will Avoid (the mechanics surrounding it), who you have him set up to Avoid to, and how often he will Avoid, you have an ability that no other team that doesn't have Hawkeye to begin with will have: the ability to direct damage even while on defense, which is very potent, and can be used very effectively when done right.
  • sorry to hijack this thread... But i was playing simulator events whereby modern hawkeye is buffed in it I had an effective level 1xx hawkeye in the simulators, and i wanna say his blue and red skill is really awesome ! Love it though... wahhahha
  • I'm debating leveling him up, despite having moved on to 3*s, because he tends to get boosted all the time and - given he's apparently next up - he may actually be usable. I've used him in a few of the nodes where 2 of the other boosteds are unavailable lately, and he confirms all of my problems with him - his powers are hyper-unreliable, and avoid is an actively detrimental power, since it won't allow him to tank for low-hp teammates. But tweaked a bit, he could useable, and if he's boosted to 125, he could actually be valuable.

I'm not doing anything until the new specs are announced, of course.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2014
    I have been playing against him in the actual event and now avoid is able to dodge Call the Storm completely when there are other characters present, 0 damage done to him. This is new, it wasn't like that in the last event. Is there been any communication regarding this that I have missed? Is it a bug?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'm debating leveling him up, despite having moved on to 3*s, because he tends to get boosted all the time and - given he's apparently next up - he may actually be usable. I've used him in a few of the nodes where 2 of the other boosteds are unavailable lately, and he confirms all of my problems with him - his powers are hyper-unreliable, and avoid is an actively detrimental power, since it won't allow him to tank for low-hp teammates. But tweaked a bit, he could useable, and if he's boosted to 125, he could actually be valuable.

I would keep leveling 3*'s. If you leave a 3* and have 150 ISO left, sure throw it on him, over time you can get him leveled, but 141 3* is still higher than 125
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'm debating leveling him up, despite having moved on to 3*s, because he tends to get boosted all the time and - given he's apparently next up - he may actually be usable. I've used him in a few of the nodes where 2 of the other boosteds are unavailable lately, and he confirms all of my problems with him - his powers are hyper-unreliable, and avoid is an actively detrimental power, since it won't allow him to tank for low-hp teammates. But tweaked a bit, he could useable, and if he's boosted to 125, he could actually be valuable.

I would keep leveling 3*'s. If you leave a 3* and have 150 ISO left, sure throw it on him, over time you can get him leveled, but 141 3* is still higher than 125

I will; but I like to take a break every five levels or so and do something else. My MHawkeye is 60th; I could see taking him up a few levels every time the varsity team hits another milestone.
  • Latest patch notes as of 09 Jun 2014 reflects this on hawkeye. I don't really get what it means, anyone knows ?

- Hawkeye (Modern): Avoid
    - Hawkeye is now more cautious when he uses his Avoid ability. He will no longer jump to the front when the team is hit by an full team damaging ability when he is in the middle position in the current battle line-up.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Hannybal wrote:
    Latest patch notes as of 09 Jun 2014 reflects this on hawkeye. I don't really get what it means, anyone knows ?

- Hawkeye is now more cautious when he uses his Avoid ability. He will no longer jump to the front when the team is hit by an full team damaging ability when he is in the middle position in the current battle line-up.
    If you do an AoE damage to a team with M.Hawkeye, before the patch, although he avoids the damage, he actually moves to the front of the team to take the next hit if he was placed in No. 2 position (or left position in the starting line-up screen). This patch fixes that.
  • hurcules wrote:
    Hannybal wrote:
    Latest patch notes as of 09 Jun 2014 reflects this on hawkeye. I don't really get what it means, anyone knows ?

If you do an AoE damage to a team with M.Hawkeye, before the patch, although he avoids the damage, he actually moves to the front of the team to take the next hit if he was placed in No. 2 position (or left position in the starting line-up screen). This patch fixes that.
    Oh... that explains. I got a clearer picture now. thanks !
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    A couple times when playing PVP I've noticed that the opponent's M. Hawkeye is able to use his avoid power to be immune to team attacks, such as M. Storm's "Wind Storm." Is this how it's supposed to work? The power description suggests that it's intended to save him from a direct attack when he's in the front of the team.
This discussion has been closed.